Do you think I deserved this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding this same kind of attitude more and more on the Internet. Not necessarily to that extreme, but it's far more noticeable nowadays than it has been over the past few years. Particularly in any area that deals with a hobby (guitars, props, comics, etc), it seems that their hobbies are now considered at the deity level, so any suggested modification of your own stuff to fit your desires is a direct attack on what has become a sort of religion. So by bringing up that you want to mod your guitar, you are telling these jerks that you want to change their perception of their hobby. It's not even a snowball effect, it's just an outright misunderstanding taken to the extreme.

It also has to do with what you're saying versus what they want to take away from what you've written. If you say "Dont shoot me!" and this jerk is in a bad mood or just wants to rip you a new one, he'll only read "Shoot me!" though you've explicitly said more.

And of course, it's only common courtesy (sarcasm) to hate all new ideas in this day and age, especially on the Internet, and especially without reason or an opportunity to hear your idea out). Any change that you propose that would only affect you will automatically be attacked and torn apart because it threatens to alter what other people believe to be the status quo in their own little worlds. This can be said for nearly every aspect of the human experience in today's political climate, but it only exaggerates what happens on the Internet, even in little hobby forums. So given the chance, people WILL flip out on you at the drop of a hat, for little to no reason at all. It's really upsetting, and I'm right there with you, man.

To illustrate my point, take movies for example. Before, say, 2000, you never heard the phrase "it ruined my childhood." Now, it's the cliche catch phrase of every nerd on the Internet that has an opinion about a movie. And even before the movie comes out, people decide that they hate it, it's a terrible movie, the director should die in a fire. But the movie hasn't come out yet. It's like a movie gets announced and it's already hated with a firey passion. It all boils down to the point that when someone wants to make something new that adds to or otherwise effects others' status quo in any little way, people get hot headed about it instantly.

So no, you absolutely did not deserve it in the least.

And of course, it's only common courtesy (sarcasm) to hate all new ideas in this day and age, especially only the Internet, and especially without reason or an opportunity to hear your idea out). Any change that you propose that would only affect you will automatically be attacked and torn apart because it threatens to alter what other people believe to be the status quo in their own little worlds. This can be said for nearly every aspect of the human experience in today's political climate, but it only exaggerates what happens on the Internet, even in little hobby forums. So given the chance, people WILL flip out on you at the drop of a hat, for little to no reason at all. It's really upsetting, and I'm right there with you, man.

Yikes Torso, and I thought I was a misanthropist :p
I couldn't agree with you more.

As for the '2000' entertainment mindset, I defiantly find myself falling into that train of thought when I hear about upcoming films, but I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

I still say Silent Hill was one of the best game to film adaptations, simply because it's hard to screw up that crazy art style/story. It still creeps me out just as bad as the games did.

Wow, I never knew this thread would attract this much attention...

But on the topic of forums, it's ironic how a community that circles around guns, killing and war can be the nicest forum on the web :p

a-InternetToughGuy1.jpg

"Everything that I do is better than anything you could ever dream of. If it was not done by me, it was not done the right way." -- Internet Tough Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back