Chiefwannabe's free-hand odst build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Im sorry to say but this build has been on hold this week and will be for the next 1-2 weeks because of school:cry::)thumbsdown:facepalm I have 4 assessments due in one week( jeez my teachers must hate me) This is entirely out of my control and if I had a say then I would most definitely finish the build, But when I started this hobby I promised that school and study would come first.

In other, less depressing news, I discovered a new product. Plastikote. this is similar to plasti-dip but a lot cheaper, and i mean A LOT cheaper. Plasti-dip = $30 plastikote =$7. I know right!!!
So anyway Im not sure that it will work but I have a good feeling about it. I will probably try it once the build gets going again and my teachers stop being so MEAN!!!! ( they're actually really nice people once you meet them, but Its kind hard to like someone when they give you a huge assesment to do in one week:thumbsdown[ Im glad I got that out:thumbsup])

Anyway thanks guys for your continued support and tips!

IMG_5086.JPG

IM BACK BABY!! YEAH! lol Anyway im back but progress continues to be slow. I have tested the Plastikote and its is TERRIBLE!!:(:facepalm:thumbsdown it did the one thing it was meant to prevent and it started cracking. Oh well you live and you learn, but its an ok spray paint!? anyway life has calmed down just enough to let me finish this thing so I will be getting some more plastidip sometime in the coming week and I will finish the painting.

I will have more updates on the way!

"I love It when Im trying to mod a boomco magnum and i finally take it apart and I start to paint it and it starts raining in the middle of drying" SAID NO ONE EVER!!!!
I FINALY cracked open the blaster, modded it, then prepped it for painting and it starts raining on my pieces!!!
IMG_5104.JPG
I also managed to brake some of the pins and things and i tried to glue them back on with some model glue but it isn't strong enough to hold so i tried using some model putty to reinforce the pins but i don't think it gonna work. Anyone have any suggestions ?
IMG_5105.JPGIMG_5106.JPGIMG_5107.JPG
In less depressing news I got a little work done on the shoulder pieces. I added a strap to the back to put in my arm so now i have much more range of motion. It also makes them a lot lighter
IMG_5108.JPGIMG_5109.JPGIMG_5110.JPG

Thanks guys! Also anyone going to Supanova Sydney?? Ill be there so don't forget to say hi!

Ok I fixed the magnum and the putty seems to be working but i will continue to let it dry. I have also done some of the straps on the chest piece. I have been looking at my chest plate constantly and thinking its still too small and wonky and uneven in some places. I think I will give it one more go Because i have less than a MONTH until Supanova Sydney!!! Ill post photos tomorrow afternoon when I have time But until then I will keep you updated !!

Looking good Chief.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Awesome to see the progress! Loving the paint job!

This is such a cool build.

I like reading freehand threads, they always impress me... And will me on!

Looking good Chief.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Amazing armour! Definitely using it as reference for my own set

Thank you all so much guys it means a lot !! Sorry I couldn't get to you sooner:facepalm

Ok Ive started moving in the right direction again. I got some more plasti-dip on the weekend and I plasti-diped the shins

I will do the rest tomorrow
I also finished my magnum mod! I still need to do some touch ups and clear coat the thing but its looking sweet!! also the model putty didn't work on the front of the slide so (after about five minutes of staring at it with my mouth open in disgust that it didn't work!!!) I decided that it wasn't at all necessary for it to still be able to fire! Probably one more day and it will be done!!

Also, earlier in the thread I asked about a visor and [h=4]Mesh replied with a pre-made one. well turns out that that won't work because it was made to fit a certain helmet and not mine. thank you anyway mesh![/h]So me and my dad have been brainstorming ways to get this stupid visor done! we came up with a protective face shield covered in cellophane but the shield was to small so I used it on my mando. We had a lot more cellophane left over so my dad thought we could laminate that so we had one slightly rigid but still flexible piece of transparent blue plastic. Now that we look at it we see that its covered in small bubbles and it to easy to see into:cry:facepalm Oh well it worked in theory!
IMG_6816.jpgIMG_6818.jpgIMG_6817.jpgIMG_6816.jpg
So now I come back to you guys asking for support! (again) Im definitely thinking of doing something that CommanderPalmer did on her visor but it has to be shipped quickly as I have less then 10 DAYS TO GET THIS DONE!!!!

Thanks guys again for all your comments! and advice!

IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a YouTube video (I'll see if I can find it) where someone used a spray-on mirror finish on a flexible piece of plastic. Might that work?

Edit

Here it is. At 3:39 he talks about his ODST.

There is a YouTube video (I'll see if I can find it) where someone used a spray-on mirror finish on a flexible piece of plastic. Might that work?

Edit

Here it is. At 3:39 he talks about his ODST.

Thanks man!! this might be the way to go!! Ill have to do some research (Aww I do enough of it at school!:thumbsdown )

It's looking great man :D
Those visors I linked do have a bit of give, they will expand outwards a bit :p
If you can't get a Visor in time, at least try to get a Cap or Beret, specifically an Airbourne trooper beret ;D

Also anther great Idea Mesh That would be pretty cool, but who wants to see MY face at supanova!
:lol

You could try window tint film. Check out Nusolis. This is the cheapest I have found but the shipping is what costs the most. They carry several colors and sizes per roll. Once you have your visor, you put this on it to give you the color you want.....

Thanks Dirtdives! Now that in a rush for Supanova Im probably going to go for the easiest to use and that seems to be the spray that
Jme suggested . But I will definitely have this as a backup plan!

I have the best Dad in the world! I had to go out yesterday for a family event and when I got home there was spray paint, PVC pipe and the mirror finish spray paint that Jme suggested!! ( I will paid him back...soon)

So without wasting time I started painting and testing! I cut up the PVC to create the barrels and flash suppressor of the Assault Rifle and I also started plasti-diping that. I also tested the mirror stuff on a clear document folder thingy.
IMG_6832.jpgIMG_6833.jpgIMG_6834.jpgIMG_6835.jpg

And on Friday I Painted the rest of the armor segments!
IMG_6836.jpgIMG_6837.jpgIMG_6838.jpgIMG_6839.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6841.jpgIMG_6841.jpg

I also finished the magnum, still needs a clear coat though.
IMG_6846.jpgIMG_6847.jpg

And one more final inspirational shot!
IMG_6845.jpg

ITS ALMOST DONE!!!!

Thanks guys!

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

Your dad is great. :D

Love your attention to detail - everywhere, on the gauntlets,shins... everywhere.

Sexy magnum. ;)

Haha, good try!

Looks awesome chief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back