Anyone Ever Used Alumilite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPoopAndScoop

Well, I was at hobby lobby with my mom wasting time while our house was being cleaned and I've been looking for some extra on-the-cheap casting resin so I went over to one of the associates and I say to them, "Do you have any polyurethane casting resin?" and they all look around at each other. One of them pipes up and asks me if I want polyresin and I say okay and go along with her. She takes me over to this isle with polyester casting resin and some decrepit box with holes all in it that looks like the right stuff but I really didn't want to buy it and there just wasn't enough stuff in there. So later we are walking down the models isle because, being a Warhammer 40k player, I was looking for some on-the-cheap stuff for that when I come upon... ALUMILITE! Silicone Mold Making Rubber & Urethane Casting Resins Made Easy! And I'm all like OmGoMgOmG! I R SO CooL, ThiZ iZ It! So, my mom disapeared while I was having my Epiphany of Awesomeness so I didn't have any time to check out what the price was but it looked like a good product so I was wondering if you guys would suggest going forth and actually buying this product.

http://www.alumilite.com/

Thanks in advance.

Well, I know rube used one some from left overs on his ODST. You should talk to him about it. Well your lucky you have a store that carries that sort of stuff. Only craft store is around here is Michaels and the material for casting/molding are lower grade like latex and crystal resin,(I'm not sure what it's called xD) looks like a regular can of resin except it's for casting.

Interesting, seems the web site carries and sells many casting products
that already are sold through other sites. No change in prices...that I can tell...

However, you didn't name the stuff you found by the exact name. (At least I don't think you did.)
I'm going down to my Hobby Lobby store and over to a craft place later on today then to scope it out.

Great find, and idea.

Roodkill said:
However, you didn't name the stuff you found by the exact name. (At least I don't think you did.)
I'm going down to my Hobby Lobby store and over to a craft place later on today then to scope it out.

I found one found one of those little sections full of Alumilite products, nothing in particular. I think there was the super trial set that had everything you needed to cast and mold a small object and then a casting resin set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used it for my handplates and 405 emblem the silicone moulding material is slower setting than rebound but seems to give the same level of detail. The casting resin "super plastic" or whatever its called is easy to mix 1 to 1 sets in the same time or faster than smoothcast 300 and seems to be almost as durable. I paid $28 for a 2lb pack of silicone and $28 for a 2 lb kit of casting resin.

P1120150.jpg

P1120156.jpg

P1090146.jpg

I cast 5 sets of handplates and 4 medals from one kit.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back