A 14 Year Old's Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
starting on the bicep now and will finish it tomorrow (morning perhaps?) Any one have any tips on making a cardboard build, like how to make thin even strips for my new sheath? Because a marker line isn't gonna cut it :p

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on which gun i should make? I know im going to make the pistol, but should i make a DMR? or an AR? both are going to be made of cardboard, and attached by magnets. I still need to buy rare earth magnets but i have the magnets for the pistol ready to go ( just gotta make the pistol and the thigh XP)

The magnets for anyone wanting to know are those little purse magnets that have the indent in the middle to lock it in place. that way, since magnets have a force that is mainly in one direction, the indent will keep it from being slid off, and only allowing it to be pulled off.

Helpful tips and criticism are welcome!

sorry bout the double post, but i think its update worthy..
so in the past days, i havnt been really working on the shoulder. I scaled it wayy wrong and its jacked up how i put together the design :p
BUT i did work on other pieces.
dscf0025.jpg

dscf0026.jpg

I did redo some parts to hold the pistol thats going to be made. so instead of detail, i added a magnet thats about the same size.
dscf0028.jpg

dscf0027.jpg

dscf0029.jpg

heres a crappy representation of a gun (glock :p) with a magnet hot glued on.
dscf0030.jpg

dscf0031.jpg

although it holds on pretty good....ish.... im planning to replace the magnet on the pistol with a magnet with an indent on it to fit in the hole. so it stays in place and doesnt slide off unless pulled off. plus theres too much room in between them...
dscf0032.jpg

heres a pic of my chest with an old Odst helmet i made to see what it would look like in real life. I think im sticking with the CQC helmet though. but, im going to try to build the hemlet last..
dscf0033.jpg

And your only 14? Geez, talk about natural talent. This looks amazing! I have a kid brother about your age and the most creative him and his friends get is legos. keep it up! can't wait to see the final product!

And your only 14? Geez, talk about natural talent. This looks amazing! I have a kid brother about your age and the most creative him and his friends get is legos. keep it up! can't wait to see the final product!
well, lego is how i started XD then i saw the Lego halo suit on YouTube, and i tried to build that. i failed as i only had bionicle pieces XD. so i looked up how to make one on instructables.com and i found Indy mogul which led me to here. maybe if you show your brother that, he would get inspired like me XD

Very awesome so far. Foam builds seem to be all the rage and suits like this show it's potential. Great work, can't wait to see some paint and some more pieces, keep it up.

Off topic post: lmfao i was reading the rules and offences sticky and i was offended when i read #4....

4.) Last one following Dunce Cap: Infrac. #3 or "Hammer Fodder" = 6 Month Ban.
Users incurring this punishment just haven't figure out how to post properly or they've been consistently disruptive or rude to other forum users. Meaning either they're ten years old or they're acting like a ten year old.

lol when i was 10, i was making an optimus prime suit. AND 10 years old. just wanted to point that out for the younger members that have potential... :p

On Topic post: ok, i finished the cod piece, and i noticed its a little big. like 3 inches of room XD so i removed the rectagular square on the edge and will attach them as pouches. I plan to build the shin tomorrow (both) and might start on the boots. Or i will start on the pistol. but i still havnt had any votes on which gun i should have, Dmr or Assault rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, lego is how i started XD then i saw the Lego halo suit on YouTube, and i tried to build that. i failed as i only had bionicle pieces XD. so i looked up how to make one on instructables.com and i found Indy mogul which led me to here. maybe if you show your brother that, he would get inspired like me XD

Well I've mentioned this before, and my workshopping projects usually take place at my parent's house anyway because my dad has an awesome shop. so hopefully I can get him interested. who knows, since hes kinda short maybe he should make a grunt suit and then me and him can create some shenanigans at the local walmart. :p

ok, I was just wearing the chest + cod + thighs. and im not really liking the transition of the detail on the cod. like, you look at the chest, you go to the cod, (low detail) then you go to the thigh. ( higher detail than the cod) are there any refrence pics of the cod details? or is it just really that bland...
plus, no body is suggesting which gun i should make! DX Dmr or AR?

Very nice. Im 15 and doing a foam build. I gotta say,the hardest part about the build is convincing my mom to buy more supplies when needed.

Wow, this is pretty amazing. Definitely a LOT better than my first attempt.

As for the Cod, it is kinda bland compared to the rest, but I've seen a couple of files that have some more detail to them than what yours has. Lemme see if I can find a link for you... Here we go. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31776-Reach-Cod-belt-needs-to-be-unfolded/page3 Towards the bottom there is a really smooth unfold. I know you are using foam for most of your suit, but at least this way you can see a good representation of the Cod.

As for weapons... I suggest the AR. And only because I've always been a fan of the AR.

Update time! well, update and a half........
ok so on friday and saturday, I didnt work on this AT ALL i was so busy with finishing my basement.
so i started to build another cod piece since the person above this post and I think it can be better. so im starting to build the less detail cod, but im not sure if i scaled it too small.... im kind of confused by the other cod because when i was building it, i thought it would be the right size, but it was TOO huge. now that the cod is smaller, im confused again. im not sure if it will turn out to have the same ratio of size as the other one...maybe you guys can help? here is a comparison pic with the chest.
dscf0034.jpg

dscf0036.jpg

an here is the huge cod next to the wip cod.
dscf0035.jpg

off topic post, I went to lowes wanting to buy another foam kit, but i walked past the dremel tools isle, i saw on display a slightly used dremel 4000 on sale for $65. and everything inside was still in the plastic! I think the only thing used about it was the box..... it was taped and tied together.... :p for the past day that ive had it, it works GREAT. wayyyyyy better than the 7.2.
pic:
dscf0037.jpg

Tell me about it. Tell them the supplies and they look at me like I am insane xD
lmao. my parents just gave up after i wouldnt shut up about fiberglass, resin, and bondo when i was 11 XP Still never got any though...... they convinced me its not safe XP

Ya thank god I learned about the foam build. I would never be able to make armor. They still want me to use a dust mask though >_>

Im very impressed with your foam build, I am terrrible when it comes to using foam, I tried it, Failed and never tried to do it again, I just have to say great job and keep it going

Holy crap man!! you are doing amazing, I'm doing my first suit too and i decides to do a halo 3 marine, i'm using the old pep,rondo then paint and sand method and my work is coming slowly, but you've mad astouding progress! i always wanted to use foam but i have no idea how its done. btw i'm 15 so it's nice to see some younger armor builder. i tell my freinds i'm building halo armor and they're like"wut?"If you want to look at my build it would be really helpfull with some more feedback.
ok that's enough of my babling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back