Best Place To Buy? I Don't Want To Be Duped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehalogod

I read the forum rules and see that it's generally frowned upon to ask questions about buying / selling and instead to ask about how to make your own armor... but if you could see just how bad I was at building anything you would understand why I'm asking about where I can buy armor instead of how to make it.

I can't even put together a desk let alone create my own halo armor, so I'd really like to buy a high quality set in the $1,000 to $2,000 range.

I searched through a variety of threads on this forum and found that Nightmare Armor studios apparently no longer sells Halo armor (this thread I found was 2 years old though...) and I remember seeing their work and loving it. I also found another thread that linked to a classifieds forum here on 405th.com but it apparently is no longer up (looks like it's no longer on the forum).

Please don't noob bash me, but I'm just looking to purchase a good set of Halo armor. The set I saw in this video (which lead me to this forum) looks mass good:

Any places that sell armor as good as this? I saw another thread about westerfieldstudios and then found this link to some base armor:

http://www.westerfieldstudios.com/costumebasic.html

Is that a pretty good set? I just want to avoid buying something like this:

http://www.costumesupercenter.com/m...halo-3-master-chief-collectors-edition-a.html

I read the reviews from various sites that said this armor sucked.

What do you think / recommend? I definitely want to have it in time for Halloween, but I also just want to go walk out on the town with it on to see people's reactions lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
thehalogod said:
I read the forum rules and see that it's generally frowned upon to ask questions about buying / selling and instead to ask about how to make your own armor... but if you could see just how bad I was at building anything you would understand why I'm asking about where I can buy armor instead of how to make it.

I can't even put together a desk let alone create my own halo armor, so I'd really like to buy a high quality set in the $1,000 to $2,000 range.

I searched through a variety of threads on this forum and found that Nightmare Armor studios apparently no longer sells Halo armor (this thread I found was 2 years old though...) and I remember seeing their work and loving it. I also found another thread that linked to a classifieds forum here on 405th.com but it apparently is no longer up (looks like it's no longer on the forum).

Please don't noob bash me, but I'm just looking to purchase a good set of Halo armor. The set I saw in this video (which lead me to this forum) looks mass good:

Any places that sell armor as good as this? I saw another thread about westerfieldstudios and then found this link to some base armor:

Is that a pretty good set? I just want to avoid buying something like this:

http://www.costumesupercenter.com/m...halo-3-master-chief-collectors-edition-a.html

I read the reviews from various sites that said this armor sucked.

What do you think / recommend? I definitely want to have it in time for Halloween, but I also just want to go walk out on the town with it on to see people's reactions lol.

Well, first off, 405th does not sell armor. The classifieds section is available to members who have been here for a while and just want to sell parts they are no longer using. I would just try making armor using pepakura, its fairly straight forward, and easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I remember wen I first joined, all my armor looked like crap, but I made it myself and that counts for something! :pI say give it a shot, have fun, and post pics of your progress!!

as noted 405th isn't a "buy armor here" kinda place, it's a "make your own damn armor and here's how" kinda place.

but there are ways to get with people an work with them in order to get your own.

if you're lookin to take the easy way out you can try talking to the people that make alot of armor as either a hobby or even a side job (there are those on here that do that) an talk to them about commissioning them for your own armor set.

good luck finding a whole finished set in that range though. every set of armor has to be hand crafted whether through molds or pepakura or even wood an cardboard, but regardless everything is made to fit that specific individual. so you could either luck out an find someone selling a set of armor that's your same measurements, or you could pay a bit more than your range in order to commission someone to possibly make it for you, of course you'd have to hand over all specific measurements. the cheapest full set i've seen selling at any one point so far is probably for like... $3000-$4000 cause it's people that know their $h!t an produce awesome work. most people that are making their stuff from pepakura don't seem to me doing that sort of thing because it's another form of extremely tedious work that takes a while. but i'm sure you can find something if you look hard enough.

I'd suggest searching thought the classifieds an then contacting the individuals privately about the matter an see if they're willing.

