Are we official?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good way to look at how something like this works is to the 501st and it's founder. One it's not easy and two, when an organization gets to a point that it is recognized like the 501st is, Rules and stipulations have to be put in place. There is a charter that was written, that needs to be followed and costume requirements are VERY STRICT!!!!! I applaud the creativity that happens on this forum. Making armor and other props is not easy. But as a 501st member and being very anal retentive about what my gear looks like I can tell you now that PEP stuff would NOT be allowed. Sometimes the strict requirements upset people but that is the nature of the beast. On average a basic set up of say Stormtrooper armor (FX) type and not screen accurate mind you in kit form costs between $450 to $700. Sometimes cheaper and sometimes higher. Just depends. At a minimum, you will spend over a $1,000 to finish a suit. This includes the armor and everything to assemble it. Even when finished, your armor has to be approved. If it is not up to snuff, you have to keep tweaking it until it passes. I hate to say it but armor making and building is not cheap. It's very difficult to do and if you don't have some type of disposable income, you are going to be out of luck. Also, there is an age stipulation. The 501st is 18yrs and up. It's not set up that way to be mean, but as a CYA type of deal. The charity idea is a great start. We do tons of that and any appearances that my garrison has made, we ask that a donation be made to charaties that we help out with. Another part of it is not all appearances are approved. They have to fit a certain criteria. If LFL says they don't approve of say a certain parade, then you better not participate in it. LFL has gone after people that make unlicensed props so that is one "BIG BROTHER" you don't want mad at you. Just a little FYI. IF they say jump, then you say How High???? Doing this is what allows us to walk around as giant action figures. Please understand I am not saying you have to be just like the 501st!!!!!! There are things I don't like but that's how all big organizations go. The big drawback that occurs in something like this is some people let egos get in the way......That's no fun either.

Bungie won't take official notice of this group until it starts looking like a real fan group and not a semi orginized bunch of kids with along with a few adults. To be recognized as an Official fan group this group must have something more than just some forum rules and a bunch of FAQ's, every forum has those. This group has to have something resembling a charter and some officers at the least, a mission statement would help too.

Dark One has highlighted the issue I find to be the most troublesome. The quality of armors here in the 405th are all across the board (no offense to anyone). Some are awesome, and others....not so much. It'll be a big blow to some of our members if we ever became "official". Guys with armor who are currently part of the group will feel shunned when they're told they can't participate in parades and such, because they didn't "meet the standard".

He also has a good point with Bungie giving us the okay on things. If they wanted to change the rules on us, they could. It'd be annoying to have to worry about staying inside the lines on stuff. If I wanted to add a piece to my costume, or change something here or there.....I'd have to step back and make sure I was still within the rules. It's tons more fun to just make a costume and then be done (play time).

Blood drives, community service, volunteer work..... nice ideas, but shouldn't we focus on our main problems first? We don't have enough armored/costumed people to make a gathering worth it, and we don't have quality standards set either.

I think the big question is, what do we expect of being an "official" Halo costuming group? What does official even mean? Official recognition for our work on behalf of and in support of the fandom is one thing, but another entirely is being taken on for Microsoft functions and events (while LucasFilms and Microsoft are both billion-dollar companies, Microsoft is somewhat beyond LucasFilms' league)...

I think if we can get official SANCTION to carry out our efforts, that is all we really need and all we could really want - no?

Peter Cooper said:
I think the big question is, what do we expect of being an "official" Halo costuming group? What does official even mean? Official recognition for our work on behalf of and in support of the fandom is one thing, but another entirely is being taken on for Microsoft functions and events (while LucasFilms and Microsoft are both billion-dollar companies, Microsoft is somewhat beyond LucasFilms' league)...

I think if we can get official SANCTION to carry out our efforts, that is all we really need and all we could really want - no?
In my opinion, we won't really gain much by being "official", except for maybe some special mention every now and then during game launches and other official gatherings. Even then, I was offered a Legendary Halo 3 pack to show up for the Halo 3 lauch....something Bungie might disallow me from doing if I was carrying their name on my shoulders.

