Beaky Space Marine Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samuray said:
There's definitely a lot of places that could be made better on the helmet. This was my first time using a 3d program. Had I known what I know now, it would have turned out better probably. Maybe later I can make said improvements. Thanks for all the comments.

If it helps, it's usually preferable to work with quads...at least, for Game Design (I.E. Computer games). I personally would keep to that theory when doing pep...those triangular bits are a pain, from what I've tried. Also, I've noticed, and someone else pointed it out, I think, that the chestplate could be a lot simpler without the aquila. I'd be more than happy to do the modeling to tweak it. I know a little bit of 3D work, from a few classes. For that matter, anybody looking to do more recent versions of the Space Marine armor (I.E. the non-beaky helmets and seperate knee and shin plates) can probably tweak the 3D models if you release them later on. I've recently started doing pep stuff, and it occurred to me that since Bondo and resin are used extensively in this kind of armoring, the 3D model might not need to be as rounded, thus saving a few polygons, and making the final pep even simpler. This would probably require a bit more bondo work, but so long as it's not ridiculously simplified it shouldn't be a big deal. And in the end you can add whatever the heck you want to the chest. But these are only suggestions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Twinblade said:
If it helps, it's usually preferable to work with quads...at least, for Game Design (I.E. Computer games). I personally would keep to that theory when doing pep...those triangular bits are a pain, from what I've tried. Also, I've noticed, and someone else pointed it out, I think, that the chestplate could be a lot simpler without the aquila. I'd be more than happy to do the modeling to tweak it. I know a little bit of 3D work, from a few classes. For that matter, anybody looking to do more recent versions of the Space Marine armor (I.E. the non-beaky helmets and seperate knee and shin plates) can probably tweak the 3D models if you release them later on. I've recently started doing pep stuff, and it occurred to me that since Bondo and resin are used extensively in this kind of armoring, the 3D model might not need to be as rounded, thus saving a few polygons, and making the final pep even simpler. This would probably require a bit more bondo work, but so long as it's not ridiculously simplified it shouldn't be a big deal. And in the end you can add whatever the heck you want to the chest. But these are only suggestions :)

Yeah. I recently removed the aquila on the model, but I just haven't had time to unfold it. I might release it for someone to try their hand at the unfold. Until then, I figured that if people really want to work on the one that is out already and don't want the aquila, they can just skip the aquila parts and leave the hole there. Then, just take a few pieces of card stock and cover up the holes with them.

Anyways, thanks for the tip on using quads instead of triangles. I did start with a very abstract game model for the helmet. It was really different though. I would have been better off starting scratch to get to where it is right now. Oh well. Live and learn.

Samuray said:
Yeah. I recently removed the aquila on the model, but I just haven't had time to unfold it. I might release it for someone to try their hand at the unfold. Until then, I figured that if people really want to work on the one that is out already and don't want the aquila, they can just skip the aquila parts and leave the hole there. Then, just take a few pieces of card stock and cover up the holes with them.

Anyways, thanks for the tip on using quads instead of triangles. I did start with a very abstract game model for the helmet. It was really different though. I would have been better off starting scratch to get to where it is right now. Oh well. Live and learn.

Indeed :) . Did you happen to use the models out of Dawn of War (that being asked, they can really only be opened in 3Ds Max)? I know that most game engines convert quads to triangles because they are easier for the engine to handle, but it's far easier to work with quads in pep design, I think...

*edit* I should probably amend my quad statement... if a quad is too curved (I.E. the opposite corners are higher or lower than the corresponding corners, then a triangle is probably a good bet...this is probably obvious, but just in case someone was confused. :) Also, if anybody is using the models from DoW, you will probably have to use triangles to get it to work right, due to how it was originally modeled and then converted.

kolinrulz said:
awwwwww i thought the helmet looked cool :(

Here's a link to an unfold of that helmet on pepakura designer's gallery.

There's a better unfold of it somewhere on the forums, I think. I'll post a link if I find it.

Edit:

Here's the link to the thread.

Samuray said:
that would be a screenshot of a model that I used as a basis for the shoulders. That link is to my 4shared account.

I'm currently trying to model that paricular kind of helmet, but in the updated form...That one appears to be modelled on one of the very early "non-beaky" helmets...I haven't touched 3Ds Max for over a year, need to work those rusty skills :) . I'll link you when I finish...

*edit* For anybody that wants to know how to pull the DoW Models, I posted the links here.

ok this is the shoulder set up i been working on the bits that look like suction cups are for bb's to be placed in to so that they will work like a bering for the arm

to move on the shoulder and for the shoulder to move when it is on the chest

the shoulder will work just like a fan where it will fold up in to its self and then unfold the large shoulder pads that go on after will be fixed by straps two up top back and front and one on the bottom this will allow it freedom to move as it should and keep every thing working with out snagging on each other

the back pack pic will have 3 circles 2 small and 1 big size is not important its just to help point out whats what the 2 small ones on the back pack will have two pins stuck in just for support and to help keep it in line and prevent it tilting when its fixed to ur back the big 1 is for the fixing screw or bolt that will have the head done to look like the big vent that is in the middle of the pack

the way the pack been set up is so that it can be removed to allow you to enter a car or what ever means your using to get to a show party etc with out harm or damage to our gear

If your lookingfor someone to unfold it i can take a stab at it. My unfold skills are slowly improving :rolleyes

Hey I forgot I had this photo:

I took it at the US Games Workshop Headquarters. It's a life size 1:1 model.

I know, I know, Marines are supposed to be 8 feet tall, and are gods among men, the geneseed and blah blah blah, but that is a myth perpetuated by the Empire to instill fear in those who challenge the God-Emperor... hehehehe Marines are still just Human!

So this statue stands a little over 6'7" tall to the top of the helm and is pretty close to normal width. In fact the interesting part is the under armor for the shoulders. That is where the wearer's arms so the Shoulder pads sit much higher.

I hope this reference helps, it is life size and when I stood next to it one could easily see it fitting a person roughly 6'4" or 6'5" with an athletic build and broad shoulders.

chwbcc said:
Hey I forgot I had this photo:

I took it at the US Games Workshop Headquarters. It's a life size 1:1 model.

I know, I know, Marines are supposed to be 8 feet tall, and are gods among men, the geneseed and blah blah blah, but that is a myth perpetuated by the Empire to instill fear in those who challenge the God-Emperor... hehehehe Marines are still just Human!

So this statue stands a little over 6'7" tall to the top of the helm and is pretty close to normal width. In fact the interesting part is the under armor for the shoulders. That is where the wearer's arms so the Shoulder pads sit much higher.

I hope this reference helps, it is life size and when I stood next to it one could easily see it fitting a person roughly 6'4" or 6'5" with an athletic build and broad shoulders.

That's pretty cool. I would like to point out, that also following the fiction, the Marines themselves are abnormally large, with "giantism' apparent in their features. If you were to actually scale up the minatures perfectly, a human still wouldn't fit right in it...shoulders are too broad and the hlmet sits too low :p. But, enough nitpicking, that's an awesome pic, and the work being done on this project is phenomenal :)

I have the front unfolded on the no aquila model, eyes started going buggy last night so i will finish it up today.

Should be alot smoother build also.....but still lots of cutting.....

Hirgon said:
I have the front unfolded on the no aquila model, eyes started going buggy last night so i will finish it up today.

Should be alot smoother build also.....but still lots of cutting.....

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I'm sure there's a few other people that do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back