Andrew Lowenthal Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Just wanted to put up a quick warning to everyone here at the 405th about Andrew Lowenthal.

Andrew has already been caught recasting my work and a few members here got burned when they bought horrible recast of my Halo2 sword handle from him.. now Andrew is solicitng sales at eBay using photos of my ODST helmet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250540357650&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Andrew has been caught before, and I don't expect that he'll own up to anything, he usually claims to be his younger brother, or that there is some mix up with items that were left at home when one sibling went away to college. I'm sure it won't be long until he comes by here to see this... I'd just like to remind you Andrew... I have your home address from when I sent you the energy sword handle you won from the contest that I ran here... I will contact the authorities and give them your home address.

Heads up to everyone else.. do not do business with Mr. Lowenthal... spread the word.

I have already reported this sale as fraudulent at eBay... just be advised.

-Sean

Many thanks to GearsofHalo for bringing this to my attention..

He never gives up does he? I've stuck this, hopefully it'll get more attention and prevent people from dealing with him.

I think it should also be noted that those images were only distributed in the classifieds section here... which means that Andrew is still a member, has a dummy account, and probably still has access to the classifieds. I remember we banned one of his other accounts a few months back.. but I would operate under the assumption that he's still here.

Don't do business with any Lowenthals from Pettit Drive in Hudson Illinois.

That is horrid, although I must say the first thing that caught my attention was the name "Andrew" as that is my name hehe, I didn't read the Lowenthal part.. So all I got was "Andrew warning" and was wondering if I did something naughty lol. It's sad though, that the kid who won the contest turned to this.

I threw up a warning like you asked, I just didnt see this one. It is in the classifieds section. I dont know if you just want to delete the thread.

Thanks for the heads up, Sean.

001 said:
That is horrid, although I must say the first thing that caught my attention was the name "Andrew" as that is my name hehe, I didn't read the Lowenthal part.. So all I got was "Andrew warning" and was wondering if I did something naughty lol. It's sad though, that the kid who won the contest turned to this.

It's funny that you mention that...because my name is Andrew too, and I thought the exact same thing too. Except I saw the Lowenthal part afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up on this disreputable fellow, Sean. And thanks for sticky-ing this thread, Belakor. The more people who see this, the better. It'll be less profit-without-effort made by him, which hopefully will send him a message.

Not really counting on it, but one can hope.

Sean Bradley said:
I think it should also be noted that those images were only distributed in the classifieds section here... which means that Andrew is still a member, has a dummy account, and probably still has access to the classifieds. I remember we banned one of his other accounts a few months back.. but I would operate under the assumption that he's still here.

[...]

It's not uncommon for fraudulent individuals in the prop community to set up "dummy" (also known as "sock puppet") accounts on forums where they've previously been banned from. I've come across such behaviour more than once on the prop forums I frequent.

Keeps them in the loop of what's going on, without anyone really knowing it's them. Sneaky little b******s, imho.

The best thing to do in such cases is to identify the IP address of the individual's original banned account and do a search for the same IP address for any of the existing accounts on the site. If found, you can then ban the individuals' subsequent "sock puppet" accounts.

I don't how the Admin/Mod group do basic post/member IP searches here, but I know how I did it on a Star Trek-related forum (they use Invision Power Board as the base for the site), so it should be equally easy to do here.

Of course, I'm not part of the Admin/Mod group here by any means. Just a friendly suggestion :cool

Still at it? Jeez, develop your own skills and stop living off of other peoples hard work.

Good to see you caught him early before he could make a profit off of it on Ebay.

SPARTAN II said:
Thanks for the heads-up on this disreputable fellow, Sean. And thanks for sticky-ing this thread, Belakor. The more people who see this, the better. It'll be less profit-without-effort made by him, which hopefully will send him a message.

Not really counting on it, but one can hope.

It's not uncommon for fraudulent individuals in the prop community to set up "dummy" (also known as "sock puppet") accounts on forums where they've previously been banned from. I've come across such behaviour more than once on the prop forums I frequent.

Keeps them in the loop of what's going on, without anyone really knowing it's them. Sneaky little b******s, imho.

The best thing to do in such cases is to identify the IP address of the individual's original banned account and do a search for the same IP address for any of the existing accounts on the site. If found, you can then ban the individuals' subsequent "sock puppet" accounts.

I don't how the Admin/Mod group do basic post/member IP searches here, but I know how I did it on a Star Trek-related forum (they use Invision Power Board as the base for the site), so it should be equally easy to do here.

Of course, I'm not part of the Admin/Mod group here by any means. Just a friendly suggestion :cool

On most forum software Mods have the ability to see users passwords from a MCP, online users list, or something similar. I don't know if that's the case, but I doubt it will help. If this guy has any brains, and a dynamic IP, he's probably already changed his IP address, or is using a proxy.

I wouldn't worry about his dummy account. If he is a known recaster who isn't making any money, he'll probably leave soon.

If he continues, that's because he is making money...

People are uninformed, especially on ebay. Sadly, even if we posted tons of stickies about recasters, the bidders are probably not members here, and unaware of who they're dealing with. Maybe even unaware of what recasting really is.

Never buy props on eBay. If it's cheap and from someone you don't know, either it's broken or about to break. Or it's recasted.

LastSpartan said:
If he continues, that's because he is making money...

People are uninformed, especially on ebay. Sadly, even if we posted tons of stickies about recasters, the bidders are probably not members here, and unaware of who they're dealing with. Maybe even unaware of what recasting really is.

Never buy props on eBay. If it's cheap and from someone you don't know, either it's broken or about to break. Or it's recasted.

Exactly. Since he specified that it won't be the exact item in the picture, eBay may not take it down, and in turn Andrew will end up making a profit. Your best bet, Sean, is calling up the authorities if the sale ends up happening (at least 1 bid or buy it now sale closes) and reporting it. If it doesn't sell, keep an eye on his eBay account, at the very least.

Sean Bradley said:
I think it should also be noted that those images were only distributed in the classifieds section here...

Just a thought but could he have found them on your Photobucket account?

Item is no longer available for purchase on eBay as of 9:30 eastern time.

Good work on letting them know Sean!!

I HATE RECASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jejejeje :lol

Sean, I will keep on my RECASTER Sensor, so If I detect that guy I will give you a call.

muhaha.

good!

I hate people like that.

that put a smile on my face when I saw the message " The Auction is no longer available" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back