Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
flying_squirl said:
hey, thought you might like to know, YOU FRONT PAGED HBO!

heres the link: http://nikon.bungie.org/newsbyday.html?date=20071231 it was on mobday but still.

its near the bottom.

very nice job bdw.

EDIT: opsse, i just saw that it was in general discussion already.

Thanks for posting that, I had seen it but it's good to have all the related stuff in one place :) and thanks for the compliment, I really like the look of the models you've done so far :D I'm actually getting everything ready so I can start work on your Torso file.

Friendly said:
Careful, someone might mistake you for a Bungie employee.

That could be a good thing... might make it easier to get in to the see Warthog when I'm down that way in a few months ;)

Krylon said:
so when are you molding/selling? Pm me price list for complete and a raw pull.

I'll start the moulding as soon as I've got the money and free time, right now my focus is on getting the whole suit done (or in a presentable state) by April. As for selling, the fate of any pulls is still undecided at the moment...

Now for a Mk V progress report:

I've finished almost all of the fiberglassing, just need to strengthen the neck ring and lower jaw area, also managed to start on the master that I'll use to vac-form a visor out of Lexan or something similar.
th_DSCF2077.jpg
The top has been reattached and the gaps have been filled, now I can focus on smoothing and detailing...
th_DSCF2080.jpg th_DSCF2081.jpg th_DSCF2079.jpg th_DSCF2078.jpg
... still need to find a frame and a good spot on the wall for that print, does anyone else have any of the Halo prints?

Added some magnets to the neck ring as well
th_DSCF2061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ILOL'D said:
Wow! Looks like the helmet has made it's way onto Kotaku and Xbox 360 Fanboy!

Woah! That's certainly unexpected ;) Thanks for letting me know about that.
I better get my act together and finish it :D I think I've found a good source of mirror gold window tint so hopefully I'll have a visor for it soon.

There's something up with the links in your post but I think I fixed them :)
Kotaku Xbox 360 Fanboy

I've got some more progress pics to post of the Mk V... stay tuned :)

Edit: Just found three threads on Bnet and about two and a half pages of results on google about the helmet ;) Don't know if I should reply to the ones on Bnet or not :unsure:

Don't know if I should reply to the ones on Bnet or not
I think you should say hi, that way bungie will know which account to give the recon armour too!

You cheat you cheat you cheat!! :mad:

J/k

You are the first one to have a full done recon helmet!!!! (y)

Love the stormtrooper helmet!
I think i am going to buy a republic commando helmet this week :lol: ? but not sure :(

NZ-TK said:
I think you should say hi, that way bungie will know which account to give the recon armour too!

I popped over there the other day to say hi... thankfully I haven't been attacked with a tidal wave of messages asking to make more helmets :D

WarHead9705 said:
You cheat you cheat you cheat!! :mad:
J/k

You are the first one to have a full done recon helmet!!!! (y)

Love the stormtrooper helmet!
I think i am going to buy a republic commando helmet this week :lol: ? but not sure :(

:lol: thanks

An RC helmet? Cool! I was going to get one of them a while back but then started on this project, I'll get one eventually though... they're awesome, especially with the blue EL light on the visor :D

Quick update (crosspost from another forum)...

Some rather sad pics of the Recon helmet:
th_DSCF2087.jpg th_DSCF2089.jpg th_DSCF2091.jpg

I found some soft spots on the right side while trying to fix some of the symmetry problems which had to be removed... it's just like rust... the harder you look, the more you find and in the end you just have to cram as much bondo into the hole as you can and forget about it :p
Should have all the repairs done early next week and hopefully have it repainted not long after.

and a few of the Mk V:
th_DSCF2100.jpg th_DSCF2095.jpg th_DSCF2098.jpg th_DSCF2099.jpg
I've done more on the Mk V since then, adding more details etc, and will post photos soon.

Just took some torso progress photos :)
th_IMG_0508.jpg th_IMG_0506.jpg
th_IMG_0504.jpg th_IMG_0510.jpg

Here's a shot of the quick rigging system I threw together earlier today, I'll upload some better shots once I finish the side pieces
th_IMG_0507.jpg

Now I just have to figure out a good to way attach the ab piece and fabricate the back pieces that I cut out earlier... the plan for that is to cut the pieces out of styrene and glue them in, should be much easier to get good sharp edges :)

Edit: Forgot to say, if a mod sees this could I get this thread moved to the pep forum please :) otherwise I'll PM someone about it next time I'm online :)

Belakor said:

Here's a shot of the quick rigging system I threw together earlier today, I'll upload some better shots once I finish the side pieces
th_IMG_0507.jpg

Now I just have to figure out a good to way attach the ab piece and fabricate the back pieces that I cut out earlier... the plan for that is to cut the pieces out of styrene and glue them in, should be much easier to get good sharp edges :)

Edit: Forgot to say, if a mod sees this could I get this thread moved to the pep forum please :) otherwise I'll PM someone about it next time I'm online :)

im borrowing your idea for the neck protector. my chest and back pieces dig into me pretty badly, i need something more than just a cotton neckseal for protection

optimusaint said:
im borrowing your idea for the neck protector. my chest and back pieces dig into me pretty badly, i need something more than just a cotton neckseal for protection

Yeah, even after trimming mine it still dug in pretty bad. The stuff I used was the rubber trim from my old FX Stormtrooper helmet but it should be pretty easy to find a suitable alternative... I think it's just rubber automotive trim but without the metal reinforcing.

That looks insane, in the good way.

