Cortana Data Storage Unit aka the Package [Reach]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sik1276

I don't believe that anyone has done this yet, but I really wanted to do this for quite some time. This is a build of the Reach Data Storage Unit from Satchmo III's model topic. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III)

Reach_package__Satchmo_III__pe.jpg

*picture from Satchmo III*

I plan to keep things separate with the intention of assembling it all together in the end for ease of building. During the pep build, I've left some details out so that I can add them later using foamies and I left the inside open so that I could be able to fill it in.

img_0050.jpg

I plan for this to be a cheap build, I'm building this as a display piece not a prop for me to handle or lug around my back. So from my research I plan to use Durham's Rock-Hard Water Putty.

a64734a12ed07c13daea9e_m.JPG

I bought a 4lb can of this for about $7 from Home Depot, they didn't sell the 1lb can that I was looking for. I've mostly seen this used as a coat for rigid foam scupltures and props and foam wings for remote control planes (I'm not saying that this is an alternative as a coating for your flexible foam armor, this isn't flexible.) From what I gathered from my research, this is like a more tougher, stronger type of plaster and has properties similar to soft wood. It really appealed to me on the basis that I only need a dust respirator. It contains no volatile organic vapors. More information here: http://www.waterputty.com/

As for the middle part of the Package, I'll be using these really solid plastic straws I found at a dollar store. I also ordered a Cortana Shell from thatdecade that I plan to put in the middle of the cylinder which I think I'll be going to Tap Plastics to acquire.

The only problem I have to work out is how I would be able to get the chip in and out easily. My thoughts were either have a flap in the cylinder which I can open to put in the cylinder, or to find something that would let me disconnect the rods from one half of the Package which then I can just place the Cortana chip. Any thoughts on this?

Wow this is an interesting build I have never seen this built and it will bean interesting thing to see built and finished I can’t wait to see it complete

Last edited by a moderator:
Update.

I just started using the water putty on the two cylindrical parts that are on the inside. Waiting on them to harden. One of the drops I left currently has the consistency of chocolate mousse after 10 minutes [doesn't help that it looks like coffee ice cream lol] After another 10 minutes they should harden just enough that I'll be able to smooth the bumps.

img_0051.jpg

You sir have inspired me to go to my local Home Depot and try out some Durhams putty!

You sir have inspired me to go to my local Home Depot and try out some Durhams putty!
Thanks!

A little experience I had while removing the aluminum foil that was coated with the Water Putty, it cracked fairly easily. Granted I handled it way before it could fully harden. I decided to go through more random topics and posts for those that may want to think about coating their foam weapons or anything with a flat surface. People say for those type of applications, you should mix wood glue with the putty instead of water for a more harder and durable mix.

http://www.tnairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21018
This is someone's application of this mixture of 50/50 wood glue and Durham's Water Putty which they dubbed "poor man's bondo" for an airsoft gun.

Looks good man. This isnt the first ai transporter build i've seen but it is the firs using the pep file. Kudos. Looks like ur doig great so far keep it up.

Keanu/ runcornstuntman

Looks good man. This isnt the first ai transporter build i've seen but it is the firs using the pep file. Kudos. Looks like ur doig great so far keep it up.

Keanu/ runcornstuntman

Really? Can you link it please or reference if you do remember where it's at/from? I would love to see it.

EDIT: turns out that Satchmo is building his own on his Noble Six build log.

EDIT: Strength test of Water Putty compared to AutoBody filler. Water putty will crack easily in a thin layer. I squeezed the cup I used for mixing. Managed to pop out all the bits out and have a clean cup again.
http://www.panzer-war.com/page18.html

Another Update: Filled every part next part will be sanding and smoothing. I also went out to Tap plastics and bought a 2 in diameter tube for the middle for $3 that should suit my purpose.

img_0065.jpg

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36520-Halo-Reach-AI-Transfer-Case-aka-quot-The-Package-quot

Try that. Its by jedi ranger. He built his by sight im pretty sure. Good luck man

Oh wow that is just plain awesome. I wasn't expecting plastic cups at all XD but it makes sense. and my cylinder isn't the tough polycarbonate but a more flexible one. I might havve to make it be able to diffuse. When I was pepping the parts, there was something on my mind about how similar the shape was and sure enough the end parts is the same size and shape of a soda can :p

Looks like a really interesting build. Because it'll be more of a show piece do you think that you'll add maybe a blue led and a switch where the data chip would be for when you want to show it off? Could be an interesting way to make a bed-side lamp =D

Looks like a really interesting build. Because it'll be more of a show piece do you think that you'll add maybe a blue led and a switch where the data chip would be for when you want to show it off? Could be an interesting way to make a bed-side lamp =D

That would be a really good idea
:)

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a suspended data chip in the middle like those globes that have the base with the two magnets in it with the globe suspended between them. That with the glow of the blue light would be cool as a static prop on the shelf.

Thanks guys. I do have a custom Cortana chip courtesy of thelastdecade here on the 405th. Right now I'm in the slow process of sanding. I still haven't figured out how to make it so that I can remove the cortana chip in and out of the middle with ease but right now I'm leaning towards making a flap in the cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back