Custom Halo 4 Armour Build+Lightrifle+Magnum [Commander Button Fox now a musical!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok have managed to get a handplate finished.

HandplateProgress3_zps621ef455.jpg

HandplatePose3_zpsd144a440.jpg

HandplatePose2_zpsf83fbe73.jpg

Was about half way through the second when all of a sudden my hot glue gun blew up.
There was a bang, a large burst of flame, while the lights went out at the same time.

IMG_1587_zpsb73c7987.jpg

So with that happening I am calling it a night...

Attachments

• HandplateProgress3_zps621ef455.jpg
    HandplateProgress3_zps621ef455.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 193
  • HandplatePose3_zpsd144a440.jpg
    HandplatePose3_zpsd144a440.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1587_zpsb73c7987.jpg
    IMG_1587_zpsb73c7987.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 182
  • HandplatePose2_zpsf83fbe73.jpg
    HandplatePose2_zpsf83fbe73.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 187
Ok have managed to get a handplate finished.

HandplateProgress3.jpg

HandplatePose3.jpg

HandplatePose2.jpg

Was about half way through the second when all of a sudden my hot glue gun blew up.
There was a bang, a large burst of flame, while the lights went out at the same time.

IMG_1587.jpg

So with that happening I am calling it a night...
That's a nice hand plate!
My glue gun did the same thing when I was making my suit last year! Scared the bajeezus out of me lol

Attachments

• HandplateProgress3.jpg
    HandplateProgress3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 200
  • HandplatePose2.jpg
    HandplatePose2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 184
  • HandplatePose3.jpg
    HandplatePose3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 170
That's a nice hand plate!
My glue gun did the same thing when I was making my suit last year! Scared the bajeezus out of me lol

Scared me to death too :p

Ok finally managed to create a video for the lightrifle electronics and upload it.
Apologies if the quality isn't all that good.

After making the video I realised that I didn't mention where the chip board, speaker, batteries are going.
They are all being put into the back part of the gun, but I plan to leave an area to be able to replace the batteries easily.

Now to begin making the plastic pieces and attach the electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
scared me to death too :p

ok finally managed to create a video for the lightrifle electronics and upload it.
Apologies if the quality isn't all that good.

after making the video i realised that i didn't mention where the chip board, speaker, batteries are going.
They are all being put into the back part of the gun, but i plan to leave an area to be able to replace the batteries easily.

Now to begin making the plastic pieces and attach the electronics.

very very nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG that is awesome! You have a lot of work ahead of you, but when it is done.... just wow!

Very Nice

Hey man this is just a thought but you may really like these \/

DSC01747_zps1db69fab.jpg

DSC01748_zps52092fae.jpg

19584a4c-80e8-4b2c-b6d7-5695c258d98f_300_zps59a7421a.jpg

They are called mad grip thunderdome gloves, I got these for 15 dollars on amazon.

Attachments

• DSC01747_zps1db69fab.jpg
    DSC01747_zps1db69fab.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01748_zps52092fae.jpg
    DSC01748_zps52092fae.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 19584a4c-80e8-4b2c-b6d7-5695c258d98f_300_zps59a7421a.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 178
very very nice :)

Thanks man :)

OMG that is awesome! You have a lot of work ahead of you, but when it is done.... just wow!

I know, but I plan to see it through to the end :)
Only 31 days left to finish it all if I am to wear it a Supanova.
Its going to be a very busy month.

Very Nice

Hey man this is just a thought but you may really like these
They are called mad grip thunderdome gloves, I got these for 15 dollars on amazon.

They look pretty cool (your handplates too).
I think I will stay with the ones I have for now due to they allow me to have grip like normal.
Still got to touch up the waist bit though...

Small update:

Managed to get the modified undersuit on, yay.
I still have ALOT of fixing up to do but at the moment I am just happy I could finally test it on.
I think it still needs to go down a little but to do that I need to fix it up first.
It pretty much goes on like a t-shirt, but a tight one.
To get it off I just unzip the back.
If I remake it at some point I plan to get the next size up lol.
Anyway picture time.

