Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to point out, anyone starting threads, specifically trying to get bungie to give them recon, garner their attention, (that means no "Hey Shishka/Frankie look at me!" threads) or purposefully trying to bother them with PMs on the subject will have their thread locked and their accounts warned or suspended. While I'm sure many people are excited about having them here, any bungie staff are special guests, and should be treated with the respect they deserve. I expect all users to behave with dignity and common sense. Belakor didn't make his armour with the goal of getting recon and neither should you.

NZ-TK said:
I'd just like to point out, anyone starting threads, specifically trying to get bungie to give them recon, garner their attention, (that means no "Hey Shishka/Frankie look at me!" threads) or purposefully trying to bother them with PMs on the subject will have their thread locked and their accounts warned or suspended. While I'm sure many people are excited about having them here, any bungie staff are special guests, and should be treated with the respect they deserve. I expect all users to behave with dignity and common sense. Belakor didn't make his armour with the goal of getting recon and neither should you.
This should just be a general rule, everyone deserves some degree of respect, but yes, especially Bungie. Great stuff you got here belakor, looks real nice. :]

Last edited by a moderator:
NZ-TK said:

Also, I might get weepy. I REALLY don't handle attention well.

This is Belakor's thread, folks; he's the star. I'll be around checking out people's armor, so no need to go out of your way for me.

Okay, lets see if I can get some replies done. If I miss any specific questions let me know, there was four or five pages to go through so I'm bound to miss something.

Once again, a huge thanks to Frankie, Shishka and the rest of the crew for the in-game armor, it's amazingly cool and has been fun getting some cool screenshots while messing around in Forge :D and I can see it being really handy when I start to work on the chest and shoulders again.
Also, Frankie or Shishka, can one of you guys thank Lars for me? He probably doesn't know it but he was basically my one source of reference shots... he always seemed to be in the exact pose I'd need :D

Secondly, thanks to everyone that has posted in here to show their support and/or congratulate me, obviously there's too many posts to quote each one but I appreciate them all :)

I think these are all the specific questions but as above, if I missed you let me know
@ Chupathingy re.padding: Thanks for that info, the bubble wrap sounds interesting and I think I've got a massive roll in the garage... not hot on the expanding foam, especially in the helmet, that's probably a little too risky for me :p and with all the electronics in there I'm not sure how well it would work.
I'll most likely end up doing some custom moulded padding soon, will be doing it when I do my boot soles and undersuit padding.

link4044 said:
thats awesome you got to be on the warthog, how did you get to do that
Just being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people pretty much. I'm not 100% sure how it happened but I believe a friend was talking to one of the guys who built the Warthog and must have told him about me because not long after the guy from Weta tapped me on the shoulder and told me to come get some photos at the end of the day :)

Sean Bradley said:
... That has got to be the "holy grail' of costume pictures if I've ever seen it!
Congrats Belakor, all that hard work has paid off!...
Thanks Sean :) It really was the perfect opportunity for pics in armor, I still think I could go better though... now my personal "holy grail" is to get a pic of me driving the Warthog in armor. It's going to be hard to convince them to let me do that but I'm not going to give up until it happens :)

23Magnum said:
... Hey Belakor, any idea when you'll start the rest of the Recon pieces?
Actually the chest pep is already assembled and I'll have a go at assembling the shoulders over the weekend :D Not sure when I'll get to resining, hopefully soon.

Spartan 051 said:
... Belakor quick question? How did you get your visor to fit so nice in your security helm that you (posted in nugget 3d tread)...
Rather difficultly ;) What I'd probably suggest is that you add support struts to the helmet with cardboard or something and then trim the visor as you try to fit it in, I found that the visor was always wanting to curl up as I fitted it which made things really hard... you could probably add struts of some sort to the visor to keep it's shape, that might make it easier to fit. I'm still trying to get mine to look just right...

Edit: I knew I'd forget something... Also big thanks to GruntOfAction, LastSpartan and Xavier for posting the stories to the Bnet forum, Halo.fr and HBO respectively :)

Regarding the shoulderplates, Belakor: I've actually got one sat here right now that I just took out of the casing - I filled it up with self-expanding foam and it's good to go. And I'd really recommend doing the same, if you can get the supports right - that thing's solid as a rock. I personally don't intend to do much more with the piece (it'll be smoothed off, most likely, before being sent off to Westerfield for moulding), but it's decent to help it keep the shape.

