Complete Noob List

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the gsm cos I cant afford to be buying card stock from America when we might have the same in the UK. I saw a 22gsm card i think or 250gsm. would that do for the pepakura?

What is the gsm cos I cant afford to be buying card stock from America when we might have the same in the UK. I saw a 22gsm card i think or 250gsm. would that do for the pepakura?

Don't import stuff from the US, you can get everything in the EU or even in the UK. Just the names and prices will differ.

You need paper/cardstock with 200 g/m². 220 should also work, but 250 is too heavy. Those sheets provide great stability, but are useless for anything with fine details, simply becuase they're too thick.

ah thanks muchly. Will go have a look, i think it may have been 225 or summat. Anyway will have a look. just hope the local library printer can manage thick card lol

So i printed off the pepakura to photocopy to the card (220 gsm) but its coming off the page. How do i go about pushing it more over and also do the pieces have to be bigger?

So i printed off the pepakura to photocopy to the card (220 gsm) but its coming off the page. How do i go about pushing it more over and also do the pieces have to be bigger?

Set the paper size to what you're using (in Pepakura Designer, not only in the printing dialogue). You can also split and merge pieces, move them around and turn them. Don't forget scaling them before printing.

And you should head to the appropriate "Help!"-Thread to ask such questions, this thread is about the shopping list in post #1.

There's a good video tutroial on the basics of Pepakura here: http://soaringhammerincorporatedproductions.com/wp/?page_id=472 along with a lot of other good stuff.

I'm a bit jealous of you Americans, you guys have got a handy wal-mart to get everything at. We Aussies have to travel to a few different stores, but I think Bunnings normally has most of what we need.

Dude, This is a righteous thread and it has helped my son and I. Our first project, MK VI helmet, is going well. Pep is done and ready for resin. I was righting this stuff down from all the videos. It is great that you have it all in one place. I use a drywall putty knife to help with making the creases, bending the card stock for us with fat fingers. Awesome job.

Thanks great post for noobs like me

This is an awesome post and all noobs should be directed here first (along with scaling).
I started my mark VI pep build about a month and a half ago. I've currently completed most of the pieces with only a few scaling problems I worked out (thanks to the scaling thread). I've purchased quite a few under armor accessories, visors, gloves, body suit, boot covers and resin, bondo and fiberglass mesh. I was glad to see pictures of the buckles, belt and strapping, they really help.

Thanks Again.

a friend of mine who is working on this with me and I are having a disagreement. I feel we should follow the materials listed here (for the actual armor) which are tried and true. He is saying cardboard and bondo only. Advice?

a friend of mine who is working on this with me and I are having a disagreement. I feel we should follow the materials listed here (for the actual armor) which are tried and true. He is saying cardboard and bondo only. Advice?

There's no way you are going to get pure Bondo onto the cardboard without warping it.

You don't have to use the materials listed here, feel free to find alternative products or a completely different way to do it - just make sure it works and tell us how it went either way :)

thanks for this brilliant list!! though I'm not really sure of the translation of some of these in french :/. If anybody knows what Bondo is in french, it would be greatly appreciated
Still, great post!

thanks for this brilliant list!! though I'm not really sure of the translation of some of these in french :/. If anybody knows what Bondo is in french, it would be greatly appreciated
Still, great post!

Bondo is a 3M brand of automotive body filler so you likely won't find a direct translation. Most North American hardware stores carry it but in Europe it may be a bit harder to come across. Check to see if you have Isopon or U-Pol at a store local to you.

Also since you're new to the forums you may not have noticed but this thread hasn't been touched in about eight years. Best practice is to let old threads stay buried unless you have some really valuable information to revive the thread. This keeps all the current information more visible. There's a few good Bondo tutorials in the Pepakura Build Sticky Index if you need some help with your build!

Bondo is a 3M brand of automotive body filler so you likely won't find a direct translation. Most North American hardware stores carry it but in Europe it may be a bit harder to come across. Check to see if you have Isopon or U-Pol at a store local to you.

Also since you're new to the forums you may not have noticed but this thread hasn't been touched in about eight years. Best practice is to let old threads stay buried unless you have some really valuable information to revive the thread. This keeps all the current information more visible. There's a few good Bondo tutorials in the Pepakura Build Sticky Index if you need some help with your build!

Thanks for these informations, and you're right, I didn't check the date, I should have. Still though, thank you all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back