Debit Account Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

M07Marauder

Hey guys guess what I just found out... Someone managed to steal my Debit account information.

I was supposed to have an almost $600 check but ended up with a $300 check thank to fraudulent charges to my account causing it to overdraft.

Day before yesterday I had $34 left in my account and today was payday, well last night while on break at work when I checked my account it was at -$156. I was extremely confused and freaked out from this. So this morning when I got off work I went to my bank and asked for a print out of my recent activity on my account. I get a paper and everything looks all good until I get to the bottom of the list and there is a $104 overdraft charge but no overdrafts on my account. Well I ask the manager about this and he prints up a paper showing the pending transactions on my account. In the pending transactions it shows as follows:

DATE ___ AMOUNT ___ DESCRIPTION

05/25/10 ___ -$1.00 ___ APL*ITUNES

05/25/10 ___ -1.00 ___ PLAYSTATION NETWORK

05/25/10 ___ -1.13 ___ APL*MOBILEME

05/25/10 ___ -37.30 ___ WMV*MATCH.COM

05/25/10 ___ -62.48 ___ EJ 3D SECURE A

05/25/10 ___ -68.78 ___ FROGSTER

After that there are 3 transactions from me buying my food the night of the 25th into the morning of the 26th. I have nothing to do with any of the things being charged to my account. I do not own a Playstation or PSP, I have never been to Match.com, WTF is EJ 3D Secure?!, WTF is mobileme?!, WTF is Frogster?! my iPod has been bricked for over a month now and I have never bought anything nor used my card with iTunes.

I talked to the teller and had my current card shut down and destroyed and had my online banking account reset. He told me I would have to wait for the pending transactions to come through before I could call their Claims Resolution Center and report the disputes but on the back of the information card for fraud it said to call them immediately after noticing fraudulent charges.

I'm so angry about this but at the same time I'm scared I won't get my money back and my bank will just shrug this off. Do any of you know anything that would help or have any advice?

Anything would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
call bank, hold on all charges, police report, and try to get some info on the scum bag. Been there. sucks.

Yeah, I've had this happen to me... twice before. It totally sucks, an inconvenience but in my experience anyways the banks were really good about reimbursing it.

Just call your bank and submit a fraud claim. You'll have to list the individual charges you didn't make and if they're a good bank or credit union they'll issue you what's called provisional credit. Which basically means they front the money you lost while they investigate what happened. If they do find who stole your info they'll never tell you however.

Happened to me one weekend in college. Checked my account balance Mon morning and it said I had bought a coffee at school Sunday and then somehow started pulling $550 out of various ATMs in Russia. Good times...

M07Marauder said:
05/25/10 ___ -1.00 ___ PLAYSTATION NETWORK

This can be tracked to the account of the playstation gamer

as can most of these other charges, sounds like someone you know took the card because these are not "criminal" thoughts. These are more like teenager thoughts. A real Criminal would have gone to a ATM if the new your pin and just taken the cash so it couldn't be traced.

This sadly has happened to me on many occasions with my mums credit card while i was buying stuff with it. But the bank we were with thankfully had security measures and they eventually traced the purchase of an item online to a ebay account in Australia. But yeah report as soon as possible and tell us the outcome. This sucks/

Well I agree with what everyone else is saying about filing the police report and etc, etc. also on all of those charges they can be traced back to the user unless another name was used but if another name was used then no matter what you should be able to find out by tracing the transaction of the playstation acount.

Thanks guys, I woke this morning and immediately got on my computer to check my account. When I got on all of the above mentioned charges were gone, they just were no longer pending and weren't posted. All of my money was back in my account except for the overdraft charges for the disappearing charges.

I don't know what is up with them disappearing but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, now I just have to fight those overdraft charges for a non existing overdraft.

Thanks everyone, I hope I can get the last bit settled. After this I'm getting a new bank and not going to tie a card to the account.

M07Marauder said:
Thanks guys, I woke this morning and immediately got on my computer to check my account. When I got on all of the above mentioned charges were gone, they just were no longer pending and weren't posted. All of my money was back in my account except for the overdraft charges for the disappearing charges.

I don't know what is up with them disappearing but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, now I just have to fight those overdraft charges for a non existing overdraft.

Thanks everyone, I hope I can get the last bit settled. After this I'm getting a new bank and not going to tie a card to the account.

Glad to hear that this is almost over, and you're doing the right thing by hcnaging banks.

I just got back from my bank and they refunded the overdraft charges to me.

I did however have to call and file a claim because one of the posts did reappear. But it's in the system and now im only $40 in the hole and waiting for the claims packet to be mailed to me.

Almost there :) .

Do something before that ******* or asholes get away with it! That is your money!

Edit: Oh sorry! I didn't see that last post:p

The debacle continues, yay.

Checked my account this morning and apparently those ghost charges are slowly reappearing in my posted transactions one at a time. Called in and filed yet another claim on two of the charges that reappeared. The two that reappeared this time were the ones based in Berlin. Hopefully this one will be blatantly obvious seeing as I don't have a passport and have only left Texas about three times.

Omg I'm never paying with a card or linking it to my account ever again, this is ridiculous that some piece of #### can get away with this crap. Sorry for the language but this came at a horrible time, I'm one week away from my week of vacation for A-kon and I still need to pay my bills but I'm too scared to even buy a candy bar with fear of it somehow magically overdrafting my account because of a bunch of random charges. I have $11 to live off of until this crap is cleared up, thank God Japan for ramen :lol .

Jico said:
Do something before that ******* or asholes get away with it! That is your money!

Edit: Oh sorry! I didn't see that last post:p

Lol, no worries it's still an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back