Granted, the first trial was a failure and the thing ended up bloating out like my mom after a good meal, but... ech. Pics of what happened on number 2.

LINK ONE
LINK TWO
LINK THREE
LINK FOUR

Edit: I hate it when I typo filenames >.>

@ Weyland: thanks for posting those pics, that looks like a pretty good way to do it... I did try using expanding foam on my first Recon shoulder but there wasn't enough of an overflow hole and a little too much foam so it exploded :cautious:

@ Dootuz: Yes, yes I can :D

Nothing really to report on the Mjolnir front, I've been slowly working on fiberglassing my EOD helmet and smoothing the EOD chest but those have been put on hold for a while so I can work on some other stuff... I'll hold off on posting about that until the relevant information/materials are out in the wild, I think you should like it :D

Thanks Shadow3944 :)

Update time:

Almost finished fiberglassing the EOD helmet and I've started smoothing. I've cut some pieces out (as you can see in the pics) and I'll replace those pieces with sheet styrene at a later stage. Right now I'm just waiting for some fiberglass to cure, after that I have to do the lower portion of the jaw and finish smoothing.
th_IMG_1310.jpg th_IMG_1312.jpg th_IMG_1313.jpg th_IMG_1311.jpg

I've made some progress on the chest as well, I really need to get some decent reference pics this weekend so I can start adding details.
th_IMG_1319.jpg th_IMG_1317.jpg th_IMG_1322.jpg th_IMG_1321.jpg

Changed the title of the thread, just in-case people were confused ;)

Cool eod, should look sweet going by your last helmet build. You might be the first to do this perm :)

Belakor stinks!! Hah! j/k

Nah you're awesome and ya know it, clap your hands :D How many of these do ya complete on average? Hah you're just incredible!

nope, its true. i have to change my pants, because a plethora of things just went down :D (eeeewww! Hide the kids!)

what badass color is this one gonna be?

bevbor said:
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Man, I just have no words, I...
Awesome!
Thanks Bevbor

Ruze789 said:
Wow!

You are a machine, Belakor... an awesome pepakura producing machine.
Thanks Ruze :D
Lots of free time and nothing else to do really help with the productivity ;)

NZ-TK said:
Cool eod, should look sweet going by your last helmet build. You might be the first to do this perm
If I keep going at the rate I'm going right now I think I'll probably be the last to finish it :p For such a simple helmet, the Iron Man sure does take up a lot of time.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Belakor stinks!! Hah! j/k

Nah you're awesome and ya know it, clap your hands How many of these do ya complete on average? Hah you're just incredible!
*sniffs* Nah, I think that's rvb4life, all sorts of weird stuff going on in that corner of his :p

Thanks SKG :)
Complete? not that many really, I'm working on five helmets right now with three more pep ones ready to start (and then there's all the armor pieces, ODST stuff and all the Iron Man stuff I'm doing ;) ) Whenever I think I'm finally done with one I think of something else to do... I don't know if I'll ever really finish them...

darkm2021 said:
i wanna make a warthog now too
damn i dont have the stuff to make one
I'd love to make one as well.... I wonder if Weta still has the molds... hmm...

rvb4life said:
nope, its true. i have to change my pants, because a plethora of things just went down :D (eeeewww! Hide the kids!)
what badass color is this one gonna be?
Remind me to stay out of that corner you're in right now :p
This'll be black with chrome lenses like the Recon.
The first of all my perm pieces will match the base armor but I've got plans for some interesting colors for the future.

Hey, Belakor.

A question on that EOD chest, if I may?

Any word on the scaling system? I built a copy for a friend, and it's WAY too big, I think. I'll post pics, but... like I said, I think it's too big, and a scaling system wouldn't go amiss to help with the construction.

Belakor said:
stuff went down here.....
Remind me to stay out of that corner you're in right now :p
This'll be black with chrome lenses like the Recon.
The first of all my perm pieces will match the base armor but I've got plans for some interesting colors for the future.
Corner? dude, at this rate, you will have to leave the room :D hey, at 16, your hormones were out of whack too, right?

its a good thing my parents were gonna throw out an fairly used sheet of foam from their bed, its like 2 inches thick and covers a queen sized bed. Think thats enough padding for a whole set of armor? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back