First off, welcome to the 405th trooper, OO-RAH!!!

I agree with Overlord_Ian, you should try a couple more times before you think about buying a suit.

Here are some reasons why:

*Its WAY cheaper to make it. An ENTIRE SPARTAN II suit will cost you a good five dollars(referring to the pack of cardstock).

*You can scale the armor to your height and build, which is cool because not everyone here is a 7ft tall supersoldier.

Most people make/sell only Master Chief suits and you would probably want to make the SPARTAN you use in XBL.

All in all, try a bit longer in making a suit from pepakura and see where it goes from there. With $2,000, you can make a about 10 SPARTANs or less.

Good luck on which ever plan you choose.

-Pony

i'm with everybody else on this one just give pepakura a try it's not hard to do at all just take the time and give it a shot p.s. the mc armor video you found, the reason why the armor looks so good is that's the site owner's armor (adam) his the reason were all here

Quote Overlord-Ian

Quote Pony

Quite right guys. ;) Building your own suit is the best way to go for a number of different reasons. A home-built suit will conform well to your body if you scale correctly. It's also nice to be able to to say, "Wow! I actually made this!".

I will however tell you, I myself am guilty of the "Give up" syndrome. I didn't believe that I'd be able to complete everything myself, and went ahead and bought some parts from various members. Now my suit is comprised more of others work than of my own. :rolleyes Bottom line is, some people prefer the satisfaction of building their own, others prefer to buy if they can afford some of the fine work on this site.

I'm not gonna tell you that you "can't" buy from others. You'll just need to help some people out, and post a little to get your post count up.

The price range you mentioned is very reasonable, and you'd be able to buy a full suit for that amount rather easily. Said suit may not be "finished", but it will be close. Most kit suits just need to be painted and and strapped and they'll be done. That can be done for under $75.

So anyways, in a nutshell, try us out. ;) Put together some pep and see how you like it. Then when you've found your way around, get to know some people like Ithica and the Soaring Hammer team. They'll be your friend when it comes to buying a suit. Have fun man :cool

Welcome to 405th. I will first say that i absolutely agree with everyone here that making it is far more rewarding than the purchase. That being said, your original request was for help with a purchase. Right now Ithica, a very well respected member here at the 405th, is auctioning a beautiful full set of armor to raise money for Dragon Con. The high bid I saw last was $750.00. Auction closes Tuesday, central standard. Although buying is frowned upon, Some respect(among the community) can be salvaged knowing you are helping a member of the community. Here is the link:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19718&st=0

With your price range, it should be yours. You only have hours so make it quick and good luck.

Maj. Pain

Overlord_Ian said:
Well, first off, 405th does not sell armor. The classifieds section is available to members who have been here for a while and just want to sell parts they are no longer using. I would just try making armor using pepakura, its fairly straight forward, and easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I remember wen I first joined, all my armor looked like crap, but I made it myself and that counts for something! :pI say give it a shot, have fun, and post pics of your progress!!

Hello Overlord_Ian,

I hear what you're saying. I guess my point is that I'm in more of a time crunch / I think people truly don't understand just how bad I am at building things... anything for that matter. I also rent and have no garage etc. where I could deal with painting or any potential fumes that result in the building of armor (again, I still need to research pepakura though).

Major Pain said:
Welcome to 405th. I will first say that i absolutely agree with everyone here that making it is far more rewarding than the purchase. That being said, your original request was for help with a purchase. Right now Ithica, a very well respected member here at the 405th, is auctioning a beautiful full set of armor to raise money for Dragon Con. The high bid I saw last was $750.00. Auction closes Tuesday, central standard. Although buying is frowned upon, Some respect(among the community) can be salvaged knowing you are helping a member of the community. Here is the link:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19718&st=0

With your price range, it should be yours. You only have hours so make it quick and good luck.

Maj. Pain

Hello Major,

Thanks for the link. I just contacted Ithica via the thread.

Side note:

No one has mentioned whether or not these guys do good work or not:

If you know please share.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back