Are we official?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a suggestion. How about a Spartan Santa. Ya know, stand outside with the Blue Santa at walmart and help try to bring in money to that charity. Its something that everyone with a costume can do in their general area. Thoughts ?

I like it but I really wouldn't have the kind of time for that though.

I think some of the awareness walks (Heart Disease, Breast Cancer) for charity would be fun to do.

We could get together and go to a paintball field and the money we raise would go toward American Red Cross, or another group and we would all have halo armor on and proclaim the 405th was responsible for the fundraising. Just a live version of the online breast cancer tournament I heard about.

Shadow Dragon

This whole paintballing idea needs to get shelved. While it would be a good time, I'm sure, not everybody is working on easily replaceable cardboard and quickly fiberglassed pep armor. The top guys, who run the site and would be taken the most seriously as spokespeople for the 405th and therefore fundraising, are not going to ruin suits worth thousands of dollars just to play some paintball.
If nice armor was cheap enough for us not to worry about ruining it, we'd all have some already. And a bunch of people running around in cheap armor attempting to be taken seriously would not reflect well upon us either.

Expensive stuff + running/ shooting projectiles = bad idea.

People need to think small to start. We are not all going to start travelling the country to shoot at each others' fancy armor.

Sigma's idea ftw. Walks raise a ton of money and awareness, there's tons of people already there, and some bigger ones get media coverage. They are established charities that would not require us to try to set something up ourselves, and anyone can join them.

True. I do like walk idea,but it'll take more than once person and my armor is hold atm due to school. Though, i might get some done this week,cus I'm on break :)

Ragnarok118 said:
What if we got to gether and did some sortt of fundraiser?

Yeah, the Master chiefs fund for childrens hospitals! I dunno, thats not really proving anything for bungie only that we can raise money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but...

How does making charity collections improve our chances of being accepted by Bungie as a recognised costuming group? c_c; It's not like they're going to sue us or anything.

Question:

Why the HELL is only the American continent being considered for this?

Or is the UK a little backwater country of no significance or importance all of a sudden?

Now, I'd LOVE to turn up to a convention in my Scout set, but the problem is that most conventions are rather selfishly only held in the US. The only UK cons I know of are some very niche things, or furcons. And I don't think that furries would see the joy in a 5'7" SPARTAN unless it had ears and a tail, and boinked around going 'yiff'. Not that I'm complaining, either...

Just consider further outside your own little neighborhood. And to the paintballing:

NO.

If I'm going to be spending upwards of £300 on a suit, you'd better hope that thing isn't going to get a damned scratch on it.

Primal Weyland said:
Question:

Why the HELL is only the American continent being considered for this?

Or is the UK a little backwater country of no significance or importance all of a sudden?

Now, I'd LOVE to turn up to a convention in my Scout set, but the problem is that most conventions are rather selfishly only held in the US. The only UK cons I know of are some very niche things, or furcons. And I don't think that furries would see the joy in a 5'7" SPARTAN unless it had ears and a tail, and boinked around going 'yiff'. Not that I'm complaining, either...

Just consider further outside your own little neighborhood. And to the paintballing:

NO.

If I'm going to be spending upwards of £300 on a suit, you'd better hope that thing isn't going to get a damned scratch on it.

So Collectormania, London Film and Comic Con, Memorabilia and all of those ilk are considered niche? the UK Colonial Marines go to all of those, and more in the UK. :\

Peter Cooper said:
So Collectormania, London Film and Comic Con, Memorabilia and all of those ilk are considered niche? the UK Colonial Marines go to all of those, and more in the UK. :\

I've never heard of them. And dagnabbit, I've been looking for stuff to go to.

Best I've got is the London furmeet we just had.

Sean Bradley said:
huh...sigh*

Heres my thoughts on all this.
I think that we should make efforts do become 'official' although I still can't describe why that is important to anyone that asks... every time I try I think I sound like a cheating schoolkid...

Under current rules, it's completely unclear who's in charge of what... that wasn't disclosed in the Bungie/MS split... why would our proposition change their decision?

I've heard from some very smart business people that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. Being said, if we go forth, and do good, we are more likely to recieve forgiveness, than if we do nothing and ask permission. Why would they be motivated to give a seal of approval to a fan group tha hasn't yet proven themselves as a formidable benefit to their company? We shouldn't contact them until we can tell them all the good things that we've done in the name of their fandom... in short, we should be spreading the good word, and making measurable contributions to charities and gamer organizations...

In the meantime all I can tell them is that this website has taught more people how to emulate their intellectual property... we have to organize ourselves to be a positive influence on the gaming audience before we have ANY reason to apply for approval.

