'Crudd's MK VI Progress thread ~ 45%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thacrudd

To recap from my introduction thread - I'm building a MK VI suit to help advertise me and my wife's video game store in Pigeon Forge, TN (FB page in my sig). I will be wearing it usually on Fridays out by the road, flagging tourists in as they make their way into town.

I used RoboGenesis' Low definition files. After building the thighs, I noticed the thighs in that set do not include the inner pieces that extend completely up, so I printed and pepped those inner thigh pieces from the HD pack and made them fit onto my existing LD thighs.

I am 5ft 11in, 150lb, and of slender build and I used a scale of 75 on the Robogenesis LD pack. Since registration was disabled up until a couple days ago, I only snapped a couple pics of the work already done but since I am now registered and can start a log, here we go!

Here are the pepped pieces curing from the outer resin coat.

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Prior to last night, I had gotten the fiberglass on the inside of all the pieces, with the exception of a couple pieces that were not completely done. The ones that were done, I went back through and added reinforcement to different parts, especially the edges(very important to do this or your suit will crack over time). Last night I spent the evening trying to finish up the fiberglass on all the pieces.

I'm going to show you how I fiberglass. I'm not going to say it is the right way or the only way, but it's MY way and it works pretty well.

Cut your fiberglass into different sized squared and strips and lay them out. Get a decent set of tweezers handy.

IMAG0192.jpg

after you get your resin mixed, (I use about 30ish drops of hardener in a cup this size that comes on the top of the 1gal jug of resin) use your tweezers to drop a square into it. Dab it a little into the resin. You don't have to soak it, just get some on one side.
IMAG0193.jpg

pick it up with the tweezers and put it into place on your piece. Do this with a bunch of different sized pieces for where you are putting them. This is a shot of the inside of the chest/back piece
IMAG0195.jpg

Once you have them in place, put some resin on your brush a DAB it on until the fiberglass is saturated. Dab it until you do not see any more white strands. Don't brush it on as you risk moving your piece around. This is the inside edge of a gauntlet I just got done dabbing.
IMAG0191.jpg

I also had some pieces of the armor that needed fixing where the pepped piece had got a little misshapen from the resin and fiberflass. One side of the codpiece stuck out too far so I taped it into position and added fiberglass on the back to put it where I wanted it.
IMAG0190.jpg

A bunch of pieces waiting for the fiberglass to cure

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

This pretty much all continued from about 6:00 to 9:30 at night. As you can see in some of the pictures I already had bondo work on some of the pieces. It was working on those that I realy realized how much more I had to reinforce the edges and some other parts.

Do yourself a favor noobs! Take your time on your pep. reinforce it wherever you can and check and double check that the pieces and in the right same and they match!
I regret not spending more time on my pep as a few extra hours of gluing paper is much easier than extra hours of sanding and bondo work.

Upon working on the gauntlets, I noticed a mistake I had made. One of the pepped Pieces I had made had a part on it that was supposed to stick out rather than stick in. Things like this happen when you hurry through your pep.

I taped off the offending piece and got it ready to add a healthy heap of bondo to properly form the piece in question.
IMAG0197.jpg

Once the bondo just begins to harden, it gets rubbery. Use that time frame to your advantage and take a razer to it. You can shape the bondo to your liking much easier than sanding it when it is rock hard. Using an assortment of razers, bondo scrapers, planers, and rasps, you can do some really detailed work during this time frame (just take a look at CEREAL's WORKLOG). The important thing is to work in somewhat small quantities. If you work with too much at a time, it may harden too quickly and you will lose this window.

Here I am shaping the glob into this piece I carelessly messed up..
IMAG0198.jpg

Next up on the list will be putting just a few more pieces of fiberglass in the chest piece and more bondo work. Yay! If you have any questions, by all means ask away.

NICE work. But if I may offer a bit of advice... On your helm, I might recommend you leave your pepped visor so as to avoid any subtle warping and other distortions. Lol, also you have a VERY colorful build so far! Your lines seem nice and clean so kudos. Keep it up man, and you'll have your own armor.

Nice work so far. I hate to break it to you, but that piece that you "fixed" is actually supposed to be sticking IN rather than out. You had it right in the right forearm, the left one (with the vent sticking out) is incorrect. Unfortunately, it seems you did some un-needed Bondo work. It happens though, keep it up! :)

more bondo and fiberglass

NICE work. But if I may offer a bit of advice... On your helm, I might recommend you leave your pepped visor so as to avoid any subtle warping and other distortions. Lol, also you have a VERY colorful build so far! Your lines seem nice and clean so kudos. Keep it up man, and you'll have your own armor.

Thanks! The colors are from the 110lb cardstock. I though I could get away with only buying the 100 sheet pack (which happened to be multi colored), but I was wrong. If I could do it again, I would just go ahead and buy the 250 sheet pack which was only $5 more. As for the visor, I cut it out after I had a good layer of fiberglass and resin on the inside but you are right, I could have left it on just in case

Nice work so far. I hate to break it to you, but that piece that you "fixed" is actually supposed to be sticking IN rather than out. You had it right in the right forearm, the left one (with the vent sticking out) is incorrect. Unfortunately, it seems you did some un-needed Bondo work. It happens though, keep it up!

