DBmike's IRONMAN mk7 WiP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBmike

Hey guys, I'm pretty excited to be posting my first post in this part of the forum.
For those of you who already know me, I have decided to take time off from the noble 6 build just for a week to start this!
I haven't given up on my other build but I'm getting near the end of it and it's feeling like a chore so thought I'd take a break to get excited about it again!

So anyway here's my new project, mk7 Ironman. Started with the helmet, I think it's gone pretty well just gotta pull the face Plate into shape a bit more and get it sitting right. I could go for a mechanised faceplate but as that's more a convenient solution for the films I'm going with the comic book style where he pulls off the faceplate and places it on his head when he reveals his face. This is a cheaper solution and far easier obviously, but being me I'll probably end up mechanising it anyways because let's face it, it does look pretty sweet :p

Right so here goes the first of my progress:

08f550ca.jpg

690b53da.jpg

30e54626.jpg

So my next plan for this is to get it painted while I'm finishing noble 6 this week and go from there.
Stay tuned folks!

Mike

Might be a bit late for it, but here's a video on foam Iron Man helmet stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link buddy, with respect I already know the techniques mentioned. I built this from the pep files as it was to see how it'd turn out. I know how to solve the faceplate distortion issue so I'll try that first if it doesn't work I'll go back and start again. Thanks again for your input and I hope this doesn't sound cocky, I just like to explore all the avenues on my builds.
Thanks
Mike

No problem, I just thought those glued seams on the faceplate could be hard to cover up even with plastidip and paint and maybe you haven't seen this video.

Been building a 3D model for my helmet templates this week and I was wondering how strong 10mm foam is, especially if the helmet is kinda tight. So how does it feel to wear this one, is there anything to keep in mind?

Yh Drack built the same helmet and mentioned to try avoiding doing the seams but I gave it a shot anyway to see how it'd turn out but being me I'll end up making another one till I get it right and tbh I got the scale wrong on this one it could do with being smaller by an inch I reckon. The seams in reality though you can see them are smooth to the touch so hopefully wouldn't show too much especially as I'm using quite a thick plasti dip which does hide small imperfections rather well, but as I said I'm most likely going to rebuild this over the week and get the pep sorted to get rid of those seams all together

Only thing I'd bear in mind is the top of it likes to pull away from the Center and requires a lot of shaping to hold it in shape and also dimensions, every time you make it wider annoyingly it gets too long if that makes sense. Obviously the longer it is the further the faceplate is from your face and thus harder to see out of. I'll update with another picture once the faceplate is pulled into shape more and explain how I do that because theres only so much you can do with a heat gun and bending it.
As for the strength of the foam its rugged and tough can take a beating, but some foams are more dense than others and as I said theres only so much you can do with a heat gun because of this. To combat it a wire coat hanger shaped and glued inside can really help out, its what I did inside my N6 helmet and its what i'll do with the faceplate.

Hope thats helpful for you, and good luck when you come round to build it!

UPDATE!

Right firstly I've made this helmet too big and it wouldnt match the scale of the rest of the suit when I get round to it. Secondly it's all wrong anyway, I'm going to alter the pep so I don't get the creases on the faceplate for example.
I've also learnt for some reason primer before paint wasn't a good idea it's just not been a good enough base for the paint. When I painted my Noble 6 helm that was paint straight onto plasti dip and it worked much better than with the primer in between, also I now know for the actual helmet I will use that the paint needs to be a lot darker than I have used here.

I decided however that because I started it I'd finish it and have a helmet to put on a shelf or something so here it is so far, instarted paint and needs a bit more doing. The faceplate is a bit patchy, for some reason the paint didn't with stand the masking tape, again maybe a problem caused by the primer :s

Its probably worth noting I took the pictures on my phone so the red isn't quite as dazzling as it appears :p

d47b0166.jpg

d3991cd3.jpg

a72d40a5.jpg

7db638b2.jpg

I kinda realised after painting that the plate on the upper chin is also gold, ooooops! nvm needs more painting anyways :p

As I said before this isn't going to be the helmet I finally use but it has been a nice little side project while I get ready to do the final stages of my N6 build.
I'll update with pictures of it finished in a couple days, in the mean time feel free to comment :)

so far so good. i love iron man <3 keep us updated :)

Thanks buddy, still needs a lot of work and i'm gonna re make the helmet to be smaller at a later date too.
Will be slow progress on this one now i'm back on my Noble build :)

Hi guys small update here. So minus the lights I've finished the helmet and I'm pretty happy with it. What do you think?