I dont know, i guess im too lazy to read, but how do you put all the little details in? cover it with bondo and pick the details in with a toothpick? because that looks too real to be pepakura.

maybe it isnt..... ;)

but it looks amazing nonetheless.

rvb4life said:
That looks insane, in the good way.

I dont know, i guess im too lazy to read, but how do you put all the little details in? cover it with bondo and pick the details in with a toothpick? because that looks too real to be pepakura.
maybe it isnt..... ;)

but it looks amazing nonetheless.

I've been meaning to do a small tutorial on how I detailed it but I haven't got 'round to it yet... hopefully I'll have some free time soon...

Anyway, basically what I did was smooth it out as you normally would with bondo (might work with mud too, haven't tried it yet) then draw on the detail lines with a marker (using ref images to get it right) and then carefully go over the lines with a Dremel and some engraving bits. The ones I used were #'s 118 and 194
After that I just used some needle files to tidy things up.

I've just started detailing the torso today so I'll try and get some photos and a tut up in the near future :)

Edit: I just added my face add-on for Slyfo's helmet in the first post, hopefully I'll have my helmet up soon.

Belakor said:

th_IMG_0507.jpg

its turning out better then ide even hoped! *wipes tear away* your flying along with it too. ill put the recon chest on the model after i get the helmet done. remind me if i dont give it to you by monday. (it was you who asked for that right?*looks around worried...forgets and wanders off*)

flying_squirl said:
its turning out better then ide even hoped! *wipes tear away* your flying along with it too. ill put the recon chest on the model after i get the helmet done. remind me if i dont give it to you by monday. (it was you who asked for that right?*looks around worried...forgets and wanders off*)

Actually, I wouldn't mind it either, since I'm working on a Recon variant myself...

Also, Belakor PMed me with the nose piece for the helm. I can't link it without his permission, but it does exist and if you ask him he may add the link for those of you who need it.

flying_squirl said:

Thanks FS, glad you like it :) though you did the hard work, I just assembled it and threw bondo at it ;)
Lookign forward to the Recon chest but don't fell like you have to rush or anything, I'm not in a rush :) especially now that I've missed my deadline for moulding so it's been pushed back a bit. *mental note: buy more cardstock*

Primal Weyland said:
Actually, I wouldn't mind it either, since I'm working on a Recon variant myself...

Also, Belakor PMed me with the nose piece for the helm. I can't link it without his permission, but it does exist and if you ask him he may add the link for those of you who need it.

I added the link to that file in the first post just in case there were others after it (I'll also add the link here so no-one misses it)

Skullcandy Girl said:
OMG XD I saw your torso progress on FS's thread but I totally missed your recon gear, shame on me! FANTASTIC work!!! :D

Thanks Skullcandy Girl :) The thread was pretty easy to miss in the noob forum so it's understandable ;) should get a little more traffic here though :D

LastSpartan said:
Woooow!

Little question, why you put 8-9 layers of Primer?

That's because of all the wetsanding I did to get it smooth (so much sanding that I actually destroyed the fingerprints on both my hands :p) and also because I would get it smooth and then decide to change something which would mean I'd have to re-prime and sand the changed area again

As I said at the beginning of this post, I missed the deadline for moulding the helmet so it'll be a while before I get to do it... not that I mind really, I'd rather do it right than try and rush it. That now means I can focus on doing more work on the torso, I've just started detailing some areas and also started building up a few spots:
th_IMG_0539.jpg th_IMG_0509-1.jpg th_IMG_0541.jpg

I cut out a couple of the little light things too
th_IMG_0544.jpg th_IMG_0542.jpg

While I was out I picked up a small camera, the resolution isn't all that bad and it fit's in the helmet perfectly :D
th_IMG_0549.jpg th_IMG_0548.jpg

Came with a telephoto lens too, don't think I'll have a use for that though.
th_IMG_0552.jpg

I haven't really done enough on this to justify a post in the weapons forum yet but I thought I'd post a pic of it here
th_IMG_0538.jpg
That's the bomb from the Assault gametype, I've never actually played assault but I thought it looked cool... still working on the lower half

Belakor said:
Hello all,

Another new member here, but not new to the world of costuming and prop building. I've been a member of the 501st for about nine months now and building props and costumes for many years.

I've been working on and posting about my pep Recon armor on another forum for a while and a friend and fellow garrison member suggested I post it over here now that I'm almost finished (with the helmet)... so here they are:
th_DSCF1941.jpg th_DSCF1942.jpg th_DSCF1945.jpg th_DSCF1939.jpg
th_DSCF1940.jpg th_DSCF1943.jpg th_DSCF1944.jpg
I've still got a bit of work to do before the helmet is totally finished, still have to finish all the wiring (which is fairly involved), padding, and tidy up a few problems on the outside. I've also started on the Recon chest but I haven't done a whole lot on that.

There are heaps more photos of various projects over on my Photobucket account, most of which are still very much unfinished ;)

Anyways, that's about all for now. Comments, criticism, and questions welcomed :)

Update: My Recon Face add-on is now up for downloading :) The scale is the same as Slyfo's Recon helmet file.

I'll try and get my full helmet file up as soon as possible

isnt there a gold sunglass looking visor in then a clear one on the outside?

shadow8136 said:
isnt there a gold sunglass looking visor in then a clear one on the outside?

Not sure I follow you... which visor do you mean?

I finally finished unfolding the helmet and just uploaded it, I must warn you though, I'm not that good at unfolding :unsure:
Recon Helmet
That's the default 26cm scale which should fit most people, I just noticed that the center forehead detail thing isn't in the file (I didn't use it on mine so I completely forgot about it) so I'll upload a separate piece shortly :)
I'm also working on a few Mac friendly versions (24cm-28cm scales)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back