Cujo's ODST Armor Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are kind and gracious Sir Hugh...

I appreciate the kind words... I still need to complete the back wrap around portion on the
boot covers... will get to that after X-mas... Then will start looking at the back portion of
the shins and getting that mocked up and working in the foam.

Was at Jo-Anne Fabricks last evening and found a variety of quick click plastic buckles. They even had some in different colors.
I picked up several sets for the shin straps... and will look at others when I get to that point in the build....

Thanks for everything everyone!

Cujo3131

Ok... so what does a teacher do on New Years Eve.... goes and builds armor... What else?

Hahahahaha.... I spent some time last night in the woodlab working on my chest armor for my ODST build....Now I used Hugh's wonderful Chest core pep file as the base for this build... and would also like to give Rino credit for some of the layout as well... I used his foam method in my construction.....

chest_front.jpg

Now I am a a little bigger boy (think I mentioned that before)... so I had to add a extend piece under the arms... no biggy... I also added two butterfly buckles here on both sides... This will allow me to adjust the fit of the armor depending on what I wear underneath... I liked how that part turned out....

chest_back2.jpg

The back section took a bit of work... after scaling this it wouldn't fit on the foam mat so I had to cut it into sections and work it back together. You can also see my shoulder pattern pinned onto the armor... still have to finish those pieces ....

Will get that done this afternoon while watching Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and will try to post some more pics this evening....

Thanks for following along folks!

Happy New Years!

Cujo3131

Thanks Roadkill!

We are doing our best here.... at some point I'll make some real progress on this build! hahahahahaha

Cujo3131

Everything is looking great Cujo!
And tmccary, Idk if my opinion matters b/c Im a noob but Id say it should be moved! :D

Keep up the awesome work cujo :)

Great job Cujo!

Rino did a great job with the patterns for the chest core. It seems like a very streamlined idea that others can use.

I was thinking the exact same thing for the adjustable buckles and straps on the sides. Did you just use hot glue to attach them or something stronger?

Great job Cujo!

Rino did a great job with the patterns for the chest core. It seems like a very streamlined idea that others can use.

I was thinking the exact same thing for the adjustable buckles and straps on the sides. Did you just use hot glue to attach them or something stronger?

thank you Hugh and all... I really appreciate it!

I went back to the shop tonight to work.... and I got a little bit done....
and here is me.... no laughter please :cool

chest_front2.jpg

On the front, I got the shoulder strap sections finished and I added webbing over the grooves....

chest_back3.jpg

On the back... you can see the rest of the strap plates on the shoulders... you can also see the buckle hanging on my shoulder... that is where I will buckle in my shoulder pads...

The white foam in the kidney area was to reinforce the foam in that area and hide the extensions I had to add.

.... and yes... there is a star in the back... a little homage to my favorite team....

One other deviation from Rino's design... you'll notice the the neck guard in the back. it does not appear in Hugh's pep file or Rino's design... but it seemed fitting to me... so there you have it ;)

Let me know what you think....

Hugh, I'll get you pics of how I hot glued in the straps a little later... and I will also post up pics tomorrow with the shoulder pads attached...

Have a good evening all!

Cujo3131

I like da star, i found a four leaf clover in mah yard, so ima laminate it and put it up on my ODST helmet.

Thanks Toa...

Most won't see the star... after I complete my version of Mickey's Comm backpack... But I'll know it's there...

:cool

Cujo3131

Strap update

I said last night that I would post up images for Hugh on how I did the straps...

Hugh,

Here is a pic of the straps hotglued down... and they are WELL glued!
Below that is a diagram of how I put the straps together....

straps.jpg

I used a piece of 1/4" foam over the straps to reinforce the anchor point
of the straps. The ends of the strap... I glued one set down... and folded the other set over the foam and glued that down... I did something similar on the other side
although I had to thread the 1" webbing through the buckles instead of just looping.

Make sure that before you do this setup that you take in to account the length of the buckles... if your foam meets up without them... you might have to trim down the ends of the foam... otherwise when you pulls them tight... it will still be loose... ;)

I had to rework mine 3 times :D :D :D :p :cool

Cujo3131

Fantastic Implement on those straps Cujo. If you don't mind I think I'm going to use that idea. When I post it I'll be sure to Site ya...
Nice to see a larger builder besides bean poles, lol.

I am definatly going to do this when i add all the straps on the armor. That way I can put it on by myself. Normally it takes someone else to put on my chestpiece and shoulders.

Great looking build thus far Cujo. Lots of great ideas and inovation, that may find their way into my current ODST build... ;) Looking forward to seeing this project move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back