Another NCR gas mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

blutn

Hey guys Ive been lurking on the boards for quite some time contemplating making a halo outfit as I wanted to do a halloween where I turned up on my bright red ducati with a masterchied helmet..

Well Instead of that I have decided to start with an NCR ranger gas mask as a group of my friends have started running a fallout LARP group with airsoft guns (this is film quality props not gaffa tape foam etc check out Dummnonni larp on youtube for a fantasy comparison) and well I really really wanted an ncr gas mask to go with a post apocaliptic wild west sheriff outfit.. (i wonder how many more genres i can mash in there??)

well so im not 2 days into the build and thought I would share what Ive done so far and just update this as and when I make any progress..

I would like to THANK Kommissar for his epic build thats provided quite a bit of inpiration and the guy who did the original pep 3d model I dont know your name but im sure you will recognise your work... you sir are a Leg End.... and any one else that has posted up about pep, bondo/rondo sanding and all of the steps involved this site is really full of some helpfull and interesting people and tips...

so heres the images

5511127648_fb6c46ee91_s.jpg

5510526417_4d37340e2e_s.jpg

5510525225_0ddbaa3dfa_s.jpg

5510524079_941e5904c3_s.jpg

5510522923_c4f57250d9_s.jpg

This is not the cowboy hat Im going to use I promise.. its the Wifes and was just to get an idea of what it will look like..

On a final note.. if your lurking and thinking about making one.. do it! it really is not as hard as it looks and for about £15 and a little time you too can have a model of whatever you want...

SHould be working now.. I can never work these forums properly.. now hosted on my flicker account so it should work although only small at the moment.

Ok so not I have finally finished covering the entire outside of the piece in body filler.. I think its time i popped to the shop to get some (aka ALLOT) of sand paper as I do not have myself a power sander at the moment which sucks

Really like this costume. I might be making one once I am finished my helghast costume. Are you planning on putting leds in the goggles?

i havent decided exactly how im going to do it yet. i was thinking maybe a red tint with a couple of led's behind it, i was also thinking about maybe having a torch attached to the headset instead of a camera..
I love that mask in your avater by the way looks pretty damn cool

So i have done the first pass at sanding looking ok I do however need to backfill allot of the imperfections which I will be doing tomorrow with mud (rondo) I dont think its too bad for my first ever attempt at a pep file for mask build... I really like how the lines are nice and crisp, heres hoping I can still keep them..

This was with 60grit sand paper once every thing is shaped and not too many inperfections ( Ill might keep some to add to the worn look of a 200 year old mask) ill start working up the grits to get it really smooth ready for painting.
IMG_0167.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0171.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0169.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest work,
I covered it in a thin layer of Mud (rondo) to fill in all the gaps in the body filler. Using a small brush made it allot easier than using a spreader..

I sprayed it black to see all the inperfections and have now sanded it smooth on the majority of the piece, I need to work more on the amp area at the front but I got a little bored sanding yesterday.

I have also made a start on scratch building the filter, this is a random mould that i found and fits perfectly in the filter hole.

I have also cut out the back of the support and can now put my face in, it is surprisingly snug and quite comy, I will be using a cloth hinge fibre glassed into both pieces and a hook latch so I can still have it as one whole unit rather than just throwing it away..

latest impressions... almost as smooth as an androids butt!

IMG_0176-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0178.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0179.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks pretty good. Nice tidy build. I kept mine a bit rough, and am planning to weather up the dents and stuff to make it look beat up (which works well for me, because I'm a lazy bugger =P). I'm looking forward to seeing this all painted up! Are you going to do a full outfit? or just the mask?

Looks like Hugh's pep. I don't have a link sorry, but you should be able to find it if you google for Kommissar's NCR Ranger build, or Hugh's NCR Ranger Mask and you should be able to come across it.

as stated by coroidan I think it is hughs file which is REALLY easy to find online if you look for ncr ranger gas mask PDO or look through the forums here as there are many many links to it..
Coroidan I will be doing a full costume but its not the NCR on the front.,. A few of my mates are doing a fallout based Roleplay with Airsoft guns and the like so I will be using this mask and making a wasteland cowboy outfit, the ondo outer shell should hold as I put more resin in than the 1:1 ration some people suggest but will be taking a mould just incase.
My biggest worry will be attaching the lenses as I will be using a paintball lense,, im thinking just drill holes and bolt it in place should do the trick..

Once im done with this I will be starting a pep of the Las pistol and trying to make a working Airsoft laser pistol :)...

I will be making a leather duster though unless I can find the exact one I want for less than £40... I have been finding this pep stuff suprisingly addictive and relaxing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back