Carpathia's Halo 3 Odst W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished peping my ODST torso backplate tonight. It was a pretty easy build, but it's going to require some heavy modifications down the road. I think that the size is ok, somebody tell me if it's otherwise. The neck, however, needs to be narrowed and drastically shortened. I'll do this after I resin and fiberglass it so it's easier to work with.
3474226983_5b0923e974.jpg

3474227273_5f8e6094a6.jpg

3474227547_a806349731.jpg

Here it might look a little big, and it may be, but keep in mind that it's not fully comforming to my back at this point.
3475036434_1fd69ce6a0.jpg

Here you can clearly see that the neck needs work.
3474228049_9743e2cb53.jpg

3474228275_72c8b5bafb.jpg

I'm going to be starting the chest plates tonight as well. They're one to two pages for each piece, so they should go very quickly. Stay tuned!

Hey what scale did you use for your torso? Im about 5-8
I had to adjust the coller by trimming it down a couple centimeters. other than that it fits like a glove.

Actually, it's one of the pieces that I left default size, and I'm about 6'1". I'm still going to have to rework the collar. It's way too tall and far too wide. I have trouble looking down as it is, I can imagine what it will be like when I'm wearing a helmet (I can just see it, someone asks me something, I shrug and off pops my helmet). I'm going to completely remove the collar and build one that is closer to the collar on the weta suit (short and close to the neck). That means that I'll probably have to cut the torso in half shoulder-to-shoulder and make a latch system later on. I'm going to save all this until after I have it resined and glassed, though.

Edit: Wow! 1000 views!

I finished my ODST chest plates last night. Figured I'd go ahead and post this update.
3489987945_c8c3564da1.jpg

3489988103_061165339c.jpg

I'm worried that the plates on either side of the center stomach plate are a bit small. I'll determine this when I get the rest of my gear peped, and make a decision as to whether or not I want to repep them before I begin the resining process. The belt and top chest plate buckles are not peped, I'm going to make them later out of either ABS plastic or metal so they can actually function as strap buckles.
3489988247_027fe0575f.jpg

It seems that there are a lot of people making ODST suits now, sweet! I noticed that Adam had a photo shoot with a bunch of people dressed as marines and one guy dressed as a spartan, but NO ODST's! Oh well.

Next step is the back plates and the butt plates. Keep watching!

Everything is looking really good so far.
I waiting to start my ODST. I'm worried about sizes too. I usually measure my body 1st to try and get the right fit the first time bc i hate repepping.
keep up the good work!

PS...what did you scale the torso to? is it just the scale when it opens up 49cm?

what did you scale the torso to? is it just the scale when it opens up 49cm?

Yeah, I think that's what it was at. It's one of the pieces (along with the knees, chest pieces and thighs) I left default size. I'm leaving the back plates default size as well, but they're turning out TINY. I'll see how they look overall though, since they were an easy build (only took about 30 min to do one the other night).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dood, your pretty handy dandy when it comes to pepping :p I gotta say your a quick builder
Clean folds and everything :p what more can you get?
SprayNoob

Bet you all figured this thread dropped off the face of the earth. Actually, I just took a little break from my ODST to pep a Predator mask for my brother's birthday.

Anyway, here are the latest pictures from my ODST suit. I've finished the back plates (shoulder blade areas) and the butt plates.
3529924862_82e1262941.jpg

The pep files for these two pieces are a little screwy. I printed out a left and a right, but ended up with two rights. So, advice for anyone making this suit, make sure that the patterns for these pieces are in fact opposite.
3529112151_66893e23ba.jpg

This part was a pain! The top part was fine, went together nicely, but the bottom part was not so fine. First of all, the pep file has the part modeled inside out, so it's telling you to build it so that the numbers are on the inside. Then, the parts and tabs are TINY. What I ended up doing it essetially building it inside out. Everywhere it told me to score a valley fold, I made a mountain fold, and vice versa.
3529112371_30a282a4ec.jpg

So now I'll be moving on with my hip plates, which should take no time at all. I've already peped the groint plate, but I'll save that for the next update.

