Beginner to armor Please Help ( Scaling, Card Stock, Folding ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentd3at4

Jr Member
Salutations all. I am new to the 405th forum community as well as completely new to armor making, and "pepping". I started my first attempt at a warmachine pep file ( O_O ) which didnt look intimidating till i got to the tiny little folds along the sides of the helmet. Anyways I found folding these spots EXTREMELY difficult and was wondering if the folding issue would cure itself with better paper. Being this was my FIRST attempt and a hobby me and my wife might enjoy doing together. Anyways I used basic printer paper ( i know im supposed to use card stock ) and it is quite clear that card stock is the best way to go about pepping these helmets and armor pieces.

My question is ( not knowing much about card stock ) what is the average weight of paper should i use? will 110 lb be enough or should I go heavier or is heavier over kill?

Another reason I used printer paper instead of the widely recommended card stock was
A) is it something i would get burnt out on and give up on AND B) to learn about scaling. My helmet is to tight and i have to bend the paper as it sits to fit over my head (though i believe after resined and fiber glass it should fit if I give a lil force to it) So i was glad I didnt waste card stock on a helm that doesnt fit. I did some research through forums and youtube and off the bat this community seems greatly helpful any tips on scaling a helm and preventing this issue before i get committed and make another stab at this helm?

Next, the helmet fits my wife great (.growl lol) but because of bad quality paper in my pep and losing some of the finer details (assuming due to flimsy paper and hard to fold) will i be able to fix some of the lost detail with bondo putty or should i not waste my time, money, or materials?

Furthermore is this problem with the tiny folds due to the paper or my clumsy fingers? Please offer tips to folding techniques? That be great! ^_^.

I know this is a long message but because i finished my first helm in pep even though it looks very shoddy at best it got me excited and its something I think I can do with a little advice and little help and make a better quality pep next time around. Thank you all for reading and anything you can share !

I am used to 3d programs with rulers for measuring distances across spaces... My trick was to print the sections only for the neck opening till I got something that passed my ears. took me a couple rescales, but saved paper and wasted time.. I have been using 110 pound and its worked out fine for me. As for folding. I used a bone folder for a while but also realized the back of a dull exacto blade worked well to and was pretty fast. I pre fold so I know where the paper is going to end up before I glue. You can check out some of the fold work on my progress thread for reference.. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28472-Jun-Reach-Armor-Progress

Hope I have been a little help.

Another question the iron man pep files i downloaded from the iron man wiki dont have the lines and stuff to show the extra folds needed in the paper? IS something wrong with my files or are those special files?

Hey silentd3at4, don't worry that your first pep isn't looking that good, mine was probably even worse, my tip would be to start with something easy, (plasma-nade) and gradually make it more complex.
I started with a plasma-grenade, and I'm currently making a Guilty Spark, it's a lot harder, but thanks to the gathered experience on the first few projects, the latter are going quite well.
So my tip would be to try to improve your skills, instead of using different material. I still use A4-print paper

is there a thread someone can direct me to about scaling pieces IE. What measurements needed for the head piece, shoulder, bicep etc etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back