Calgary Expo - April 23 - 26, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I supposed someone from Calgary should know Calgary well enough to find a place for dinner.
What do you need done for it? Just find a place and make reservations for x number of people?

Jedi Ranger - I don't think we'll need the TV this year but thank you so much for the offer! I'm trying to avoid having to pay for power along with paying for all of the booth stuff but I may change my mind about that so that we have a spot for phone charging etc.

Still no volunteers to organize the Parade or a dinner? The only thing I can suggest is that we see if we can piggy back on to a dinner with the Star Wars groups. If that's cool with all of you, I can look in to that. If not, I will still need someone to take this on.

Sadly I'm in the boat of I have no idea what people want/locations around Calgary. If someone from the city like iac300 or SpartanProps have suggestions I am all ears.

Far as the parade goes what sort of organization is needed? I hope no one minds but I took the liberty of firing off a 405th Infantry Division application since registration has opened up. Do we have a banner? It can't contain dates or explicit content. We can't leave trash. All of our actions come back on me (Please don't get me banned.) We need to be on grounds early. Props must adhere to policy. They ask that we not bring any but every year everyone attends in full gear with props so this is going to have to be up to an CO in some shape or form.

All details are able to be found here. Calgary Expo I April 23 - 26, 2020
We all still must register as individuals to my knowledge.

Downtown Calgary food options during Expo weekend is always a gong-show.

If we do NOT join the Star Wars groups on their evening, I'd really like to have the 405th gathering on a different night. Also parking d/t in the evening is a real PITA!!!!!

One good location we (SW groups use) when not at Expo, is Killkenny, up by UofC. It is big. and even has a couple private rooms.

Jedi Ranger what night does SW have their dinner? We can either work around it or tag-team as a backup plan.

James perfect. :lol: I’ll do a bit of research to see what’s available. Suggestions for food options: go!

Thanks all.

James and BlazedStarbon are in charge of dinner - Jedi Ranger if you can keep an eye on when the SW groups are having theirs and let James and Allayna know, I'd appreciate it. That way they can work around. IF we want to tag, please let me know asap so I can let whoever in the 501st is planning for the 501st, Mercs, RL and Saber Guild.

Viper 466 - thank you for that. I appreciate it. TurboCharizard - I think you mentioned sending in the application so note that it's already been done. Viper 466 - I don't believe we have to register as individuals. I've certainly never had to do that when marching with the 501st in that parade. Buuuuuut......let me just ask around to make sure in case Fan Ex changed something. It would be highly unusual though.

We do have a banner - the standard 405th banner that we sometimes use in the booth. Same one that's used in the DCon parade if you've seen photos. It doesn't have a pole or anything - just the banner. We DO have a few of the 405th flags (like the ones used in the booth at HOD). Perhaps a couple of people could work together and figure out a lightweight way to carry those instead of the banner? Either way, let me know so I know what to bring.

I remember the banner when we first had the booth at Edmonton. We can always whip up some PVC flag poles with toppers maybe?

I'm a bad person...I said I would do this last night but got busy building....

I suppose a question I should have asked is, does this need to be all ages? I didn't even think about that at first....
Anyway, here are some options for now.

If we want to walk, or take very short cabs/ubers...

Things near by:
These are going to mostly just be bars and such as it's downtown.

Vagabond -very close (same street, one block north of the Dome), craft beer, food, sometimes live music - HOME | vagabondcalgary

The Ship and Anchor - really popular downtown pub, also live music - The Ship & Anchor

Bottlescrew Bills/Buzzards - "famous downtown Calgary pub with over 300 different beers " - Best Pub & Bar Calgary - Craft Beer Calgary - Food | Bottlescrew Bills

Restaurants on Stephen Ave (8th Ave downtown, what they call "Calgary’s premiere hospitality and retail destination". City centre pedestrian hub. About 4 blocks north of the grounds and stretches about 10 or so blocks West)

Cactus Club

State and Main

Local 8th Ave - Local Public Eatery

Further out:

Moxies

Earls

There is a Blaze Pizza... I include this because we had it in Anaheim and it was amazing....but I don't think it's really a sit down restaurant

WURST - Wurst :: Home

Original Joe's (there are a couple of locations downtown)

Ducky's - be warned (or excited depending on you), they have karaoke

So a lot of these will probably just be variations on the same theme. If we start going much further out, aka need a ride/more than a $10 uber, there are other options such as:

The Rec Room - For those that don't know, big arcade with a restaurant/drinks. All ages. They even have Halo: Fireteam Raven.
This one is quite a ways away. The Rec Room

If we look south there is a sports bar with pool and mini golf
Schanks - Schanks Sports Grill

Now between our furthest North and furthest South options there are places like Boston Pizza and the like that are options as well.

If XBrav or SpartanProps have ideas or anything I've missed, let me know and I'll add them to this main list to keep everything together.
I'll keep thinking for more too.

Thanks all.

James and BlazedStarbon are in charge of dinner - Jedi Ranger if you can keep an eye on when the SW groups are having theirs and let James and Allayna know, I'd appreciate it. That way they can work around. IF we want to tag, please let me know asap so I can let whoever in the 501st is planning for the 501st, Mercs, RL and Saber Guild.

As usual, we may not know the dinner night till 2 or even 1 week in advance. Fortunately, our 405th group is smaller, so we won't be in such a critical rush to pick a location and date. But the SW groups dinner is usually SATURDAY night, as Sunday is a much slower day and more relaxed.

It's something to plan around. Friday might be a good option to lean towards until we know further concrete info.

As for potential restaurants, we could either create a poll or have everyone list their favourite recommendations here for the time being.

I'll be attending Calgary Expo for the first time this year, so will be going in a purely personal capacity.

More than a few guests I want to get photo ops/autographs with, so want to have the time to do all that.

That being said, I would be definitely be interested in attending a 405th dinner if you folks will have me :)

Would be great to finally meet some of my fellow Canadian regiment members!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back