Achilles/ mark IV gen 1 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all very much! It's kinda slow going right now, I'm only getting a couple hours a night to work on it and the detail is the most I've had in a piece

Hey SPARTAN1803, that looks much better.

It looks so much better compared to the first keep the great work up

Maybe toothpaste will work? It dries similar and good for people who don't like mustard like myself haha I'll try it out when I paint

It looks awesome

those green detail lines look awesome.

Thanks man! Taping them off was a HUGE pain! Now that I have an airbrush it should be a lot easier. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do for the rest of the armor. I definitely want to use EL sheets for lighting. The picture I have attached is what I have planned for the shins except the center piece. Doing all 3 spots might be a bit of overkill!
IMG_0431.JPG

Well the front is done!! Got a bit of the collar started I'm hoping to get to the back tomorrow night. Guess I should make the braces for it soon to help it keep its shape when I'm not working on it
IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0448.JPG

Nice job! Halo wars builds are very impressive because of the complexity and depth of the armor, and this is gonna turn out great!

Nice job! Halo wars builds are very impressive because of the complexity and depth of the armor, and this is gonna turn out great!
Thanks man! It's taking forever. Longer then I'd like but it's worth it. Not much of an update but I've got a shoulder strap completed. I'm not going to do anything with it today. I've been looking at reference pics and I have some really awesome ideas for light throughout the armor!
IMG_0464.JPG

Well I have lost a lot of motivation on this thing. Lack of time mainly but I'm slowly moving forward.View attachment 242979 View attachment 242980 View attachment 242981

Looks like your good to go with the scaling of the chest! Little tip, to help with the lack of motivation, no matter how much, or how little of time you have. Always remember the reason why you first started the build! Sure it seems like a long haul, but we fellow Spartans are coming along the ride with you. We aren't going anywhere. Keep pressing on!

Looks like your good to go with the scaling of the chest! Little tip, to help with the lack of motivation, no matter how much, or how little of time you have. Always remember the reason why you first started the build! Sure it seems like a long haul, but we fellow Spartans are coming along the ride with you. We aren't going anywhere. Keep pressing on!

And that's what makes us Spartans! Thanks man! I needed that!

Well I finally have the back close to done. I plan on using foam core and cardboard for the center details. Just have to trace it out and glue it in. If there is a better method anyone can think of it would be greatly appreciated lol. Other then that I just need to get the parts under the arm done and put in the supports and it's time to harden! The left side of the back took me several nights! The mid bottom and the right side... one night lol! Got my motivation back!!!
IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

Didn't get much done this weekend. Had my wife's bday, my daughters dance recital and then Mother's Day today. Happy Mother's Day to all you mommy Spartans out there!!!

So what I did was lay the back of the chest piece agains the cardboard and traced to open space onto it.
IMG_0671.JPG

After that I took a ruler and measured the inside of the back. I marked of the furthest length I could go in from the opening in the back until I hit the back side of the detail pieces surrounding the opening on the back, the basic distance was about a quarter inch. I marked this on the cardboard and then straight lined it to add a quarter inch outline to the pattern and this will be used as a lip for glueing
IMG_0670.JPG

i placed in into the back and it fits prefect. I just have to do the border to the opening and then glue the cardboard in and add the raised faces for the center detail.
IMG_0669.JPG

That's it for now. I'll post a pic once all this is done. Then after that it's the under arm and then supports and then on to hardening. I ordered some smooth-on 321 for hardening. I'm going to test it on the shoulder. 3 layers on the outside and 3 on the inside. I got the trial size so if I have extra after that I'll probably slush the shoulder. If all turns out well I'll purchase the gallon for the chest.

On another note, I'm contemplating on how I'm going to do the under armor for this armor variant IMG_0165.JPG

I plan on using foam but it's gonna pain to make the template!

UPDATE!!!

Okay, so tonight I pep'ed the brim to the center and traced out the edge on the cardboard
IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0677.JPG

After that I measure the thickness of the flat part of the brim and made a spacer out of foam core
IMG_0682.JPG

I did the same for the bottom detail crossing the bottom. Added some hot glue and bam! Like a glove!!!
IMG_0685.JPG

Needs a tad bit of work but this custome piece has saved me hours of detail peping! Tomorrow night I'll be cutting out the raised pieces and glueing them in.

Looking good bro! Also, I noticed something. I believe it will save you some more time with assembling your Pepakura. Alot more! Change the setting of your fold lines. Leave your mountain folds as is, then change your valley fold lines to solid. Ditch the pen for sure! Marking the fold lines with a pen is totally useless, because it's taking away from shortening your build time. And I think I've seen someone mention it helps with scoring your fold lines. Nahhh...... Not really. Instead try this. Keep using your straight edge(preferably a plastic straight edge), but flip your xacto blade over to score the paper. Then sit back, and be amazed! You'll be like hmmmmm, SBG is awesome! Not to say that I'm giving myself credit mblackwell1002.

Forgot to mention this to.Stay away from the little liars! I'm referring to the edge IDs. Have you tried lining up the numbers, and then the two edges you were trying to glue didn't line up? Easy fix, glue a tab on one end, then do the opposite side. Just make sure the corners on the very end of the edges are lined up as close as you can possibly get them. Once the ends are glued, repeat until you get to the middle tabs to glue.

Last edited:
Lmao I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the tip! I only have 4 more pieces to pep. The rest will be foam. I debating on doing Emile's shoulder but I'm not sure. I just don't like the look of the smaller shoulder armor for this variant.

Yet another update!

I cut all the floating faces out and stenciled then to either foam core or cardboard, just depended on the thickness I needed
IMG_0689.JPG
After they were traced I cut them out and glued them all in place. Some of the spacing is off but the saved time is totally worth it. I cut and glued the card stock, traced it, cut those out and glued them in place in about an hour. Just peping a portion of this would have taken a whole night!
IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG

Well it's been a while since I've posted and update not too much has changed just been a busy month!

I got on side done on the bottom. Just need to get the other side done and get all the edges on, then it's done and on to the hardening phase!
IMG_0826.JPG

Speaking of hardening, I'm trying a new method that I've seen but isn't very favored because of price. I'm using smooth cast 321 to harden my pep. I did 5 layers on both sides. Now just to see if the bondo will adhere!
IMG_0815.JPG IMG_0816.JPG

I got these bad boys from Valentine DuPont on the halo props pages on Facebook. Awesome detail and the went together easily!
IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0927.JPG

Well the pep phase is finally done!!!

IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG

Just gotta harden and bondo and I'll feel a lot more at ease.

IMG_0935.JPG
Also got my next piece downloaded and ready to print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back