Cortana Costume by Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there
I'm fairly new here..
But just want to say, thank you so much for making this step by step !!
It is so crazy, that you made that with not a lot of reference picture. ( At least I can use screen shoot of the game play footage)
I cant wait to get started on mine, but am unsure of the level of detail to put into it ...
she has the circuit board pattern all over her body. I think I would pass out if I had to go into that fine detail... but half of me wants to XD

Sorry, I am rambling, anyways just wanted to say thank you, and you are so awesome!
Oh just a few questions actually!
A) did your fabric paint ever alter the stretch of the fabric ? ( make it more stiff)
B) did the paint crack at all?
C) if you had to do it again would there be anything you would change ?

Hi there
I'm fairly new here..
But just want to say, thank you so much for making this step by step !!
It is so crazy, that you made that with not a lot of reference picture. ( At least I can use screen shoot of the game play footage)
I cant wait to get started on mine, but am unsure of the level of detail to put into it ...
she has the circuit board pattern all over her body. I think I would pass out if I had to go into that fine detail... but half of me wants to XD

Sorry, I am rambling, anyways just wanted to say thank you, and you are so awesome!
Oh just a few questions actually!
A) did your fabric paint ever alter the stretch of the fabric ? ( make it more stiff)
B) did the paint crack at all?
C) if you had to do it again would there be anything you would change ?

Hello! Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your comment, a lot of love and tears went into making that costume. I am really happy with how it turned out. I know what you mean about wanting to add the circuit board detail. I was tempted to try myself, but I'm too much of a perfectionist, I was worried I'd hate the way it looks if I tried. My advice to you is to focus on the big details first and see how you feel after you have completed that part. If it was easy for you and you feel brave enough to add more detail, then go for it. Use a scrap piece of fabric to test it out and see if you like the look.

As for you questions:
A) The fabric paint I used does become stiff, but it doesn't crack which is what I like. You don’t really notice the stiffness once the costume is on, it just makes it a bit tougher to put the tight parts on such as the arms and legs. Make sure to avoid painting the zipper. It makes it difficult to zip up and down.

B) If you use actual fabric paint, it shouldn't crack. Before I started painting, I bought about 20 different types of paint (different brands, and different colors) to test on scrap fabric before I picked the ones to use. I found that if you buy an acrylic paint that says it works on fabric as well, it cracks. Sticking to a paint that is specific for fabric gives a better result. When you test the paint, make sure to test on a fabric that is similar to what the costume is made of.

C) If I did it again, I think I would use a manikin or a newspaper/duct tape dummy. It was really hard to paint the design without seeing it on a figure. It was also hard to take the costume on and off of myself after I had put tape on it to mark the areas to paint (the tape often moved or had wrinkles). If I had the costume on a figure which matched my dimensions, I think I would have had an easier time to paint it.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your costume and feel free to ask me more questions.

I went to San Diego Comic Con last month with my Cortana costume and had some great shots taken with the other 405th members.

Debshot-3.jpg

P7180023-e1375380104498.jpg

P7180024-e1375380272297.jpg

After-Panel-3-e1375380160934.jpg

cortana.jpg

After-Panel-2.jpg

This is cool! looks like you had fun once it was done! What is the name/make of the blue lenses you are wearing? i need some to go with my carter suit :D

This is cool! looks like you had fun once it was done! What is the name/make of the blue lenses you are wearing? i need some to go with my carter suit :D

I got the lenses online from this place YouKnowIt.com, they are the Wizard Contact Lenses, but the store has a wide selection of colored lenses.

without it becoming a discussion in this thread that takes away from the amazing-ness that is this costume. I will only rebutle to ODST-TJ92 we are led to assume this. but She is a computer program. in its most basic level.

Does it feel bad to know that Cortana died at the end of Halo 4? :(

I think she'll be back. My guess is part of her fractured off and stayed with the Didact when he disappeared. She can't be dead damn it! I put too much work into that costume. :p

The picture of you two back to back.

When I first saw this pic, the first thing that came to mind was "Flawless Victory!" Amazing, you two look amazing together! I could only be so lucky to some have a cortana for a wife ;)

Thank you! That picture is still one of my favorite shot in this costume.

I dressed as Cortana for this year's San Diego Comic Con as well and had an opportunity to be featured in one of Gamespot's videos during our 405th photoshoot. It almost beats that picture in awesomeness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back