Armor Strapping 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get any help from the Noob Forum regarding this, so I was hoping I could get some help here. What strapping component allows you to freely adjust the length of a strap on the fly- is this the slider or do the side release buckles let you adjust the length? I'm creating a suit that needs a lot of adjustment, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks.

I couldn't get any help from the Noob Forum regarding this, so I was hoping I could get some help here. What strapping component allows you to freely adjust the length of a strap on the fly- is this the slider or do the side release buckles let you adjust the length? I'm creating a suit that needs a lot of adjustment, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks.

You can get either single adjust or double adjust side release buckles. I personally used single adjust to keep it simple. I tried on sections of the suit several times as it was being strapped and adjusted the buckle as needed. But when I was satisfied with the fit, I glued/secured the adjustable side so it wouldn't move on it's own when wearing the suit. You shouldn't really need lots of adjustment more than once.

You can get either single adjust or double adjust side release buckles. I personally used single adjust to keep it simple. I tried on sections of the suit several times as it was being strapped and adjusted the buckle as needed. But when I was satisfied with the fit, I glued/secured the adjustable side so it wouldn't move on it's own when wearing the suit. You shouldn't really need lots of adjustment more than once.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the side release buckles would permit adjustment, but I guess the "adjust" in the name kinda gives that away. I'll plan on gluing it once the adjustment is done.

It's actually a better idea to sew some velcro onto the strapping to lock it rather than gluing it down. That will ensure that you can adjust later if you need to. Also, if a buckle breaks, you can replace it quite easily and quickly.

It's actually a better idea to sew some velcro onto the strapping to lock it rather than gluing it down. That will ensure that you can adjust later if you need to. Also, if a buckle breaks, you can replace it quite easily and quickly.
Now thats an idea! I'll probably go with glue for the areas that will have to stay the same, but for the rest velcro probably would be better, and I'm sure more convenient. Thanks!

Great points and duly noted. Every little bit helps! Thanks for taking time to share.

yep new to forum and i made a custom armor (working from my own imagination) that is halo in nature with a more skeletal look
photo.php
. having a bit of trouble with the strapping. i have velco on the there now but it doesnt want to stay attached to the foam. any suggestions? maybe riveting them to the foam with the chicago screws?

1.) This thread is pure gold, GOLD I say!

2.) No more rivet tooling for me

3.) The "chicago Screw" that he refers to are also know as "post screws" or "screw with post" if your trying to find them at a local hardware store and aren't having any luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
please update the links...preferably not Ebay ones as they become "broken" after 3 months it will be faster and more helpful to us new guys

please update the links...preferably not Ebay ones as they become "broken" after 3 months it will be faster and more helpful to us new guys

Use the Ebay Store link. That one is still active. Just search for what he has listed. That's how I found and ordered everything I needed.

This is an awesome walk through, thank you! I was used to doing it a particular way with SW costumes like my Republic Commando, so cool to see some similar ways, but some new takes as well! Much appreciated!

Is it just me or is the formatting kind of weird and weren't there supposed to be photos that didn't load for me? o.o
It seems like there was supposed to be a ton of photos... ;_;

you do realize that this thread is about 3 years old.....the photos may have been pulled

you do realize that this thread is about 3 years old.....the photos may have been pulled

Yes, I realize, but they have been uploaded to the 405th, not some external sources... and it's the kinda official tutorial on strapping, that's why I've been wondering.

This is a pretty old thread and unfortunately the person who created it hasn't been online in a number of years - it's more likely than not that the image links are going to be dead permanently and that a new tutorial will have to be made from scratch.

I'll see what I can do regarding getting something sorted - in the meantime, some Google-fu might be more helpful.

This is a pretty old thread and unfortunately the person who created it hasn't been online in a number of years - it's more likely than not that the image links are going to be dead permanently and that a new tutorial will have to be made from scratch.

I'll see what I can do regarding getting something sorted - in the meantime, some Google-fu might be more helpful.

I personally don't mind, new recruit wrote here so here I also was curious to read.
However, making a new tutorial sounds nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back