Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at doing the same with the reprap! Imagine, the ability to create your personal files, and have them created right in front of you.

DYSTORTED INC said:
I was looking at doing the same with the reprap! Imagine, the ability to create your personal files, and have them created right in front of you.

That's what initially drew me to the two machines, the possibilities really are endless! They're pretty cheap too, I'll probably end up spending about NZ$1500 to get the Cupcake CNC here plus buying cabling, power supply, etc. Much better than the high end machines ;) and you can run them for next to nothing.

I'll probably start a topic once I get mine ordered and maybe turn a few more people on to the concept :)

Edit: Adding some other photos of the Spartan armour, these are all way old now:

My Mk VI handplate sculpt:

3394040210_1cbe0afe85.jpg 3393227101_35c86e2321.jpg

I have newer, better photos somewhere.

Improved shins:

3391608496_e7596cf775.jpg 3391610116_598f11241f.jpg

New thigh weapon mount, the pistol now stays attached to the thigh and takes a bit of effort to remove :)

3343073610_5255d14e1c.jpg

These next mods are all non-canon, just done for fun.

Mark IV shoulder:

3405388921_09b6871884.jpg 3406226554_94fc64613b.jpg

Model by Bevbor, thanks again for that! and built at an insane rate. I literally threw the thing together the night before using nothing but bondo

This I think turned out pretty cool, used the Halo Wars SoF patch as a reference to build a modified patch that I attached to the left Mk VI shoulder:

3391599750_8c66781cdc.jpg 3365409035_bd7450fff0.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos of the armour, taken last october before all of the new mods

3096743844_baaba58df8.jpg

The guys at Weta were kind enough to pull Cortana out of the display case and off her base for a photo :)

I have to get the suit out again soon so I can take photos for my portfolio, I'll post some good ones up here when I'm done :)

One last edit: Since I've never posted this here:

2888670284_5b74699750.jpg

That was back in September after I decided to resculpt the helmet using clay... setting it on fire seemed appropriate somehow and I fully intend on doing it again. Once the master is moulded I'll be finding all sorts of interesting ways to destroy it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This one the best recon helmets I have run across. Can't wait to see the molds for this come out. Keep it up you are doing great :)

gmstrowabarton said:
This one the best recon helmets I have run across. Can't wait to see the molds for this come out. Keep it up you are doing great :)

Thanks :) I'm looking forward to getting this thing moulded, that way I can finally be done with it and use the clay for something else :D

It's now one step closer to being out of my life now, only taken 640 days :rolleyes ... granted it's only a couple of months (three max) of actual work.

Finished up all the sculpting and now it's just a matter of giving it a couple more smoothing passes and tweaking the right "speaker" vent slightly. Other than that it's done.

3791243118_4ef53f0efb.jpg

3791246150_28baa93b2d.jpg

3790438331_91fe344b87.jpg

3790442727_a70e3ddb64.jpg

3790446423_95083dc8d1.jpg

I need to do something about a better base and then get the final photos for my portfolio.

im new here and ive only seen a few suits of armour and helmets but that is the BEST HELMET IVE SEEN EVAAAA!!! :eek :D kepp up the good work ill be paying attension to this topic no question about it.

Samuray said:
That model looks awesome. Keep it up. I will definitely be watching this topic

Thanks, I'll keep updating this as I make progress on the other perm pieces (that I never finished ;) ) and when the Recon gets moulded :D

mks81 said:
Lovin' the helmet belakor!! The details in it are just phenomenal!!

Thanks :) The details worked out pretty well, though there are some things I need to fix on the casts... like the forehead detail, still throwing some ides around for that one, and those recessed details in the sides of the dome.

Should look much nicer when it's detailed and painted :D (There's going to be a standard green, DARE, and something special I've been cooking up)

GBautist said:
im new here and ive only seen a few suits of armour and helmets but that is the BEST HELMET IVE SEEN EVAAAA!!! kepp up the good work ill be paying attension to this topic no question about it.

Thanks and welcome to the site :)

Skullcandy Girl said:
YAY! Belakor!!! <3

:D Thanks SKG :)

agbates said:
Utterly awesome.....

Spartan 051 said:
When did you pick up sculpting? I remember some of your older work an it was all pep or scratch built

About a year ago I think, must have been about Sept last year when I started this... I have actually done a bit of sculpting in the past but I only picked it up again after being inspired by some super talented people I met :)

This is/was the first real sculpt I've ever done, it can only get better from here...

I actually found some old photos of the first helmet I did years ago:

3797413804_8f6801d6e0_m.jpg

More in here

That was using some horrible water clay during the summer (so it was drying way too fast) and I only had three references to work from... I think that was my third ever sculpt, the first being one of the creatures from 'Pitch Black' and the other a statue from one of the Star Wars prequels. I don't think I got photos of them, this was well before digital cameras caught on

Dug this out of the garage yesterday and threw some clay on:

3810188274_ebbbb7125f.jpg 3809378381_3a481519f0.jpg

3809377071_205fa0c824.jpg

I'm only using the hard Chavant NSP this time but my torch is all out of fuel so it's taking a bit of work to get the left side smoothed out more.

I'll probably only finish the dome right now and come back to it later. Once I get my Makerbot and have it running smoothly I want to try and print some of the greeblies in ABS and use them to detail the helmet.

Thanks to both of you :)

As far as this goes:

Adam Anderson said:
... btw did you use a standard moto visor for it? ...

I make my own from 0.5 - 1mm clear plastic and tint it myself with auto tint film. It's far cheaper than a motorcycle visor and I had the gear on hand to do it so it cost basically nothing.

For the final helmet cast I'll be vac-forming the visor, with all the details etc, and have them (three of them) vac-metallized for the mirror chrome finish.

Belakor said:
Thanks to both of you :)

As far as this goes:

I make my own from 0.5 - 1mm clear plastic and tint it myself with auto tint film. It's far cheaper than a motorcycle visor and I had the gear on hand to do it so it cost basically nothing.

For the final helmet cast I'll be vac-forming the visor, with all the details etc, and have them (three of them) vac-metallized for the mirror chrome finish.

If you vac-metallize it, with it still be translucent?

Great job on the Recon sculpt. Are you using WED clay or Chavant?

CMC said:
how did you make the helmet so smooth ive been trying everything

That depends on which version you're talking about. For the original fiberglass version it's just a lot of bondo then sanding, more bondo and more sanding... hours and hours of sanding and filling until it was smooth. For the clay it's a matter of slowly working the clay smooth with different tools like rakes and eventually smoothing it more with alcohol and baby powder... that's at two different stages, mixing clay and baby powder at the same time would probably just make a big mess ;)

Pretty much it just takes a lot of time and effort and the longer you spend on it the better it gets :)

Yodajammies said:
How that makerbot coming along Bel? Looking forward to seeing your work with it.

Pretty good so far, basically done now:

3966773533_f8100fbbfd.jpg

Got a PSU coming and now I just need a multimeter for the nichrome and a crimper and RJ45 connectors for the endstop cables.

Can't wait to actually print something!

Will probably start up a topic shortly about it all :)

Rook said:
If you vac-metallize it, with it still be translucent?

Great job on the Recon sculpt. Are you using WED clay or Chavant?

It should be, something like what the LA guys were doing with the Mk VI helmet:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7693&view=findpost&p=161940

Thanks :) I'm using Chavant (NSP medium and hard), it's expensive at about NZ$40 per brick but it works and I can reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back