Back In Black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUMP FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!!!

Today i purchased all my bondo/fiberglass junk, along with primer and safety equipment, all at my local Pep Boys, for about 90 bucks.

i went on a shopping spree and almost ran out of cash :D

anyway, i should be starting sunday, since tomorrow holds no promise for me, and sunday i am free up. I need your opinion-

What should i try first?

Start on something you don't mind messing up, unless this isn't your first time glassing, like the hand plates.
I can't believe you got all that fiberglass and stuff for 90 bucks. How much of everything did you get?
PS:Tommorow does look pretty crappy for our area, stupid late April showers.

oh snap i just noticed you live a few minutes away from me :D

my list was:
-2X 80 grit sandpaper
-1 can Bondo body filler
-2 cans fiberglass resin
-2 mats fiberglass mat
-2 cans black primer
-1X 3-brush set
-50 pack masks (painting)

i may have to get a job, those dust masks aint gonna cut it for outdoor body work...

oh the pep boys in brookhaven....cheap stuff :D

when im done, i'll make a video, i promise :rolleyes

rvb4life said:
oh the pep boys in brookhaven....cheap stuff :D

Really? I'll have to check it out I am almost out of bondo body filler. Can't wait to see the progress on all of your pepakura work.

Last edited by a moderator:
yay another tri-state area member!
i thought me, sean and magnum were the only ones from PA.

yeah, my pep boys sold huge bondo containers (gallon maybe?) and it didnt have a price tag, but i guess it was at least 50 bucks. Funny thing is, i got the last of the fiberglass mat and sandpaper.

yeah i know, but gas prices are too much, and i cant go out to sherman-williams to get one, its too far.

plus, the masks will help when priming and sanding, its all gonna be outside.

And, will leather gloves work instead of latex? i have a few pairs of leather, and not too many latex gloves left. There all in the first aid kit.

I checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and next week, and im an OK for launch, capt'n!

ima countin down teh hours :D

Just buy a box of latex gloves... You'll end up ruining the leather... and they will be super hard to work with... Trust me you want latex...

Also you won't really be able to reuse gloves when fiberglassing... That's why you need a box so you can have new ones when ur done...

okay thanks for the advice guys, my mom could snag a box of gloves from work...
i guess im attacking this all wrong, huh? Oh well, nobody is good their first time around ;)

im still gonna try it tomorrow, maybe just a handplate, something i can ruin. Should i do a base coat of resin, then another coat with the mat? or just do it the Crackhead way and go for it all at once?

rvb4life said:
okay thanks for the advice guys, my mom could snag a box of gloves from work...
i guess im attacking this all wrong, huh? Oh well, nobody is good their first time around ;)
im still gonna try it tomorrow, maybe just a handplate, something i can ruin. Should i do a base coat of resin, then another coat with the mat? or just do it the Crackhead way and go for it all at once?
Put a coat or two of resin on the outside. Some people use the mat on the outside but it takes away from the detail, so I always just put it on the inside.

thanks GG55.

Alright, i started my CQB helmet today, and im actually just waiting for the part i glassed to semi-harden, and finish it.

[story time!] So about 3 hours ago, i started to open up my resin can. I was suprised it didnt smell too bad. I think i smelt that before, its not too pungent (ooh big words :D) and i think my painters masks were okay, considering it was breezy out today. I did cut the mat into strips, and i think there was very little warping since i started with the Crackhead method at first (dunking it in) but that proved to be ineffective compared to a light coat on the inside for tackiness.

Im very suprised at how easy this stuff is to work with. My dad used to take industrial arts, and he gave me some pointers about resin. And, since i got everything sticky, he sprayed me with laquer thinner (works BEAUTIFULLY BTW) and i should be done and ready for bondo tomorrow. [/end story]

I got the hang of this thing, and im probably gonna add an outside coat of resin when im done the inside. But, just so im sure im not wasting it, do i really need the extra coat, or is that for insurance? Also, i cant take pictures of it right now, since im gonna stick my camera up if i do.

i guess its just me, but the resin scent dosent bother me as much as others. Guess its all that time outside. Smells bad, but strangely, kind of refreshing :eek:

ok, enough with the sickening of the masses, i gotta go check on mah helmet. I dont know what to do next, though. Maybe the chest, but im not sure how much i will need.

and just so you know, i am using nitrile gloves, and they stink worse than the resin. Reminds me of formaldehyde

lol thanks kerotan, i think i earned a good reputation :D

cuz i gots teh skillz 2 pay teh billz [insert beatbox]

Please use the proper kind of respirator. Even if you think that it doesn't affect you, it does. Your profile says that you're 16, you are still growing, these fumes give you cancer, destroy your mucus membrane, and kill your brain cells, the younger you are the more easily it is to get hurt by the stuff.

The paint mask you are wearing does little to nothing to stop the resin fumes from getting in your lungs. I'm guessing that it doesn't fit perfectly tight around your nose and mouth, if there is any air getting in, that isn't going through a respirator you might as well not even wear it, it's not helping you at all. Even if you are outside, being anywhere near these fumes (even if it's windy) has the same effect.

Anyways, yes. I think you should put another layer of resin on the outside, I normally have at least two or three layers on the outside and normally two layers of mat or cloth on the inside. If you're doing the chest, I would put a few more layers of cloth/mat on the inside, just to be safe.

Fiberglass itself has no odor but the resin that it applied over it does.

To those reading this thread, make sure you get a respirator when working with resin on your armor. No one is invincible to its effects. Better safe than sorry.

Ral Partha said:
Fiberglass itself has no odor but the resin that it applied over it does.

To those reading this thread, make sure you get a respirator when working with resin on your armor. No one is invincible to its effects. Better safe than sorry.

yeah, im just poor and stupid, and you can definitley tell the odor resin gives off the first time you smell it. DO NOT APPLY FIBERGLASS WITHOUT ANYTHING!!!

at least i had something of a filtering type to protect myself, its better than nothing, and it did stop some fumes, definitley get a pro respirator when using this gelatinous goo of death.

Anyway, i should apply the mat to the chin area tomorrow, today is too late, its gonna cure overnight hopefully. My shed smells like gasoline, but its over 100 degrees in it, so heat should harden that sucker.

I think im gonna completely finish this thing before i work on anything else. Good news is that its hardly warped, but im gonna coat it with resin on the outside just to be safe. Any takers?

EDIT 4 GREAT JUSTICE: I woke up at 5 this morning, did a light run, came back, and i finished glassing the inside and gave a nice little coat of resin on the outside, so im just waiting for that to dry in the sun, so its all good right now. I think i missed a few spots, but there the edges, so its not that big of a deal. I'll try to get some pics later, and after its primed. Tomorrow is bondo- time, but apparently there are gonna be some storms tonight, so it may be too wet tomorrow.

I think im rushing this, and my dad agrees. He said to slow the f%#$ down, take your time, and not rush it :p

also, my color scheme. I dont know what to do yet, and i really want something different. I will be pinstriping my name into the side though, maybe even with the bondo. Just in case i decide to sell it, nobody can recast it.

Finally, on one last note, i dont know what im gonna do for the visor. Do i just cut an HJC visor to CQB size, or get plexiglass? WETOKOLE CAN YOU HELP A BROTHER OUT? What did you do for your Helmet (yeah im kinda usin your helmet as a goal for mine :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back