And another update. The hip plates went together pretty well tonight.
3530816506_f408bbc050.jpg

3530001373_9284df4ed9.jpg

The groin plate was extremely easy, but I'll have to modify it a bit when I'm bondoing in order to round it out a bit.
3530817340_740d7f1206.jpg

Next, it's on to the gauntlets, then the helmet, then I'm done with peping the ODST!!! There is a light at the end of the pep tunnel, and it is fiberglass resin colored.

you are a pepakura BEAST!!!

This makes me want to speed up my ODST progress so much more. Work faster! I want to see the completed suit in all its glory :).

jareyes said:
you are a pepakura BEAST!!!

This makes me want to speed up my ODST progress so much more. Work faster! I want to see the completed suit in all its glory :).
Agreed. Now I better get moving with peping my ODST as well!

Carpathia, you're a true pepakura master!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments, guys! Here's more picture goodness. I finished pepping my gauntlets. They came out pretty good, but I'm going try to modify them later to make them less boxy-looking and closer to the Weta gauntlets.

3536881805_6c9f101ccd.jpg

3536882077_992878712a.jpg

As you can see in the next two pictures, I had a little trouble with one of the pieces, but the bondo stage will cover that up nicely.

3536882271_f78e1077d6.jpg

3537694842_9e7c1d855e.jpg

Another word of advice, when building the gauntlets, you may notice that they are mis-labeled. The file marked left gauntlet is actually the right gauntlet, and vice versa. This is evident by marking the locations of the add-on pieces to the side of the gauntlet. (Seen in the picture)

3537724984_fde962a18b.jpg

They should be on the outside of the gauntlet, seen in this picture...

3401912941_80f0a924df.jpg

So, pay attention to that when creating your gauntlets. Not that it's a huge deal since they're symmetrical and you could just relabel them even after you build them.

Anyway, I've printed out the pages for my helm. I scaled it up and managed to reorganize the pieces to use less paper than the default layout. Unfortunatly, it will be a few weeks until I can start it since I'm leaving for a vacation on Monday. I'll still be active on the forum, but no working on armor :mad: But it will be nice to relax on the beach for a few weeks.

Enjoy.

Very well done job. You're truly a pep master, I must say. :)
Keep up the good work. I want to see some pics/vids with you running in this armor killing Brutes, man! ^^

Peace.

For all you guys interested in any new ODST armor, be sure to check out the other thread in the noob section. I'm working on some new models for Halo 3: ODST/Recon. Thanks to the unfolding talent of MrOreo, the first model (new ODST shoulder ... very cool looking) are up for download! Once the finished second model (sniper shields) are finished being unfolded, I will make a new thread in the Pepakura forum, so stay posted! I love those peps you have there, very clean. The middle of the shoulders must have taken some time. Good work!

OOPS, I had only seen the shoulders when I posted this. HOLY COW that's a lot of pep you've got done. Kudos to you, my friend, you're a natural at pepping. Now let's see how skilled you are when it come to fiberglassing (hehe)

It feels somewhat redundant to state that your Pep work is some of the cleanest and most precise that I have ever seen. Inspires me to slow down and take more time and care on my own work!

Thanks to everyone for the recent feedback. I know it's been a while since my last update, but I'm finally done with my ODST helmet, and FINALLY finished pepping the ODST suit!!! Here are a few pics of the helm.

3618798516_f22c8ff582.jpg

3618798702_5b2475d565.jpg

3618798920_130813a597.jpg

3617978083_591c8ac9ea.jpg

And here are a couple pics of how it fits me.

3617978417_c387bb62a9.jpg

3618799740_75a078b208.jpg

While I was pepping it, I thought the helm was going to be too big. It seemed huge, but it fits ok on my head, so, good.

Anyway, now I have to gather up the supplies I need to fiberglass resin and bondo the parts. I'll start with the knees since I have no experience with fiberglassing and the knees were by far the simplest to pep. It may be a while before I get anywhere since I have to get a job and save up some money before I can get the supplies, but I should start work on Monday. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back