Beat Halo 3. SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am slightly disappointed with the scope of the game and how it ended, I enjoyed the game and had fun with it. I'll probably do a full critique in a bit after I beat it again.

The Scarab battles were kinda fun. And I love all the Legendary bonus stuff.

At least it leaves room for more games in the franchise in the future, beyond just Halo Wars.

I'm still holding out for a squad tactical game, maybe where you actually fight it out for earth.

Dedrick said:
Hey optimus were you playing by yourself or co-op I was just wondering.

both. first night we beat it on 4 player co-op. the next night i beat it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a little under six hours to beat on Normal, but it didn't seem that short. Story did answer a lot of questions, but like Adam said, left even more vague points behind. Oh well, usual Halo cliffhanger. The terminals add a lot to the story so look for them. They refer to the first firing of the ring system and the usual explaination to humankind's existence. All in all I was pleased, but not totally. Can't wait till the next one and you know there will be with that ending. This just leaves them a stress free time to think up a really good continuation story in the coming years.

From what I understand this was a prequel to Marathon, or there is speculation it was. Bungie always denied that it was a sequel, but when you see the time at the end of legendary he is awoken in the year 2794, the year that Marathon game took place. Soooo this was all a prequel to the marathon games.

m19sssm said:
From what I understand this was a prequel to Marathon, or there is speculation it was. Bungie always denied that it was a sequel, but when you see the time at the end of legendary he is awoken in the year 2794, the year that Marathon game took place. Soooo this was all a prequel to the marathon games.

Actually the Marathon games took place throughout the Halo timeline, and if what you say is true then after as well, but...

...there is speculation as to the connection between the two stories.

"The Marathon story states the the Marathon ship-moon took ~300 years to reach Tau Ceti; it left Mars in 2472 and arrived in 2772. During that time, they were presumably cut off from direct contact with Sol-space, and thus could not benefit from advances made during their travel (such as Slipspace engines). In this case, they would have remained at basically the same tech-level as when they left (which helps explain why in the game you are able to use ammo left over from a coup 300 years earlier :). We do know that the 10 Mark IVs were in stasis during the entire voyage."

Taken from http://halosm.bungie.org/story/marathon.html .

This explains how the Spartans in the Marathon games are refered to as earlier models and the Master Chief a later model. I had heard that all but one Spartan was accounted for in the Marathon storyline, but of course this is all speculation. Read into it which ever way you want. I tend to like this idea and the possible combination of Halo and Marathon stories in future games.

I only did minimal research for my information so it could be off.

Overall, I enjoyed Halo 3. I'm kinda disappointed that I beat it in seven hours, that last of which was spent on the first half of the last mission, stupid flood... I'm glad it's been left open for a sequel, unless the Marathon Prequel thing is correct... I was pretty annoyed by Cortana and Gravemind bumping in too, slowed the game down way too much. Scarab battles were fun, along with meleeing brutes to death. Overall, my least favorite adversary was the Tank Flood, those guys were frickin' bullet sponges... I've only beat it under Normal though, so I need to go back and try Heroic, then pray to finish Legendary. I hate it that I'm not very good.

On a related note, I second Red's plea for the soundtrack. And is it true that I can't play multiplayer on XBL without a gold account?

This is just a bit of what I know and I havn't done any research, but here it goes.

The Marathon games are the FPS trilogy(right?) that put Bungie on the map in the early to mid 90's. The series was created for the Mac computers of the time and the games were declared Doom Killers. I can't remember much of the story line from what I've read on Wiki, so I can't really describe it. My best recommendation would be to look it up on wiki and read for yourself. It's probably the best idea of the games that you can get without actually playing them.

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well may be, you should be able to download and play the marathon games some where, plus Marathon 2: Durandal is available in the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Demerean said:
Legendary... Too Easy... You obviously have not played it solo. The 9th level, Cortana I think, is stupid crazy.

And the legendary ending doesn't help answer anything, just makes more questions.

Exactly... Solo makes it so much more difficult.

Jim said:
Exactly... Solo makes it so much more difficult.

yeah, its harder than playing co-op. but its still easier than the first Halo on legendary.

The original Marathons are open source from Bungie.

Durandal was revamped for HD technology. It's a fun game.

I got lost half-way through. Umm why are the flood your allies on one level? And on the ending show it has a memorial to the chief, so he died? What is the gravemind? And what is the ark? :( yup I feel ashamed ive completly forgot everything, It was to hard to understand so I cant complain about the ending, because I didnt even know what happend lol.

i personally loved it.. the graphics were great, the story i thought was sweet,
it took me around 10 hours to beat it on heroic and no its not cuz i suck its cuz i like to explore the levels completely,
now im going thru and trying to find all the skulls.

for all the haters out there, bungie gave us a great game, and unless one of you can do any better,
then i dont think we should be bashing.

1) The Flood are your allie in that level because, in order for everyone to survive, the Prophet of Truth needed to be stopped from activating the ring. They helped the Chief to save them selves. The Enemy of My Enemy.

2)The Chief did not die. It is believed he is dead, because only the front half of the ship made it through the portal. If you watched the credits, you wuld see he survived, along with Cortana, and put himself in a cryo-pod until he is rescued.

3)The Gravemind is the collective conscienceness of the flood, that holds the memories from the countless years the Flood have been gone. It controls the Flood so they all work to a singular goal, like the Borg Queen from Star Trek.

4)The Ark was a massive terriformed structure that could order the activation of the Halo rings. The Ark also was responsible for the upkeep of the Rings. It would replicate new ones to replace the damaged or destroyed ones. Also, because it was lightyears away from our galaxy, those on it would be safe from the activation of the Halo rings.

To answer you question Smilie

I love halo 3 personally i like how the graphics were all shiny and stuff but I can't "Bielieve" Chief dies. Thats just Dumb. Anyway The only reason i liked the ending is cause i thought it was funny how Chief was Staring at Cortana's Cheeks....Special Cheeks...

Yeah, I agree. I still have un answered questions... The ending was disappointing and the game was too short. 6 hiurs isnt worth the 4 year wait... Multiplay and game play + graphics was 5 stars though.

Leadingspartan said:
I love halo 3 personally i like how the graphics were all shiny and stuff but I can't "Bielieve" Chief dies. Thats just Dumb. Anyway The only reason i liked the ending is cause i thought it was funny how Chief was Staring at Cortana's Cheeks....Special Cheeks...

Haven't you read anything thing in this thread?... Go beat the last level again and watch the credits the whole way through. :whistle:

It sounds to me like too many of you were in a rush to see the end of the story. You should have played it in Legendary first, instead of rushing through the game then going 'Wah! WTF 4 hours to beat it! Rip Off!"

I played through Legendary in 11 hours and I was completely satisfied with the experience. I'm glad with how it ended and also glad that people who didn't play it in Legendary didn't get the whole story. Hah, serves you right for rushing through a great game!

Seriously... You should have savored Halo 3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back