Custom Reach Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, since my Mk VI is out there, anyone know where I can find so.e good reference shots for the duel layer visor?

So in an effort to help out a friend in a pinch I've sold my CQB helmet. Now im back at square one and I don't know if I want to make another more accurate CQB helmet or do I go with a Reach Mk V. I love the uniqueness of the CQB but at the same time the MkV, MkV(b#, and MkVI helmet embody the essence of Halo and are just plain more comfortable to wear. What do you guys think?

Also I scaled my forearm piece wrong# its too long :() so if any one wants a cheap forearm and is 5'10" - 6' pm me. I only made one before I caught the problem. Its fully hardened and has some basic paint on it.

I'm sorry to hear you had to sell it, but you must be a good friend to do that! It was looking great.

My opinion is, don't build the helmet for what others want, or what the norm is, and don't build a helmet just because it's not commonly built. Pick the one you like the most, and you think is the most awesome, because at the end of the day it's you who matters most! And... you who has to look at all day while you work on it!

Everyone's done an ODST helmet, but that's always been my favorite helmet hands down, so I picked it!

The best part is, though... that you can make both! It's not that hard or expensive a hobby that you can only do one! So do your favorite first, and second can come later. And you've shown your work to be fantastic, so it'll be awesome for sure.

You have a good point Katsu. I'll be starting on a Reach Mk V helmet next week and then... I may end up building one of every Reach and Halo 3 permutation before the year's through lol.

Twelve hour shifts and a few other commissions I have to finish have put my Spartan builds almost at a standstill. But I still got a little more done on my torso. I'm using a modified foam template and some brightly colored foam about 1/4 the thickness of the floor mat foam most people use, and I glued sheets of it together to make a sort of foam plywood. Seems to be working out pretty well so far.

temporary-45.jpg

temporary-46.jpg

The Mk VI will most likely end up as the helmet for this build since it's already got a lot of work in it. Eventually I'd like to make another more accurate CQB helmet and a MK V helmet...and maybe an EOD.

It is baffling how great that foam armor looks, such great details for something I wouldn't expect to be so cool looking to work with, great job so far.

Thanks, I am a wiz at making crappy materials into gold :)

Although honestly I think my idea of using what is essentially extra thick craft foam glued in layers makes it easier to get some detail then working with a piece of 1" thick foam but I also have to make a lot of small parts that would otherwise be covered by the foams thickness. Also my torso (which is nearly completed since I took these pics) is kinda flimsy so im experimenting with adding some structural foam in key areas to stiffen it up. We'll see how that worked out in the morning when everything's cured.

Helmet's Nearly done and just a few parts to add on to the torso like the ab plate.

temporary-48.jpg

I'm kinda liking the Reach model MK VI. Who can say no to a helmet with a racing stripe :p
Black visor is a temp until I can make my blue dual layer one.

And I don't know how but every friggin helmet I make some how get a paint thumb print on it some where obvious that I have to go back and fix *_*

This helmet is way to small. It at least needs to be 2 or 3 times bigger than that...lol. J/k <-- lousy attempt at a Zoolander joke.

Anyways, I can't believe I've missed this thread. Your project is coming along nicely, can't wait to see this in the end. Good luck on the rest!

Tony

This helmet is way to small. It at least needs to be 2 or 3 times bigger than that...lol. J/k <-- lousy attempt at a Zoolander joke.
I see what ya did there :p

I'm almost done with the torso to that mini-chief and it will become part of a bronze bust of the chief. I plan to make it an installation art piece of sorts surrounded my miniature mounted heads of different covenent. I'm calling it "a monument to all my sins".

What do you think about it? I'll post pics of that later.

So I may have inadvertently melted my torso piece. I may have to rethink the foam I was using. Well back to step one. Maybe I'll try making the legs or something first so I don't get overly frustrated and have to fight the urge to hurt people.

fantastic work there man, I tried to do that just the other day, but for some odd reason when I tried to move the vertices of the mesh, it didn't just move one and I ended up with a fonky lookin messed up CQB helmet. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back