Custom Reach Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GothX

Jr Member
Hey everyone, after my success with my first helmet build I decided to in head first and make 2 full custom Spartan III builds. One for my and one for one of my best friends and con buddy. I touched on these a little in a flurry of ADD picture posting in another thread but I decided to put them here from start to finish so I can get more clear feedback and criticism.

So here are the two models I'm working towards.

My Spartan III
Vanity_634606348699088303.png

And Franks Spartan III
Jesse-182.png

Some people may think I'm insane for building two full suits at the same time but I seem to be fairly quick at this stuff and I figure 80% of the parts are the same so why not, right?
(actually I'm also making a MK VI Grif build at the same time too but that will be a different post)

Step on, the pep builds:
335509_10150859353090230_501815229_21300250_1828432657_o.jpg

325218_10150877423030230_501815229_21417576_1316479269_o.jpg

More Pictures later.

That's a sexy lookin' visor you got there. I love mirrored irridium. At any rate pep looks great, should produce a nice finished product

I've seen people out there who actually make full blown Ironman spartans with the UA Security shoulders, gold visor and red and gold paint. Also saw an optimus prime once too :D

Added Resin to the peps. I am kinda lazy and like more instant results so instead of using fiberglass resin then glassing the inside I use a lightweight high strength poly resin called Alumilite. 2 or 3 coats gives you a plastic candy shell about 1/8" thick and planty strong. The resin has the consistency of warm honey and sets in about 90 seconds.

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-12.jpg

temporary-13.jpg

I've been learning that the resin shrinks like 2% as it hardens so to get the least warping you kinda have to pour it in small sections in quick succession in a symmetrical pattern as the resin sets but before it hardens. The resin set in about 90 seconds like I said but is soft for about 45 minutes so if you can completely coat the inside with a first layer in that amount of time and keep it in shape while it hardens you are golden. I've also learned that room temp can speed up or slow down the hardening process drastically. right now it's an average temp of 45 degrees F in my work shop (damn you winter) and the resin can take up to 5 minutes to set and several hours to harden. I use that to my advantage to get more even coverage and a full coat before it hardens. Once I have the inside fully covered I put the helmet in front of my space heater and it hardens in like 15 minutes. I have to keep the helmets moving in the heat though so it hardens evenly or else that could also cause warping.

Next Bondo!

perhaps to defeat the shrinkage issue, have you thought of doing your typical fiberglass resin simply without the fiberglass matting and doing a slush cast scenario? Would be almost similar, except you wouldnt deal with any shrinkage from hardening, plus addening more of the catalytic accelerant can greatly decrease your wait time, as well as cure time.

I could do that but Alumilite does something interesting when you mix it in the wrong proportions. It foams then quickly hardens as a foam. It's kinda neat but very brittle.

more pics!

Bondo on!

temporary-14.jpg

temporary-8.jpg

Then JFO sanded, primed and detail lines carved
temporary-11.jpg

now I'm painting it while I continue sanding the crap out of the CQB. Trying my best to get it bowlingball smooth and perfectly rounded.

The JFO looks awesome. Good luck with the bowling ball on the CQB, I'm dreading that part when I make my girlfriends helmet.

Got some paint on the JFO, I think I need to find a darker grey for the forehead piece. I'll have to look around the hardware store tomorrow.

temporary-17.jpg

temporary-16.jpg

Now a little detail painting, some distressing and a visor and we can focus in the CQB helmet. Then I think torso builds next.

So yesterday I ran out of card stock. Had just enough left to pep two hand plate and two gauntlets.

temporary-22.jpg

And I learned that I HATE doing gauntlets. Way to many little parts, or maybe I just chose a bad file for me.

Today a quick run to Walmart for more paper and maybe I can start pep work in my torso.

Ok, so I've run into a problem and I need some feedback cause I'm unsure what to do. On the CQB helmet there is this indented detail on the cheeks:

reach_24944360_Full.jpg

See it there, the cylinder type thing. Now the problem is that the pep file for the helmet has that section bumped out:

temporary-24.jpg

See what I'm talking about. My indecision comes from me wanting to cut away that section and try to reshape it to be accurate but at the same time the helmet is so close to being done maybe I can just dress it up and pass it off...

What do you guys think?

My suggestion is that you cut out the piece that's bumped out, and then line up the shape on the opposite cheek, and then glue it back so it's indented, and then use some vaccum cleaner house for the little ridged part. Just a suggestion, it looks like it would work.

My suggestion is that you cut out the piece that's bumped out, and then line up the shape on the opposite cheek, and then glue it back so it's indented, and then use some vaccum cleaner house for the little ridged part. Just a suggestion, it looks like it would work.

That's a fantastic idea! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back