3D printed ODST armor [picture heavy] (All files made available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found some photo's people took of me during the convention, and I have to say I finally found a new profile picture :)
qoKEwAQ.png

where does one find these professional pictures??
are they usually on the con site?
I know a professional/staff photographer go a picture of me but i didnt find it yet

This is why I love coscards. Business cards with your cosplay handles that you can trade with photographers and other cosplayers. It makes the post con tag storm so much easier plus you get to collect cool cards from friends.

View attachment DSC_1742.JPG

where does one find these professional pictures??
are they usually on the con site?
I know a professional/staff photographer go a picture of me but i didnt find it yet

Or alternatively, if you're like me and you've been going to every con without the foresight to make cards, or even a Facebook page, you'll have to scour the web, looking through every image taken at the con in the hopes of seeing a glimpse of your armor.

First, I check Google by searching for the name of the con and the year I was there. Sometimes you'll find con photos this way when people post on deviant art or flickr or some other photo site. Then I go to Facebook and look at the convention page. Sometimes the con will post something like "Let's see those con photos!" And then I can look through the comments. And finally, I do a search on Facebook for anyone mentioning the con. These results will often yield photos as well.

The problem with my method is that it's very time consuming, so you probably just want to make cards like a smart person.

Got a question, I got a 3D printer aswell, and I noticed your rucksack. Is that 3D printed aswell, and if so, do you have the file. Also, I also have a modified version of that SMG, where I modeled a suppressor based on scaling of an image of the weapon with the base file, and I eventually made a suppressor that slides over the barrel. Also made a few other changes. But again, do you have a file for the rucksack, or is it not 3D Printed?

Did you update the front page with the Backpack Files? I’d love to print one for my ODST costume as well. Cheers!

Welp, a LOT of people requested the release of my backpack files. I promised them that I'd release them once I got the hinges and lock fixed, but to be honest I don't think I got the time in the near future. Work's been busy :(

Therefore I'm releasing the files as I've used them today for free :)

Here you go!

There are watermarks in the files on non-visible spots (from the outside once assembled) to prevent theft. I hope they're not too intrusive. If they are, let me know. I'm not a monster ;)

Last edited:
FILE UPDATES, WOOHOO

I've finally had some me-time to just sit and work a bit on the models. All previous models which were pre-cut have now been re-assembled by a team of nanomachines (and super glue) and the models which weren't smoothed yet have been smoothed! Hooray! Now please excuse me while I get some coffee for myself because this took way longer than I anticipated.

If, for some guardian-forsaken reason, you don't want smoothness in your models (maybe you're cosplaying as a 2001 ODST?) I haven't removed the old files (yet). They're still available in the small print after each armor piece.

Here's the changelog of the files I've edited so you'll know what to expect (or reprint!):
CHEST Now smoothed and in 1 part! Makes me all jealous thinking about how blocky my chest is.
HIP PLATE Now smoothed and in 1 part!
GUANTLETS Now smoothed and in 1... You get the idea.
THIGHS I've combined all 8 parts, so now you have two parts: Inner and outer.
SHINS Cleaned up the page, made it more obvious I already smoothed and combined them in 1 part months ago.
AB My abs are all smoothed and oiled to go.
SIDE AB You might not believe me, but I smoothed this file too!

But but but... my small printer The precut files are usefull!?
Autodesk netfabb is a free program available for students, hobbyists, and small businesses. It allows you to cut up 3d printable files in smaller chunks. There are plenty of tutorials available online :) This is how I did it, so I can guarantee it works perfectly.

Watermarks?
I won't add watermarks like I did to my backpack. The reason being that none of these files are made from the ground up by me. They're heavily modified, yes, but they're not mine to brand. Doesn't mean you can steal them through.

Hope you all enjoy the file updates :)

Hi, I just wanna say, I have mad respect for the entire suit you've made and can only give my undying thanks and appreciation for you to have put the models out here, worked on them even after you finished your suit, and even put out your backpack files that you made from the ground up. I've been printing up my own suit using the models you put out here, and I don't think I otherwise would've been able to. (not looking as good as they do, atleast.)

