details, details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoblackguy2

ive finshed gluing my pepakura armour and i need to put vents and everything on it. i tryed cardboard but it looked really bad can anyone help me.tnx

Like gaj2714 said: First resin (the outside), then fiberglass the inside. This is what gives your armor structure. After that, bondo for the details, primer, paint, and viola! Pictures would be a good visual reference for us to be able to give you any type of advice. Also, before you use any of the hazardous materials, make sure you read up on how to use them safely, and obviously in a well ventilated area. Safety is key.

also with what lancer said, always wear a breather mask. Indoors or outside you need to wear one. Gloves help too. But resin the outside then rondo the inside fiberglassing works too but not required. Rondo is a mixture of both resin and bondo to get it into a more liquidy state which is what people use to "slosh" the inside of the armor.

Well, unless you enjoy peeling the resin out of your hand and arm hair... :p

Dude, resin isn't like watercolour. Getting it off isn't going to be your only problem once you have it on your skin, especially in larger quantities.

Polyester resin causes things like swelling, itching and dryness, the MEKP hardener that goes with it is acid and causes stuff like blistering and pain in addition to that. Sensitisation is also a possibility. The resin also contains substances that cause cancer, but to be honest I don't know right now whether that applies to skin contact, inhalation or both. The MSDS is probably referring to the styrene here, which is most dangerous via inhalation.
Other kinds of resin often have similar effects. Sensitisation, for example, is probably the main issue when working with epoxy (and occurs mainly due to skin contact here, and thin examination gloves won't prevent it for long either).

I don't want anybody to think these materials are super dangerous (because with the proper safety precautions they really aren't), but I am surprised time and again by the kind of unconcern and ignorance with which people handle them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back