Thats the cchallenge folks... what are you ready to do for your 405th?

I hate to sound all 501st in here, but one thing I DO think bungie/microsoft (whomever owns it now) WILL have an issue with is accuracy of the costumes, and professional behavior whilst in costume. I dont mean to a rediculous level, but Im sure their going to want a level of game accuracy, and proper behavior If we are going to portray their product and franchise.

Sean Bradley said:
I'd recomend that we do some events, and raise some money for charity. Claude and Louis over at Halo.Bungie.Org would likely support us with some coverage..

Any suggestions for a charity to focus on?

I think given the majority of our audience is both kids, and people into their 20's/30's we should target childrens charities, childrens hospitals, and possibly scholarship programs. Heck we could even participate with the marines with thier toys for tots drives. They could advertise it on the radio, and people would come out in droves to get a picture taken with the masterchief, and all the proceeds go to a good cause.

Just an idea

Darth-Malevelus said:
I hate to sound all 501st in here, but one thing I DO think bungie/microsoft (whomever owns it now) WILL have an issue with is accuracy of the costumes, and professional behavior whilst in costume. I dont mean to a rediculous level, but Im sure their going to want a level of game accuracy, and proper behavior If we are going to portray their product and franchise.

(y)

I think for the 405th to flourish, we will need a larger fan base. I know, I know.....the most popular game in history, blah blah blah....

Here's the reality. The 501st operated "under the radar" for many years. They decided to go ahead and take the risk upon themselves to grow. Lucasfilm was not immediately fond of the idea of geeks running around with weapons dressed as characters from their movies. Only recently has Lucasfilm recognized and started to use the 501st as a largely available marketing tool. The difference is that the 501st has a hierarchy in place. Lucasfilm can contact one person or a couple in a region to organize events. The 501st at this time is proven but I guarantee that if a 501st member robs a bank in costume, there may be some issues and uncertainty.

My opinion is that once the 405th has grown to a sizeable entity, we are organized, we perform public services (ie. charities) and have a larger array of characters (not just 3000 Master Chiefs), then MS/Bungie may consider not squashing us. We have to prove to be useful and beneficial to have around....LOL. It's kind of like having a job.

I hope we get there someday.

SpArtan-270 said:
Yeah, the Master chiefs fund for childrens hospitals! I dunno, thats not really proving anything for bungie only that we can raise money.
501st does it all the time, it isnt that big of a deal to lucas films.

All we need is a larger fan base and larger armor community, set up some event, make it be seen by newspapers and the internet.

If we had a bunch of Marines and a Master Chief it would make more sense. Cortana could just come over to my house.... :D

I think it's a miracle that we haven't been served a 'cease and desist' order yet.

I'd like to see a WHOLE lot more activity on this subject before I consider making our appeal to Bungie. I have a BIG project in mind for myself, but I'd like to see some other people working towards this goal also before I commit to it.

If we aren't our doing good deeds in the name of Halo we just look like greedy fans to them.... wanting armor for ourselves, not the betterment of the cause.

SPARTANS! .... what would you do for your 405th?

As a great president once said..

Ask not, what the 405th can do for you, but what you, can do for the 405th...

well, something like that...

Anyhow. The charity idea is great, though it would have to be organized.

Sean, what do you recommend we start with? Do you think we should start by making our own armor? making tutorials? trying to contribute to the 3D design? Or on a larger scale, like getting together with other members?

I'd love to get recognized.

Sean Bradley said:
I think it's a miracle that we haven't been served a 'cease and desist' order yet.

I'd like to see a WHOLE lot more activity on this subject before I consider making our appeal to Bungie. I have a BIG project in mind for myself, but I'd like to see some other people working towards this goal also before I commit to it.

If we aren't our doing good deeds in the name of Halo we just look like greedy fans to them.... wanting armor for ourselves, not the betterment of the cause.
SPARTANS! .... what would you do for your 405th?
I wouldn't say it's a miracle. C&D's usually only have legal backing if there is significant evidence that there is financial damage being done. Another aspect is that we're a few hundred fans sharing info on creating our own stuff - not openly selling mass produced items. It would be a PR nightmare if Bungie decided to target a bunch of 16 year old cardboard armor makers. Something else is that Bungie isn't currently producing any armor, or commissioning any to be produced. If at anytime they do decide to, they could then start legal processes to shut down anyone they feel is damaging their reputation.
So for the meantime, I think we're good. As long as no one gets a group of Spartans together to go rob a bank or hijack a school bus...
I think as we develop the 405th, we should always keep an eye out for worthy causes to suit up for. The main thing to remember is that Bungie isn't going to want to use Spartans to advertise Jim Bob's used car lot, but they would for a blood drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back