Blackwell's Destiny Warlock build log

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by mblackwell1002, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Austin3991

Austin3991

Looks awesome dude! I always loved playing a Warlock might have to build me one at some point

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  2. Spartan55

Spartan55

This is looking amazing. You could say it's the nova bomb..... yeah that was a bad joke

I need to myself a copy of that dictionary.... probably should make one for me as well...... BANNA!!!!

3. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

There is a copy here......but it hasn't been updated in a while. and yes......that was a terrible joke.

4. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Ok, folks. So I have quite a large update to share with you all.

First off, the coat is almost done. I saw BlazedStarbon finishing up her coat, so I decided to resume some progress on mine. And that, ladies and gentlemen is where I have impressed myself the most. I am so pleased with this thing, but there is still a lot to work on still. This is my first time sewing, so I couldn't be prouder.
    Costume 2.jpg
    I hope you fellow guardians like it as much as I do.

And here's my new shoulder armor:
    shoulder 2.jpg
    I'm pretty pleased with this one as well. Some of the seams opened up a little bit after heat-gunning and plasti-dipping, but I am still very happy with it.
    I tried my best to do some nice fine-detailing, and I think I succeeded in doing that.
    IMG_4949.JPG
    I also used my Dremel to smooth out and chamfer some corners for a cool dimensional effect:
    IMG_4950.JPG
    But the process was not without its difficulties. The big fin was super hard to secure at first, as it was connected by two very small contact points.
    IMG_4951.JPG
    I strengthened the fin by putting some screws in there. It worked pretty well, and I was surprised the screws didn't rip the foam.
    shoulder 1.JPG
    All in all, I'm super stoked about the final product. I'm seeing what it will look like, and I have a very good feeling about it. I should definitely be capable of knocking this project out before Jet City Comic Show in October.

Thanks for looking, and I hope to see some of you at Jet City Comic Show!

of course, pick up a copy of Destiny 2, guardians!

5. BlazedStarbon

BlazedStarbon RMO 405th Regiment Officer

That coat is amazing! (I'm cheating big time with mine. Just about finished here)
    Did you use a pattern for the coat? My mistake has been free-handing everything. :notworthy:

You have some skills, my friend! That foam work is superb as well!

Schankerz and mblackwell1002 like this.
  6. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Well, I used a pattern I bought from Jo-Ann's, made that coat out of muslin, and modified it a TON to fit what I wanted it to be. It's pretty much unrecognizable from the original pattern. I added a few seams, but removed and altered the old seams that I wanted to keep.

And thank you. I tried to take it slow to make the coat as good as it can be with my skill level. I still have the other sleeve and the fuzzy collar to do, though. Those will be tough. And the pants...I'll just buy some. I have no idea what I'll wear underneath the coat for a shirt. I'll probably make my own Traveler t-shirt for the heck of it. I've been practicing with other t-shirt stencils with some fabric paints, because the coat has a blue and orange stripe across it that I will add. That will be tricky considering the quilted fabric...

Once again, thanks for the compliments. I pride myself in my foam work. :p

7. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Great work on the coat. Hoping to get a picture in the light a little more, but from what I can see you've got some sewing skills to add to your arsenal. Keep it up!

8. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Allllriggght, folks! I'll drop off some pictures for you all!

Awkward weaponless pose #1!
    Myself.JPG
    A few fellow guardians were there as well!
    Hunter 2.JPG Hunter 1.JPG
    The blue and white hunter happened to be the 405th's very own Huntress217.
    Thom.JPG
    And I also met up with Thom A293 (above) and PerniciousDuke.

Duke was (sadly) costume-less...and I didn't take any pictures of him, sadly. Not entirely sure if he would appreciate me taking random pictures of him anyway.:p

Anywho, after the costume contest (which I got honorable mention) Huntress (who earned 3rd place(y)) and I took some fun pictures:
    Dab.JPG Serious Face.JPG
    Overall, I had a lot of fun.

Thanks for looking, everyone!

Spartans.JPG

Stormtrooper.JPG

9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Looks like a good time. And the warlock looks killer, nice job

10. BlazedStarbon

BlazedStarbon RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Well done on the warlock! Congratulations on getting an honourable mention in the contest, too!

11. Huntress217

Huntress217

Hell yeah! You looked so great buddy. It was awesome to meet you too!