C6A9AC49-11BA-4628-8FB7-804E84B89E82-13758-00000EDDD78B98DB.jpg

And here it is next to my very first foam build (which is a bit rubbish)

E61D9F59-4B33-42B7-B613-41BC94DB76BB-13758-00000EDDE22424F7.jpg

And that's all folks! Will build some more of the armour soon.

So today I received some mosquito net in the post.
I bought it after watching one of Xrobots video, and did my own experiment with the eyes. Gotta say works perfectly, I can see out of them perfectly lit or unlit. I need to tweek them a little as the nettings bunched a little so causing the light to do the same but all i need to do is take it out pull it tighter and reattach to the clear plastic lense and should disperse the light evenly :)

D651B700-3474-40B2-8271-7D9387393566-663-000000619721BF48.jpg

933221CC-6176-451B-A895-54A3A09BBAF7-663-000000619ED0174E.jpg

F22E23A4-C235-4621-8B2B-094666827B8C-663-00000061A6C6C2B5.jpg

I love iron man , awesome love those mosquito nets. It gave me an idea for my future build that is going to be a daedric helmet from the game skyrim. My favorite part of iron man specially fans like you make the armor is THE SHINSSSSSSSSSSSS i lovvvvvvvvvve irons mans shins for some reason lol soo i tell you know i cant WAIT to see the shins done man youst cant haha keep going cause i am watching this build for sure!

So after putting a fair few hours into the halo suit I finished the back plate this evening and got it on the duct tape dummy, surprised how badly duct tape sticks to foam, definitely gonna need to get some straps on here soon so I can at least wear it and check out how sits on me because this dummy is pretty distorted from my actual shape :/

nvm though, so here it is, feedback appreciated :)

Oh and Charlie117, thanks!

286626D7-E3B5-4D12-A247-B7157408B73D-6068-0000068C12430C3C.jpg

this one looks skinny from the side but thats because its just not sitting right on the dummy which as mentioned is distorted...

783EE232-0E0A-4E30-BE17-8A9872D0A73E-6068-0000068C1EBFEE6F.jpg

And here I'll be adding the flaps in the near future but I want to have them mechanised to open as they do in The Avengers

642D4FDC-871E-46F7-B80A-7A82ED8CE0D5-6068-0000068C185E0C03.jpg

C02C2221-FCC3-4D72-833F-614FDCBE744B-6068-0000068C093425F3.jpg

Thanks for looking, feedback appreciated!

Love what you have done so far. It all looks really good.

You know. . . that mosquito netting you used in the eyes would make awesome hex patterns on Halo visors. . . :p

Keep up the good work.

Love what you have done so far. It all looks really good.

You know. . . that mosquito netting you used in the eyes would make awesome hex patterns on Halo visors. . . :p

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jeremy!

It would but I was thinking about it for a minute, you wouldn't be able to see it through the tint would you? unless you mean to use it instead of the tint. Either way its a brilliant Idea and I've got so much of it I think i'll give it a go on my new visor :)

Thanks Jeremy!

It would but I was thinking about it for a minute, you wouldn't be able to see it through the tint would you? unless you mean to use it instead of the tint. Either way its a brilliant Idea and I've got so much of it I think i'll give it a go on my new visor :)

Well. . . . I was thinking of using it as a stencil for an airbrush to get that hex pattern. I didn't think of using it to screen the visor. But if you try that, I wanna see!!!!

How's your veil coming along? Hadn't seen that PM you said you'd send. :p

Looking really nice man. Love the detail on the back. Shame we won't be ready with our Ironman suits for new year :(
We will have to head into town on IM3 release though for fun :)

Tom.

Well. . . . I was thinking of using it as a stencil for an airbrush to get that hex pattern. I didn't think of using it to screen the visor. But if you try that, I wanna see!!!!

How's your veil coming along? Hadn't seen that PM you said you'd send. :p

Nice idea hasn't thought of spraying over it. Might give it ago. No I haven't sent it yet, been a bit behind and playing with this has only delayed me more.

Thanks Tom! We'll have to do something for the new film release. I want to attend the London premiere. That would be awesome!!

looking Good DB!

Thanks Blu3rav3n, thought your mc is looking sweet though I think I've misse your energy sword build?

Update!

Here's the neck, I'm going to chop it after dinner and put some poppers on there and go for a first fitting of the torso section :)
23F45D5A-F766-429A-9E0F-808702E399E1-7001-000008206EA88505.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back