Achilles/ mark IV gen 1 build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by SPARTAN1803, Mar 4, 2017.

1. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well I finally have the back close to done. I plan on using foam core and cardboard for the center details. Just have to trace it out and glue it in. If there is a better method anyone can think of it would be greatly appreciated lol. Other then that I just need to get the parts under the arm done and put in the supports and it's time to harden! The left side of the back took me several nights! The mid bottom and the right side... one night lol! Got my motivation back!!!
    IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

Thom A293 likes this.
  2. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Didn't get much done this weekend. Had my wife's bday, my daughters dance recital and then Mother's Day today. Happy Mother's Day to all you mommy Spartans out there!!!

So what I did was lay the back of the chest piece agains the cardboard and traced to open space onto it.
    IMG_0671.JPG

After that I took a ruler and measured the inside of the back. I marked of the furthest length I could go in from the opening in the back until I hit the back side of the detail pieces surrounding the opening on the back, the basic distance was about a quarter inch. I marked this on the cardboard and then straight lined it to add a quarter inch outline to the pattern and this will be used as a lip for glueing
    IMG_0670.JPG

i placed in into the back and it fits prefect. I just have to do the border to the opening and then glue the cardboard in and add the raised faces for the center detail.
    IMG_0669.JPG

That's it for now. I'll post a pic once all this is done. Then after that it's the under arm and then supports and then on to hardening. I ordered some smooth-on 321 for hardening. I'm going to test it on the shoulder. 3 layers on the outside and 3 on the inside. I got the trial size so if I have extra after that I'll probably slush the shoulder. If all turns out well I'll purchase the gallon for the chest.

On another note, I'm contemplating on how I'm going to do the under armor for this armor variant IMG_0165.JPG

I plan on using foam but it's gonna pain to make the template!

3. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

UPDATE!!!

Okay, so tonight I pep'ed the brim to the center and traced out the edge on the cardboard
    IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0677.JPG

After that I measure the thickness of the flat part of the brim and made a spacer out of foam core
    IMG_0682.JPG

I did the same for the bottom detail crossing the bottom. Added some hot glue and bam! Like a glove!!!
    IMG_0685.JPG

Needs a tad bit of work but this custome piece has saved me hours of detail peping! Tomorrow night I'll be cutting out the raised pieces and glueing them in.

Thom A293 and mblackwell1002 like this.
  4. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

Looking good bro! Also, I noticed something. I believe it will save you some more time with assembling your Pepakura. Alot more! Change the setting of your fold lines. Leave your mountain folds as is, then change your valley fold lines to solid. Ditch the pen for sure! Marking the fold lines with a pen is totally useless, because it's taking away from shortening your build time. And I think I've seen someone mention it helps with scoring your fold lines. Nahhh...... Not really. Instead try this. Keep using your straight edge(preferably a plastic straight edge), but flip your xacto blade over to score the paper. Then sit back, and be amazed! You'll be like hmmmmm, SBG is awesome! Not to say that I'm giving myself credit mblackwell1002.

Forgot to mention this to.Stay away from the little liars! I'm referring to the edge IDs. Have you tried lining up the numbers, and then the two edges you were trying to glue didn't line up? Easy fix, glue a tab on one end, then do the opposite side. Just make sure the corners on the very end of the edges are lined up as close as you can possibly get them. Once the ends are glued, repeat until you get to the middle tabs to glue.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    SPARTAN1803 and mblackwell1002 like this.
  5. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Lmao I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the tip! I only have 4 more pieces to pep. The rest will be foam. I debating on doing Emile's shoulder but I'm not sure. I just don't like the look of the smaller shoulder armor for this variant.

SavedbyGraceG12 likes this.
  6. SavedbyGraceG12

Gotcha, would be interesting to see what Emile's shoulder looks like with your armor!

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  7. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Yet another update!

I cut all the floating faces out and stenciled then to either foam core or cardboard, just depended on the thickness I needed
    IMG_0689.JPG
    After they were traced I cut them out and glued them all in place. Some of the spacing is off but the saved time is totally worth it. I cut and glued the card stock, traced it, cut those out and glued them in place in about an hour. Just peping a portion of this would have taken a whole night!
    IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  8. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well it's been a while since I've posted and update not too much has changed just been a busy month!

