Awesome Weathering Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey disregard the fact ima noob...ive been a model painter and hobbyist? forever. Heres a really cool technique for creating a damage/wear effect on armor. I used to use it on my plane models. The idea is to glue salt, gravel, ect to the armor, paint over, then rub off.

Salt Methods:
1. Paint worn armor areas a base color of gunmetal or silver. This color will show through.
2. Then lightly wet the area u want to wear. (u can wet it or use watered down elmers glue).
3. Sprinkle salt where you want the chipping/wear. Experiment with different salts, such as sea salt, popcorn salt, or even gravel. Use blends to get a realistic look.
4. Paint armor as normal, taking care to not rub off the salt yet.
5. Rub off. Try using a brush or finger to get different effects. Also experiment with scrubbing the salt/gravel/cereal into the armor.
6. Wipe off residue.

Viola! Chipped looking armor! I emphasize experimenting with different things. Even cereal, cat litter, body parts (jk..maby) ect.

I found an awesome tut on it being done on a small model. The idea is to scale it up so it looks real. Thats y u gt experiment.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.swannysmodels.com/images/B26B/salting.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.swannysmodels.com/Salting.html&h=517&w=700&sz=120&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=j4ma2QSRLJg-WM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsalt%2Bweathering%2Btechnique%2Bfor%2Bmodels%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
dacoba_ta152_07.jpg

i use something similar on my mandalorian costumes....smear a THIN stip of petroleum jelly onto the base coated (metalic base coat) then spry your armour's actual colour coats over it till you have the desired paint...then when dry run a wet cloth over it, it pulls the pain on top of the jelly off as well as the jelly...forcing the paint to crackle and come off around it...it looks very good....especially with more than one coat of paint over it...it gives it a flacking effect!

spartan114 said:
i use something similar on my mandalorian costumes....smear a THIN stip of petroleum jelly onto the base coated (metalic base coat) then spry your armour's actual colour coats over it till you have the desired paint...then when dry run a wet cloth over it, it pulls the pain on top of the jelly off as well as the jelly...forcing the paint to crackle and come off around it...it looks very good....especially with more than one coat of paint over it...it gives it a flacking effect!

Nice! I'll have to try that on my CQB helmet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha that'd b great: Master Chief: The man in the Minty fresh green suit. Not only does he look good...but he tastes good. that is if you can get close enough to lick him. :lol:

Master Chef said:
Haha that'd b great: Master Chief: The man in the Minty fresh green suit. Not only does he look good...but he tastes good. that is if you can get close enough to lick him. :lol:

yeah a few people i know use tooth paste to the same effect...it looks vey cool...you just have to place the jel in small amounts in place likely to get damaged

Here's a thread on a Star Wars board where a fella shares his finished product and the steps he took to weather and paint around toothpaste :) View Thread.

I tried to find some shots of the actual process but didn't see anything specific, I think it's just a matter of artistic taste...mmm cool mint.

Hope that helps :)

-Vex

Hey Thank you all for posting this thread and all these links. This is going to be very helpful I had no idea how to shoot the paint and make the wear marks.

FYI, Military Vehicles use a subdued primer over the base metal. The Army and Marines seem to stick to a flat green and or black while the navy uses a flat gray, not sure about the air force. I would imagine the Military of the future would do the same.

When I get to the painting stage I am thinking about using a Silver paint over the bare armor. Then using the techniques listed here toothpaste, petroleum jelly ect. Then over that my flat green as a primer then my main paint job. Would give the effect of bare metal and the primer showing. Add to that final touches like some sand, maybe a lil brown paint here and there for dirt.

Thanks to all for expanding this thread. Its turning into a great resource. Thanks to Spartan 161 for those base layer references. Just remember y'all, if you use a very shiny base coat, the scratches will look new, unless you do an oil wash over them and seal it. Not that many people know what that means...I'm thinking I might make a tut on different weathering techniques and how they look. That is if I get time...teachers. Grrrrr. Keep it goin!

Master Chef said:
I'm thinking I might make a tut on different weathering techniques and how they look. That is if I get time...teachers. Grrrrr. Keep it goin!

Woo hoo I'd love to see that on the boards :)

-Vex

Master Chef said:
I'm thinking I might make a tut on different weathering techniques and how they look. That is if I get time...teachers. Grrrrr. Keep it goin!

That would be a great tutorial, would be nice for those of us with limited paint skills. I look forward to seeing it.

I'm going to try this on the gaunlets when I get them resined and glassed, gauntlets are small and are almost uneeded if you buy fancy paintball gloves for 10 dollars, but if i can make leet looking hands, I will move onto the helmet and torso.

AoBfrost said:
I'm going to try this on the gaunlets when I get them resined and glassed, gauntlets are small and are almost uneeded if you buy fancy paintball gloves for 10 dollars, but if i can make leet looking hands, I will move onto the helmet and torso.

When you get them done please post some pics, would love to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back