Airsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho610

Hey,

I'm wondering because ive done a couple of these suits before but i'm not willing to destroy one by shooting at it with an Airsoft Gun.

But a couple of my buddys I airsoft with want me to make some ODST helmets and paint them with ACU, And MARPAT camo looking style......but to get to the end of this story is do you think a Fiber Glassed and Bondoed ODST helmet could take a 500 FPS gun?

Alex beat me to the video. But let me say this, no way in hell will your armor survive a hit from a 500 fps airsoft gun. First off, the 405th doesn't recomend using your armor for anything like paintball, running through the battle feild, airsoft, ect. The armor made here is made for the enjoyment of the fandom, and is no way even ment to be used for rough action. Plus your gear isn't certified gear, so I doubt that it would hold up against a 300 fps gun.

I don't want to be rude, but it would be such a shame to have completed your armor, and then have it pepperd to shreds with you in it.

alright... i was asking becuase some people asked me if i could and i didnt want to make it w/o knowing! so thanks guy!

good thing you asked first :p

maybe the helmet will last if you molded it out of plastic?

but that's really expensive D:

I'll just quote what i just typed up on another thread. Thank you for asking before going through with it though!

Anywho, i'll give you a quick run down of why this idea isnt the shining example of awesomeness it could potentially be. Yes, wearing your armor in a paintball or airsoft game would kick a lot of "Tuches" (pronounced tuh-hus... it means "ass"...), you'd be eyecandy, you'd look good shooting people and you'd get a real feel for what the games are trying to replicate, real life. Unfortunately the materials used to make this COSPLAY armor is rather unreliable when it comes to being brutal beaten up. This leaves you with a greater potential of insuring yourself and others during the rush of both these sports. Not only that, but both Paintball and Airsoft are intensely watched because of there "gray zone" legality and seemingly dangerous look to them. Both paintball and airsoft are strictly enforced to make it as safe as possible, when you bring in your home made, unprofessional armor onto the field, this is an instant risk addition while playing. Neither Paintball nor Airsoft can afford to take (another) hit from a person acting stupid or irresponsible. I am fairly sure that the 405th also doesnt want some kind of press release saying that a man or woman in a halo costume just lost an eye or broke some bone, not a very good thing to hear, especially when that person learned all they know from this site.

The main point is that if you have any respect for the two sports, and prop replication for that matter, you wont do something as irresponsible as bringing your home made stuff on to the field.

Don't get me wrong though, i would love to wear a full ODST suit while running around shooting people (airsoft at least :) ). But I dont want to be the one who ruins the sport it for everyone else when more rules are enforced or the sport is restricted all together.

thanks for all the help guys, but I got message on here from someone that found a way to make a Helmet resist the force of bb's.........and make it safe, so i think im going to make a halo 2 ODST helmet cause i made one of those in like a day, and i will do test's with the way sumone told me........if it works my close friend up here where i liv owns a Airsoft store and ill bring it to him to see if its safe enough to use?!?!

Kinda want it to work but it is mostley my friends wanting me to do it, personally i think is would make it harder to play.

Even if your armor will withstand the paintballs or airsoft pellets, it won't withstand you running around, slamming into walls/trees, sliding in behind barricades, and other rigors of "combat". The paintjob won't last either. So as cool as you think it would look to be running around with this stuff on, after a half hour it would be broken and marred, and you'd look foolish. The only alternative would be to baby it, and not play hard, in which case you're just going to do poorly at the game, and once again look foolish. It's a pretty lose-lose situation.

You wanna go and test a few pellets on your helmet, that's fine and all if it's in a secluded area sitting on some stand. All of us could care less. But the fact is, by doing this in game, you disrespect both those sports and us simply because you rather mess around with something like this. You have no idea how difficult it has been for airsoft alone to keep it's figure of safety at what it is today, and you think it's fine to jeopardize all that people have gone through to keep their sport for what exactly? It isnt worth the risk, and i think you need to seriously reconsider just how much your making your image look on this site by going along with it after all these warnings...

Psycho610 said:
thanks for all the help guys, but I got message on here from someone that found a way to make a Helmet resist the force of bb's.........and make it safe, so i think im going to make a halo 2 ODST helmet cause i made one of those in like a day, and i will do test's with the way sumone told me........if it works my close friend up here where i liv owns a Airsoft store and ill bring it to him to see if its safe enough to use?!?!

Kinda want it to work but it is mostley my friends wanting me to do it, personally i think is would make it harder to play.

Making armor isn't cheap, so unless you have a wallet made of gold, then your friends are going to end up with tons of money in materials, and you'll be out a considerable amount.

And if the person messaging you isn't willing to make a post, either what they're saying is disputed, or they're outright wrong. If you could post the message here, we'd be able to help.

Now, if you want to get your friends killed or injured, go right ahead and make them some helmets, but otherwise just don't do it. It may sound like a good idea, giving your friends some helmets from a video game, but you will ultimately be to blame when they injure themselves.

EDIT: Also, as said above, if you're willing to risk the legal status of airsoft for a plastic helmet, chances are you shouldn't be playing, whether it's for your friends or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The armor will be fine when shot at, the surface and paint wont. Paint will chip, and the surface will have small cracks. If you cast using Flex Foam the BB's will "bounce off" not causing damage to the armor.

ps. Humans didnt perfect war, they created something horrible from what no other species follow.

Kodorei said:
The armor will be fine when shot at, the surface and paint wont. Paint will chip, and the surface will have small cracks. If you cast using Flex Foam the BB's will "bounce off" not causing damage to the armor.

ps. Humans didnt perfect war, they created something horrible from what no other species follow.

You need to do A LOT more research. The armor won't be fine, it'll be cracked, broken, chipped, and I mean all the armor, not the surface and paint. If everyone else has said that it WONT HOLD UP, and we have a video proving it, why would you go past our warnings, and tell him "The armor will be fine when shot at"? And no, flex-foam is no way any better than the hard, thick plastic? Dude, it's foam. Foam, not even close to ideal material to stopping bb's. The foam will fly off in chunks.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, I don't want to see anybody getting hurt, and their armor destroyed. And I'm not trying to come down on you in any way, Kodorei, I just know from countless reports, warnings, and videos that using anything other than CERTIFIED AIRSOFT GEAR, is stupid, and unsafe.

The only way to make sure that you won't have armor failure is to use 2-3 layers of kevlar fabric underneath the cardstock instead of fiberglass. You can of course put fiberglass over the top of the kevlar after you're done, but even then you will still get chips and cracks and possible spiderwebs when the BB hits the outer shell of resin & bondo, and you will most likely have cracks in the kevlar layer that will need repairing. Not to mention that 2-3 layers of kevlar fabric will cost you a few hundred dollars more when you build your parts. There is no way to have 100% survivable body armor unless it is AIRSOFT CERTIFIED!!

Cayoke said:
Just go have a nerf war in you armor.

i agree foam darts wont hurt your armor!

if not go get you the plasma blaster or whatever it is that looks like the AR and paint it black or something.

plasma_blaster.jpg

Yea i know, guys like all i was asking is if it would work some guys asked if i could.....I just wanted to make sure i wasnt making stuff that will break okay dang people.....

Psycho610 said:
Yea i know, guys like all i was asking is if it would work some guys asked if i could.....I just wanted to make sure i wasnt making stuff that will break okay dang people.....

Nah don't take it bad. It's all about safety. If you get hurt because of your helmet, your parents/friends will turn to us.

Eyes aren't clone-ables. You have 2. If you want to wear the rest of the outfit, it's fine. But it'll take a beating, that's for sure. At least, you'll have both your eyes behind convenient ballistic goggles ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back