Oh no! I guess I should have cut and indented the other one! Oh well. I spent part of last night shaping it up so I guess it's there to stay. With the Low-Def nature of the pieces I planned on adding my own artistic design to the details after I get the base layers on. I hope I can make it work as I don't really fancy doing it again. Thanks for the heads up!

So last night, most of my work was on finishing the last little pieces of fiberglass for the torso, patching holes and re-working different parts of the build.

Here was what I had when I started
IMAG0199.jpg

The lower leg
IMAG0200.jpg

Codpiece
IMAG0201.jpg

Forarms, which had multiple parts that did not match due to again, not paying attention when I was pepping or resining. Some of the mismatched areas could have been avoided by bracing and bending in the proper areas. Check and double check before you resin, people!
IMAG0202.jpg

The Buttplate
IMAG0203.jpg

and the lonely helmet, which isn't getting much love at the moment. It looks pretty rough right now But soon I will work my bondo magic and all will be good.
IMAG0204.jpg

After a couple patches of bondo to fill some holes, I finished sanding the buttplate down until I was happy with the shape. I then took some spot/filler putty and filled in the cracks. I've left it to dry and will hit it with 400 grit sometime later.
IMAG0205.jpg

Now to more shaping with the forearms. Shaping bondo is so much easier with the right tools. Here's what I use, the razers, planers, scrapers, and rasps I described in the previous post.
IMAG0206.jpg

A little more bondo to another problem area
IMAG0207.jpg

While sanding the hadndplates, one of them was weak along the edge and I broke through a little. I had to mix up a little more fiberglass and reinforce it. Once it hardens I will trim the excess and re-bondo the area. I put some superglue on the paper that was showing to harden it up as well.

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

I managed to make a crack in one of the forearms while sanding it, resulting in another patch of fiberglass reinforcement That I missed
IMAG0213.jpg

I also managed to get some bondo patching done on the codpiece and the left shin

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

To finish up the night, I got one of the forearms spot putty'd. Just another step closer to the detailing stage.
IMAG0214.jpg

My plans are to get the base coat of bondo on each piece down and sanded. After doing so, I will go back to each piece and start adding details with more bondo, giving the pieces personality. Sometimes I really wish I had just done the High-Def pep. On the other hand, having the low def pep is going to give me much more freedom in the detailing stage to really do whatever design I want and give it my own custom look while still being able to tell exactly what it is. I am painting it the traditional master chief green so I'm sure people will have no problem identifying it.

Tonight's plan is to get the hand plates, the other forearm, and the other shin done enough to spot putty.

Oh no! I guess I should have cut and indented the other one! Oh well. I spent part of last night shaping it up so I guess it's there to stay. With the Low-Def nature of the pieces I planned on adding my own artistic design to the details after I get the base layers on. I hope I can make it work as I don't really fancy doing it again. Thanks for the heads up!

It's not that big of a deal. I'm sure no one will notice, and anyway, it makes your armor unique. I just thought I'd point it out for future reference.

Also, from some of the first photos, the handguards seems quite large comparing them to other armor piece. If you'd like, post a photo of you "wearing" a handguard on the back of your hand and we can advise on the size before you put too much work into them.

I like your mix of progess pictures and tutorial. keep up the good work

Thanks! I like to show what I know and learn along the way.

It's not that big of a deal. I'm sure no one will notice, and anyway, it makes your armor unique. I just thought I'd point it out for future reference.

Also, from some of the first photos, the handguards seems quite large comparing them to other armor piece. If you'd like, post a photo of you "wearing" a handguard on the back of your hand and we can advise on the size before you put too much work into them.

I think you may be right. What do you think?
IMAG0216.jpg

So last night didn't go as planned at all and Murphy's Law decided to wreak havok on a couple things.

I decided to switch gears and start trimming the fiberglass from the edges of all the pieces and clean up any drips that were on them. I couldn't get many pictures of the progress because my phone battery died. Here are a couple of the thighs and chest piece that I did photograph after I got a little charge.
IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

Then, as I was on the chest piece, my Dremel tool died! Coming from a computer case modding background to begin with, being without a working dremel tool in my possession is like taking a pipe from a crackhead! I think it may still be under warranty so we will see.
IMAG0215.jpg

I decided to move on to putting bondo on a couple pieces. Here is a bicep just after applying bondo to it
IMAG0220.jpg

Here it is after working it while the bondo is still rubbery. Taking out the really high and out of place stuff while it is rubbery will save you tons of sanding later.

IMAG0221.jpg

and one of the thigh pieces
IMAG0222.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get more pics guys! Hopefully tonight will be better. I plan on picking up a cheapo Dremol today to carry me though until I get a new Dremol or the one I have fixed.

Tonight's plan is to touch up some fiberglass, sand the filler putty off the buttplate and bracer, as well as finish coating the thighs and biceps in bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back