Hi, I just wanna say, I have mad respect for the entire suit you've made and can only give my undying thanks and appreciation for you to have put the models out here, worked on them even after you finished your suit, and even put out your backpack files that you made from the ground up. I've been printing up my own suit using the models you put out here, and I don't think I otherwise would've been able to. (not looking as good as they do, atleast.)
Thank you very much! This really puts a smile on my face :)

I wish you best of luck on your build and I can’t wait to see finished!

Beautiful work! This is the only build I have found that includes all the files you need to do it yourself, thank you for the hard work that went into scaling, smoothing , and modeling them!

I’m not gonna lie, when I saw the picture you’re using as your profile picture, I would’ve sworn that it was a render who someone put textures on! Absolutely astonishing!

Hey ya'll. Time for a little update :)

First of all my top priority at this moment is mobility. The top area of the suit is fine, but the legs are really restricting. Furthermore I was not able to sit down nor sit on one knee for resting and cool photo's :(. So, I took out my trademark precision plastic removal tool (a cheap dremel with a cutoff wheel) and went to work on the shins!
0nw7uQQ.jpg

And here is me kneeling down:
tO0bNpn.jpg

Do you hear that? That's the sound of succes! :)

As you can see in these pictures, the texture on the shins are EXTREMELY wobbly and rough. The reason for this is time constraint, as I had to get it finished for the con. This time however the deadline is still months away so I went to work on smoothing it all out.

aNSB0Eg.jpg

Much nicer if I do say so myself. I FINALLY found some nice finishing spot putty that helped speed up this process a lot. No more wood filler for me :) Of course, I didn't leave it at one shin. The other one got the smoothing treatment as well! Here they are, with one painted black:
KV2zLsc.jpg

So smooth :D Now I only need to detail them with some gray and some scratches, but I didn't come around to do that yet.. The reason being that I've been working on another component of my suit.
MAKING MY SUIT SMART
Woah!
I want to have 3 modules spread through the suit. The first one, known as the control unit, is located in the left forearm. This unit contains an OLED display and a rotary encoder+pushbutton. The central processor for this unit is an atmega328p, simply because Arduino is easy and fun to work with. :) The other units are a central unit, located in the chest that manages battery levels and controls PWM signals towards the fans and leds. The third unit is in the helmet, but this one is really, really dumb. You will see it when I've finished it ;)
The way the units communicate is through a 4 terminal connector with 5v, gnd and two signal wires that follow a protocol that I designed myself specifically for this purpose. It has pretty fast communication, error checking through checksums, and can contain up to 1156 individual commands. Furthermore, it can run on an atmega328p without external crystal making it cheaper to use.

Here is the first prototype of the arm unit on perfboard:
GuMOcib.jpg

I had to cut a slot in my forearm to fit the display. After carefull measuring and looking around, I settled on this spot
gJNaM62.jpg

But now it's all rough :( Besides, the forearms have a shitty paintjob anway. You can guess what happened next ;)
CkPusJt.jpg

First I sanded and filled the entire thing where needed. Then.. CAMOFLAGE PATTERNS! The ODST's in the games have camoflage on their gauntlets too. Unfortunatly, I'm not nearly skilled enough to replicate that 1:1, so I had to improvise. Some paper masking patterns and double sided tape later, I got some nice camoflage patterns done.
The next step was to paint the things that should stay black.. well.. black. And to put a bit of red on the armor to make it pop more. Here's the final result before adding fake scratches:
GzG9dVw.jpg

It's still rough, but my forearms get scratched all the time from rubbing on my armor so I'm not TOOO worried about it. Might make it better in the future. Please note that the fake scratches are still missing. Like my backpack, they'll really make this part shine.
And here it is with the electronics mounted:
wUMds54.jpg

The cable is a simple usb cable that I cannibalized for the job. The cable connects to a connector hidden by the elbow shield.
I will make a video showcasing the menu structure pretty soon :)

Welp, that's all she wrote for now. See you all next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back