Everyone here would prob like to be recognized. Heck, so would I. Think about it though..... Adam's been recognized, and so has Sean. BR is a legend here now, and MLC was *just* displayed on HBO for his stuff. If they can do it, so can the rest of us. What more types of recognition are needed? All that's required is that you make some good stuff, and present yourself well with pictures or processes. You don't need the go ahead from Bungie.

Who here loves paperwork? Complex rules and guidelines? Limitations, specifications, deadlines, or registrations? I don't....or at least not in comparison to the freedoms and lax atmosphere we have now. I agree with Cooper; sanctioning with the freedoms to carry on with our work would be the perfect gift. Anything more would just turn into a headache (for us *and* Bungie)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Bradley said:
I think it's a miracle that we haven't been served a 'cease and desist' order yet.

I'd like to see a WHOLE lot more activity on this subject before I consider making our appeal to Bungie. I have a BIG project in mind for myself, but I'd like to see some other people working towards this goal also before I commit to it.

If we aren't our doing good deeds in the name of Halo we just look like greedy fans to them.... wanting armor for ourselves, not the betterment of the cause.
SPARTANS! .... what would you do for your 405th?

One thing I do know from portraying vader for the 501st. Explicit permission must be had, before any public advertising can be used, using any of the following things, Halo, Master chief, Spartan, ect. Anything that they came up with, is technically their property.
Even as vader with the 501st, Im not allowed via lucasfilms LTD. to sign anything as vader, sith, darth vader, anakin, ect.

I think perhaps if we want to start doing things publicly, we might want to ask permission in some small way to use those names if we want to advertise for an event (with the explicit nature of doing it for charity, and not for personal gain of any kind). Otherwise, you basically just show up, and have fun posing for 1000 photo's an hour. :D

I wouldnt be surprised if there are members of microsoft, and or bungie, or both in the forum right now. Reading everything we say.
Ive talked with members of ILM for days and didnt even know it through various 501st sites.

It would be good to find out what bungie /microsoft thinks of us, and us doing this publicly in their name, just because lucasfilms gave the ok, doesnt mean that bungie or MS will.

On a side note, if they like what were doing, they might even help us in coming up with events, higher res pictures, and possibly even what they expect from us, as a professional costuming club.

Darth-Malevelus said:
One thing I do know from portraying vader for the 501st. Explicit permission must be had, before any public advertising can be used, using any of the following things, Halo, Master chief, Spartan, ect. Anything that they came up with, is technically their property.
Even as vader with the 501st, Im not allowed via lucasfilms LTD. to sign anything as vader, sith, darth vader, anakin, ect.

I think perhaps if we want to start doing things publicly, we might want to ask permission in some small way to use those names if we want to advertise for an event (with the explicit nature of doing it for charity, and not for personal gain of any kind). Otherwise, you basically just show up, and have fun posing for 1000 photo's an hour. :D

I wouldnt be surprised if there are members of microsoft, and or bungie, or both in the forum right now. Reading everything we say.
Ive talked with members of ILM for days and didnt even know it through various 501st sites.

It would be good to find out what bungie /microsoft thinks of us, and us doing this publicly in their name, just because lucasfilms gave the ok, doesnt mean that bungie or MS will.

On a side note, if they like what were doing, they might even help us in coming up with events, higher res pictures, and possibly even what they expect from us, as a professional costuming club.
I love it when someone says something better than I can. Awesome (y)

We need to start off small, maybe try to get support from other more "well known" fan sites. If we can gain support for them maybe Bungie/Microsoft would take us more seriously when we do go to become official.

Ah, the charity. Every time I think of something that could make the 405th more creditable, I get discouraged because I know that my ideas can not be done alone. For all the people that are trying to do things by yourself or in very small numbers (2-3), its just not going to work out. No matter how many little things we each do, unless its organized and approved by the mods and Adam it means next to nothing in the eyes of Bungie/Microsoft. For the charity we need to pick one final project for EVERYONE to work on, not just specific individuals. If we can create a plan that everyone can do there part and participate in, we might just have a chance at showing Bungie and Microsoft that we are not just a bunch of halo fans making mediocre armor.