I got on side done on the bottom. Just need to get the other side done and get all the edges on, then it's done and on to the hardening phase!
    IMG_0826.JPG

Speaking of hardening, I'm trying a new method that I've seen but isn't very favored because of price. I'm using smooth cast 321 to harden my pep. I did 5 layers on both sides. Now just to see if the bondo will adhere!
    IMG_0815.JPG IMG_0816.JPG

I got these bad boys from Valentine DuPont on the halo props pages on Facebook. Awesome detail and the went together easily!
    IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0927.JPG

9. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well the pep phase is finally done!!!

IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG

Just gotta harden and bondo and I'll feel a lot more at ease.

IMG_0935.JPG
    Also got my next piece downloaded and ready to print

10. Voren Marr

Voren Marr

Fantastic work my friend. Cracking looking helmet...

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  11. SavedbyGraceG12

I agree with Voren! Hey bro. By any chance, those pdo files for both shoulders does it give the option to export them as Obj files?

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  12. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Thanks guys! Not that I know of, I've pulled everything I'm using from the armory here. I've got the MK IV gen I shoulder bondo'ed but I'm gonna wait till I sand it to post any pics

13. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well I'm finally pleased with how it the shoulder has turned out.

First layer I used way too much!!!
    IMG_0940.JPG

After I sanded it down I marked out remaining imperfections (most of which I caused)
    IMG_0942.JPG

After learning less is more the second layer looked a lot better. I sanded it down and then a good once over with high grit sand paper.
    IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0952.JPG

I have some lighting plans involving a few needler shards. Just need to decide how I want to do it. Any tips would be much appreciated!!! I'm thinking hot glue sticks for the needler shards

Attached Files:

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  14. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well I've got most of the security shoulder done. First foam armor piece I've done. I think it turned out pretty good. Gotta get it shaped a little better and add a few of the smaller pieces. Not sure how I'll fasten this to the rest of the armor though. Gonna be a while before I do anything else. I'm gonna be gone the next week playing paintball!

IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0966.JPG

SavedbyGraceG12 and PaiganBoi like this.
  15. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Shoulder is looks great.

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  16. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot New Member

Lookin' good thusfar. Any idea what piece you're aiming to tackle next?

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  17. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

I'm probably going to do the biceps next then forearms. I'm currently pondering how I'm going to connect the bicep to the security shoulder. Any ideas out there?

18. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot New Member

You could probably just add some in between plating, kinda like an extension that bridges out of the forearm then slots into the shoulder.

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  19. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

That's what I was thinking, I was gonna take some reference pics on halo 5 in machinima mode but I don't have the armor lol!

20. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Been a while since I've posted anything on this. Ive got the cod piece done and started hardening the chest.

I have to make some extensions to fit the waist and glue it all to nylon strapping.
    IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1136.JPG

So far this is all I have done for the bicep. Chose the lowest detailed piece to size test
    IMG_1146.JPG

And got the front on the chest hardened. I'll probably harden the shoulders tonight.
    IMG_1148.JPG

Thanks all for now guys. I'll do an update once I have both biceps done!

21. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Well I got both biceps done
    IMG_1187.JPG

The chest is resined, I just have to get the brackets under the arms
    IMG_1173.JPG

And I got some lights in the mail!!! The first two I got BOTH had shorts in the half way through but these look great!!
    IMG_1186.JPG

I'm planning on installing them like so...
    IMG_1177.JPG

Other then that I'm currently on a stand still. I printed the forearms but the were a bit too small. Went to reprint and my printer is printing black on the whole sheet. Gotta try a few things to trouble shoot it but will most likely buy a new one, so that gives me time to harden the parts I have and bondo them. I'll be doing the legs in foam so if all goes well this costume will be done by September!!!

PaiganBoi and mblackwell1002 like this.
  22. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Had some printer issues last week so I did some work on the shoulder!!!
    IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1231.JPG

I wasn't too happy with the spartan stencil. I wanted it to look painted on but it didn't really turn out the way I pictured but once I weathered it I was really taking to it. All I have left to do is the lights for the needles and this piece is DONE!

23. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Wanted to wait till I had more to show but...
    IMG_1235.JPG IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1237.JPG

mkshane81, PaiganBoi and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  24. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Neat idea, looks cool ...... are those needles from etsy?

SPARTAN1803 likes this.
  25. SPARTAN1803

SPARTAN1803 Member

Yeah. I ran into a guy on Facebook that 3D printer them for the needler nerf gun and he had some spares left over. While I was deciding which armor I wanted to make the idea popped in my head because of all the open space on this shoulder, but I didn't know what I was gonna make the needles out of ( was thinking hot glue sticks). I was going through the halo props page and saw that a guy was like minded and used these on a helmet and found the guy who made the needles through him

SI3RRA 117 likes this.