1st Build Biskt's Halo Infinite Chief Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biskt

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for about 7 years now and have recently decided to get back into the hobby!
I made a couple of EVA/Fiberglass Iron Man suits before I started University but haven't really made a suit since I left home (almost 5 years ago now!)
I'm also a 3D artist in the videogames industry by trade so I figure i'd put those skills to use and have started modelling the armour, trying to make it as accurate as I can.

The plan is to 3D print most of it, I've got an Ender 5 Plus on the way.
Any advice you guys have for printing armour would be much appreciated!

-Additionally if anyone spots anything off about the model please let me know, I can't guarantee i'll change everything but two pairs of eyes are better than one.

Wondering how to tackle the under-suit... I'm thinking a mix of printed flexible parts, foam, elastic and a lot of sewing...

003.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited:
Jeez man I’ve been working on the Infinite suit for the last few months and you pull up with this beauty!!! your modeling skills are incredible, would love to see more of your work!
I second this I’m building one too, we should form a Infinite squad! But seriously, this is slick. Good job so far!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've made a little more progress on the chest, I wasn't happy with the topology on the front, and noticed a few issues so I went back and redid those parts. After that I added in the missing detailing, and i'm now blocking out the back.

I'm aiming to match chief's proportions as closely as possible, and once all the parts are complete I plan to 3D scan myself and in a copy of the file scale the parts with the digital me as reference. I'm 6'4 and pretty broad so i'm hoping I'll be able to just scale the parts down slightly with minimal adjustments to the overall shape and proportion.

011.JPG
010.JPG

In the meantime I've been thinking about areas of the costume, such as the boots. I've been looking at something like these to use as a base, as the zip up sides might be handy for getting in and out easily, without loose laces (I'd replace those with elastic cord) and without damaging the armour.

-But- I was wondering if anyone has any experience with platform boots or similar? If i can find a comfy pair that aren't too expensive that add a couple inches to my height I might consider it. Does anyone have any ideas?

1593379790507.png

Thanks for looking!

I plan to 3D scan myself and in a copy of the file scale the parts with the digital me as reference.
Looks amazing! What program are you modelling that in?
Also, have a look at Armorsmith - it's a program that allows you to create an avatar of yourself based on dimensions and scale parts based on your virtual avatar. You can then export 3d files to print them (or even turn them into papercraft).

Looks amazing! What program are you modelling that in?
Also, have a look at Armorsmith - it's a program that allows you to create an avatar of yourself based on dimensions and scale parts based on your virtual avatar. You can then export 3d files to print them (or even turn them into papercraft).

Thanks Alexander!
I'm modelling in good old 3DS max as it's what I use on a daily basis :)
I've seen armoursmith, but having scanned myself before I know it's not a difficult process and then I also have a very accurate model to model on rather than an approximation. I'm also of the habit of trying to keep my workflow to as few pieces of software as possible, i'm less likely to make mistakes that way when I press print at 2am lol

Hey all, just a little bit of progress on the chief armour, been working on getting the back shapes right and making sure they fit together properly, then detailing them.

The guys I ordered the printer from neglected to mention they didn't actually have any stock so I may be waiting a while for it with the current shipping/postal situation, not that any of these files will be ready to go that soon anyway.
I am however collecting reference of the infinite assault rifle too:

I found this online which is from the Infinite trailer, someone trimmed out chief and the control room, might be useful to anyone else looking to model or otherwise fabricate this guy.

079DSCm.png

And the chest/back progress:

016.JPG

017.JPG

Hey all, just a little bit of progress on the chief armour, been working on getting the back shapes right and making sure they fit together properly, then detailing them.

The guys I ordered the printer from neglected to mention they didn't actually have any stock so I may be waiting a while for it with the current shipping/postal situation, not that any of these files will be ready to go that soon anyway.
I am however collecting reference of the infinite assault rifle too:

I found this online which is from the Infinite trailer, someone trimmed out chief and the control room, might be useful to anyone else looking to model or otherwise fabricate this guy.

View attachment 292630

And the chest/back progress:

View attachment 292628
View attachment 292629
this is awsome work just breath taking.

I've made a little more progress on the back of the chest section. Getting these angles right on these exhaust thing has been tricky, I prioritised making sure the front angles looked more correct over the back ones. This part was fun to make though, I love the protruding vents on the halo armour.
I think the entire assembly needs to be a tad thinner at the rear, but I may wait until I've got the details in there before I squash the shapes to see.

024.JPG

023.JPG

I've made a little more progress on the back of the chest section. Getting these angles right on these exhaust thing has been tricky, I prioritised making sure the front angles looked more correct over the back ones. This part was fun to make though, I love the protruding vents on the halo armour.
I think the entire assembly needs to be a tad thinner at the rear, but I may wait until I've got the details in there before I squash the shapes to see.

View attachment 292682
View attachment 292683
Damn this looks so good, nearly perfect. I want your files lmaoo

Any ideas for making available your models when done? Im planning to make Fred based on the Shadows of Reach book cover and seeing you just do the torso piece shows me that your files are definitely one of the most accurate I've seen, the proportions look accurate and the detail is incredible.

Printer Arrived!
Just been printing test prints, pretty happy with them so far, I might try printing a magnum while I work on the armour.

In regards to the sharing the files, I may put the printable ones up for sale once they're complete. I'm not sure if I'll model the helmet, there seems to be a few good ones out there already, we'll see.

1594321699894.png

Thanks for the kind words all! I've been spending a lot of my free time over the weekend trying out the printer, I've had a few spaghetti prints but after tweaking some settings and making sure to clean and prime (with hairspray) the plate i'm getting prints that don't fail! hooray!

First up the progress on the back:

028.JPG

029.JPG

And my non-spaghetti prints are a H5 magnum I found on thingiverse and a little ODST, both were good for learning about the printer and how to ensure good prints :)

Its been helpful to study the process and understand why prints are sliced how they are. I think i'll be using lock and key or something similar to join my parts together.

1594591264504.png

1594591638400.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words all! I've been spending a lot of my free time over the weekend trying out the printer, I've had a few spaghetti prints but after tweaking some settings and making sure to clean and prime (with hairspray) the plate i'm getting prints that don't fail! hooray!

First up the progress on the back:

View attachment 292838

View attachment 292839

And my non-spaghetti prints are a H5 magnum I found on thingiverse and a little ODST, both were good for learning about the printer and how to ensure good prints :)

Its been helpful to study the process and understand why prints are sliced how they are. I think i'll be using lock and key or something similar to join my parts together.

View attachment 292840
View attachment 292841
aboslutely love the armor man you are awsome. that is spot on. and i think that is the handle of the magnum it looks awsome... i will be watching this post very close....

Hey everyone, after a brief hiatus involving focusing on some other projects and some corrupted harddrives I'm back to working on Chief.

Sadly I lost the project files for the armour when one of my drives corrupted, however I had backups of the 3D file from a few days back, so I managed to recover that and saved it elsewhere.

I've worked back up to where I was before the corruption, with the top vents and back detailing, then today I spent some time today reworking the proportions of everything and doing some general cleanup, before moving onto the remaining front details and neck seal/detailing.

I'm still not entirely sure how my slicing software will cope with a mesh so heavy, I know people often print lowpoly models, but personally I hate seeing the model geometry in a print, I'd like to minimise the amount of larger sanding/reforming work after printing if possible. I plan to break out the detailed areas and print them at a higher res for quality and the armour plates at a lower res for speed.

30.PNG
31.PNG
32.PNG

I now just need to add the back spine panel, trims, backfaces (inner surfaces) and finish the arm seal area/underarm lock area.

Thanks for looking! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back