Now i know that there will be some of you that will say things like "But i don't live near anyone else." or "I want to go paint balling!!" or some other ridiculous thing like that. To the people that don't live near any other members, try to find a way to help out from were you are instead of just complaining. AND the people you keep insisting that we all get together and go paint balling. It's not going to happen, I have spent way too much time and money to and risk ruining my suit like that. I have a pep suit, and i think that the people that have spent thousands of dollars on there armor would be hesitant to even where it out side let alone to go paint balling.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the things I've said, but its time we face the facts. PLEASE tell us your ideas so we can come up with a realistic plan and hopefully one day we will become official. I guess it all leads back to what Sean said:

"SPARTANS! .... what would you do for your 405th?"

We do all need to pick an event. I know we cannot use bungie/MS IP without permission,but why don't we design our own symbol/crest/emblem that we can put on Tshirts etc, for now? Then we could get people who don't have their armor done in a sort of 405th promoting uniform to go with outr spartans and others who have armor for said event? Just an idea, I'm sure you've all taken a peek at my recruit costume thread. It would get us noticed if we had a squad of recruits with a spartan. I don't know, once again I'm throwing my idea out there to be warped to our needs or thrwon away, whichever you choose.

Here is a link for the emblem. The costume thing sounds like a good idea but it would be very difficult to have a "uniform" for people without armor. It would be almost impossible for everyone to have the same thing, and i know no matter how many people agree with an outfit someone will want to change it. The events would have to be organized by Adam so it would be official and not just seem like a bunch of people scattered across different countries doing things to promote a site without even having permission to do it from the owner.

One note too,...
In the 501st there can only be one face character at a time on the floor say at a con, or in public in the same place, at the same time.

So I wonder would bungie have an issue with 2 or 3 spartans AKA masterchief, walking around the same place at the same time?

Since he is the face character of that game?

The standard infantry might be recognized by an uber fan if it were done very well. But mightbe confused with ,... say a starship troopers costume. Un less of course he washanging witht he cheif. LOL

I agree we need to worry about getting completed costumes, and of decent quality, game accurateness, not rediculous, just obviously not home made quality.

AND we need to get adam's input here, on what He want to do, and where he'd like to go with this.

Theres alot to do before we can worry ourselves with being an actuall costuming group,

First of all we need good high quality , er professional grade costumes, to be taken seriously.

So let start with the baby steps first. One foot in frontof the other, one step at a time.

Darth, with all those 100%s in your sig why dont you just say what isnt done? Your sig is crazy long.

Although Master Chief is the "face" of Halo I think it would be alright as long as each Spartan was named something else. Each Spartan has unique armor, however inevitably at least two will look alike. I doubt we can all look different unless we are all good with 3D modeling/pep/sculpting/whatever.

As for high grade costumes I believe that pep costumes could be allowed under certain conditions such as having to have X layers of resin/fiberglass for stability and so it does not look like paper but actually looks like armor. When reading through the last four pages I got the idea of having our first "convention" as more of a gathering and showing armor, ideas, and such to help those without armor get started or those with armor to make it better. However we still want to wait till we have enough people with armor to start this.

-------------------------------------

For those that cast their armor from molds, do you still have them? If so you may want to consider making armor (for a cost equal to materials used+time yadda yadda) for those that either do not have time or are just bad at making molds (like me) or all around "armor crafting".

We do NEED a convention. Im up for a crazy fun convention arond 2010. Our own comic con. maybe aaaaaaaaaaa Spartan-Con????

I could talk to people at Halo.fr

It's the biggest (french) Halo community.

Maybe a few more members could help ^^

And they are known by bungie.
Just check the Halo 3 credits.

Im sorry, talk is great and all and things need to be well thought out. Even so, i believe action is needed to be taken to make progress. To people actually think and work on this topic unless there on the forums? we need actual planing and such on paper with progress, making connections, getting the job done. I think if we can get this thing on its feet and running Bungie might recognize us. thanks.

I think we should make flyers.

If you walk in a Gamespot, wearing your suit, and giving flyers, I'm sure people will read the flyers and keep them

I agree whole-heartedly with the t-shirt idea. T-shirts are not very expensive. There are several sites where you can upload your design and have people buy it for like 10 bucks. Also I think that a yearly get together would be pretty sweet. Another way we can raise money for charities is to run/walk a marathon or a half marthon in armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back