UndersuitOnTest1_zpsdd0e0252.jpg

UndersuitOnTest2_zpsac3ce362.jpg

UndersuitArmourOnTest1_zps7ddaa461.jpg

UndersuitArmourOnTest2_zpsf967a960.jpg

Attachments

• UndersuitOnTest1_zpsdd0e0252.jpg
    UndersuitOnTest1_zpsdd0e0252.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 161
  • UndersuitOnTest2_zpsac3ce362.jpg
    UndersuitOnTest2_zpsac3ce362.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 167
  • UndersuitArmourOnTest1_zps7ddaa461.jpg
    UndersuitArmourOnTest1_zps7ddaa461.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 175
  • UndersuitArmourOnTest2_zpsf967a960.jpg
    UndersuitArmourOnTest2_zpsf967a960.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 172
It really does pull the whole suit together, after all those crazy patterns though do you think you'll ever want to sow again?

It really does pull the whole suit together, after all those crazy patterns though do you think you'll ever want to sow again?

In truth yes.
The only issue with sowing is it takes forever, but when you think about it everything takes a long time.

Small update on the Lightrifle.
At the moment I am working to complete 1 rifle.
This is because I am running out of time / only need 1 for April.
I plan to finish the other 2 after.

Anyway finished cutting out the flashing light plastic.

LightrifleProgress34_zpsc6b8451e.jpg

Attachments

• LightrifleProgress34_zpsc6b8451e.jpg
    LightrifleProgress34_zpsc6b8451e.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 167
So regarding your undersuit, if I remember you said you hot glued everything into place and then sewed it right? Did you use a needle and thread and do it all by hand or use a machine? After taking it on and off multiple times how do you think it is holding together honestly? I have a few times where I made something I thought was solid but after taking it on and off or wearing it for a prolonged period of time it would slowly fall apart. I'm very interested in your method because it looks like something I could accomplish.

So regarding your undersuit, if I remember you said you hot glued everything into place and then sewed it right? Did you use a needle and thread and do it all by hand or use a machine? After taking it on and off multiple times how do you think it is holding together honestly? I have a few times where I made something I thought was solid but after taking it on and off or wearing it for a prolonged period of time it would slowly fall apart. I'm very interested in your method because it looks like something I could accomplish.

I used a multiple needles (kept breaking them from bending too far) and thread by hand.
It has taken around 40-50hrs so far I think.
To answer your question about it holding together, so far yes it seems to be holding every well.
I have only tried it on a few times and so far only some of the eva foam I haven't sewn yet is coming off.
I am a little surprised how well it is holding especially after having to pull pretty hard to get it off the mannequin.
I made sure each piece was sewn completely.
It made it take a long time, but I think in the end it is worth it.
Saying this though if your not sure about just having the one sewn around, you can always do multiple to make it even stronger.
Can't wait to see what you do with yours :)

Good bet to root for the underdog! Looking good!

Thanks man.
I must say all of you following this / posting give a major boost to work on it everyday.
The 405th rules :)

Just a small update again.
Been working on simplifying the electronics / making sure everything is nice and secure.

This was when I began:
LightrifleElectronicProgress2_zps17ebdb41.jpg

And this is so far:
LightrifleElectronicProgress3_zps3fa66dae.jpg

Planning to get the rest done tomorrow...

Attachments

• LightrifleElectronicProgress2_zps17ebdb41.jpg
    LightrifleElectronicProgress2_zps17ebdb41.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 174
  • LightrifleElectronicProgress3_zps3fa66dae.jpg
    LightrifleElectronicProgress3_zps3fa66dae.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 164
It really is a nice build :) Sorry about the suit getting too small, that is never fun.

Buy a metric ton of stick pins so that you don't have to hotglue next time, that way you can rip out seams and adjust :) Also, if you 'baste' your seams, then try it on, it is easy to take those out, then adjust. I love the use of different materials and texture though! Progress looks great! Question, did you plastidip your foam or just paint over it?

