basic foam tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBmike

Hi everyone, this is a video I made in response to some questions i've been asked on how to work with foam. its aimed at the newer members who have little or no experience and as such its pretty simple and easy to follow.
Hope it answers some of the questions people have had, feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks

UPDATE

PART 1&2 NOW UP ON YOUTUBE

Direct link to video here:

PART 1

http://youtu.be/VpYCoCJ7Mn8 PART 2

[video]http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/vwmike88/?action=view&current=405thtut2iPodiPhone.mp4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lick it lol! I probably will include that method in my vids as have a cup of water and dip your finger in it. I do like the push your fingers together to get a rough idea on angles technique, never thought of that. Nice tutorial bro that should help some people out with their foam builds that are new to the craft.

I should have put a disclaimer on it "glue licking won't get you high but you may well burn your tounge!"

Thanks alot for the video, love the details that you have put in it specially the angle edge's and the glue licking lol. Let me try again then, thank's alot friend!

I spy Aragorn's Ring!!! 8DD

*cough* I mean, very nice tutorial. Definitely covers the basics. :D This should be stickied...

Nice video :)

Tip: wear gloves for the heat gun stuff. Maybe also for the hot glue stuff :) They're cheap and safe.

work-gloves-photo-co-blog.pugsgear-com.jpg

I just had another idea. how would paper mache work for hardening it? It would be ALOT lighter and it would give me all the details i want. I love the tutorial video but when it comes to the real nicks and grooves of the pelican (the wings and what not) it will become very irritate to get the perfect cut for stability also

based on the amount of new foam builders and increased volume of questions i will be making a part 2 very soon keep your eyes peeled!

I havn't been on in a long time. There used to be a thread for pep files. Does anyone know if there is a thread for foam templates?

nice vid my friend, This will come in handy for me in the next 3 weeks as i'm making a halo reach foam suit for anime la. Thank you agian. Watch out for my build as im going to credit you for your help XD. Oh and one more thing were did you get that sweet ring XD

Your tutorials, both yours and Dracks are amazing!

I've been avoiding the Halo costuming community with a knife in my heart because I will never go near the pep/fiberglass/rhondo/bondo method again! It created a beautiful set of armour, but one I am glad is finished. I didn't care for the "journey" at all. Now, I can finally start on Halo armour thanks to you guys!

I have one question for you specifically, that I felt the whole community could maybe benefit from. I saw your foam helmets and after looking at models for foam they're obviously "simpler" than pepakura models made for the traditional method. Do you just adjust the models as you go or did you find specific files?

I ask because sometimes having too much information can be as bad as having not enough. My ODST helmet files are pre-foam revolution. Just wondering how you would go about it because you have some of the best foam helmets.

Keep up the awesome work

MSgt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back