Very Nice

Hey man this is just a thought but you may really like these \/

After rickrtickr mentioned these gloves in his build thread, I've been doing some checking. If you check your local Lowe's, or another in your area, they may have them in stock. They also come in a couple dollars less than on Amazon.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=mad+gri...alogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=mad+grip#!

Great job on your build!

-Matt

Attachments

• 19584a4c-80e8-4b2c-b6d7-5695c258d98f_300_zps59a7421a.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 169
It really is a nice build :) Sorry about the suit getting too small, that is never fun.

Buy a metric ton of stick pins so that you don't have to hotglue next time, that way you can rip out seams and adjust :) Also, if you 'baste' your seams, then try it on, it is easy to take those out, then adjust. I love the use of different materials and texture though! Progress looks great! Question, did you plastidip your foam or just paint over it?

Thankyou :)
I have been very lucky that I was able to adjust the undersuit so that I am able to still wear it.
Ideally though I need to make another one at some point of which is the next size up.
When I go to do it I will try idea you mentioned.
As for painting I coated the eva with a few layers of pva glue and then painted over it.

Great job on your build!

Tiny update:
A bit of a setback today.
Unfortunately after I finished securing the wires on one of the electronic kits, the flashing lights and sound stopped working.
Tried to fix it but I have no idea why it isn't working.

So in the end I have left that one of now and started securing the second one instead.
This one hasn't taken very long to get up to where I was at the beginning of the day with the 1st due to I have already worked out where
everything needs to go.

On a random note for some random reason when I use Energizer batteries the sound and motors don't work correctly,
but as soon as I change to Duracell they work amazing???
Guess Duracell wins lol.

LightrifleElectronicProgress4_zps7083ece6.jpg

More on it tomorrow...

Attachments

• LightrifleElectronicProgress4_zps7083ece6.jpg
    LightrifleElectronicProgress4_zps7083ece6.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 175
Thankyou :)
I have been very lucky that I was able to adjust the undersuit so that I am able to still wear it.
Ideally though I need to make another one at some point of which is the next size up.
When I go to do it I will try idea you mentioned.
As for painting I coated the eva with a few layers of pva glue and then painted over it.

I bet you will like any second attempt better :) I find the more I sew, the more I like the results. I was researching foam builds so this thread has helped a lot. I have read a lot about coating with plastidip. I actually LARP and that is how we make shields most times. You should give it a try, I think it would help smooth things out, especially seams. You seem pretty good with your gluing (that is something I am worried about when I really get into it) so it isn't a huge concern. I included a pic of what plastidip painted over looks like as a finish.

http://wrapshot.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_25211.jpg

Loving this thread though, def. subscribed :D I eagerly await updates!

I bet you will like any second attempt better :) I find the more I sew, the more I like the results. I was researching foam builds so this thread has helped a lot. I have read a lot about coating with plastidip. I actually LARP and that is how we make shields most times. You should give it a try, I think it would help smooth things out, especially seams. You seem pretty good with your gluing (that is something I am worried about when I really get into it) so it isn't a huge concern. I included a pic of what plastidip painted over looks like as a finish.
Loving this thread though, def. subscribed :D I eagerly await updates!

I agree. When its your second attempt you have already learnt from the mistakes of the last.
Glad to help :)
Haven't been able to get hold of any plastidip, but I must say that shield is pretty awesome.
Trust me I was terrible at gluing when I first started but slowly but surely I am getting better. :p

Just a possibility I didn't mention, did you accidently tape two legs of an LED together? That'd stop it!

That was the first thing a made sure I didn't do.
Each leg of every led has tape around it to avoid that happening.

Ok so no update today but I promise you that there will be a few big ones in the next few days.
I have been very busy doing multiple things and will be ready to show you all from tomorrow.

[WATCH THIS SPACE]

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Ru...=true&searchRedirect=plastidip&redAB=A&NCNI-5

There you go :) Just remember, you don't need different colors of plastidip, you paint over it to get the colors you want :) I usually get it at home depot or lowes but online is okay too (you acutally save money getting it at HD or L because no shipping) You can pick between the spray can and the can that looks like a paint can? I go with spray can because it already has the thinner whereas the other, you have to thin it down with something. (forget off the top of my head at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back