Drivable Warthog build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always assumed Warthogs were Jeep-sized vehicles (especially with the wheels so close together), where Hummers are massive. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome with a military Hummer or even an H2, I'm just trying to think of the proportions.

you guys do know that several warthogs have already been built...u can get the sizes and information from them

Ah, don't be a spoilsport. We like talking about the feasibility, and all hoping that we could design our own and they would be the best one ever! I've also only ever seen one completed build, and I believe it was bungie's. I did see a lifted truck with a front grill that is similar to the warthogs the other day, and I went through a brief stint in my imagination of buying it off of him and making it.

So here's a question for anyone that knows auto detailing. Since corvettes are made out of fiberglass, how practical would it be for someone to make a giant pepakura shell, and just pop that on top of a vehicle? It would just be for show, but what exactly makes a car street legal or not? Could I drive around a custom build if I wanted to, obviously without a dangerous looking turret that might rouse a bit of panic in the uninformed populace?

It's very possible. A Jeep frame or a Hummer would do it. Swap out the rear axle so it can swing turn, big Pizza Cutter tires and the rest is just details. I am thinking about the Warthog build myself, my brother-in-law knows alot about fiberglass work. I can weld a tube frame.

It seems to me that a dune buggy frame would be a good option as it can be modified easily and already has a similar wheel setup. Of course dune buggy frames are wide and varied, so some may or may not be fit for it. Also, you dont have to fight with some of the more stupid systems that get in the way.

Dune buggies can be street legalized as long as they meet some general saftey protocals and have been licensed for road usage. These vary from state to state. As for the turret, I would suggest making it interchangable with the troop carrying seats.

I've done quite a bit of studying on this subject because I too, have been wanting to make my own road legal vehicle. However, for financial reasons that dream is at least a year away.

That said, good luck on it, I hope it turns out quite well.
-Gryphon

if any one has any pepakura warthog files and the scale for it p.m. me their be a prize for the most accurate design and scale

According to http://www.kgbanswers.com/how-much-does-the-jeep-hurricane-cost/4175274, the Jeep Hurricane was never released to the public, SO WE CAN'T BUY IT.

hence the finely placed "lol," have you ever seen one driving around? of course not. But converting a vehicle into a warthog with front and rear turning capitalizes would not be cheap, and yes private collectors do own the few in existence. It was slight sarcasm mixed with some helpful knowledge, calm down.

For vehicle basis I would recommend a truck that has (or can be modified with) independent front and rear suspension (the rear part is hard because that requires CV Axles on the back... crazy, I know.) My personal thoughts would lean towards a small truck from the late '90s such as a Ford Ranger, GMC Sonoma, or Chevy S-10. Any of those trucks have a strong sturdy frame for off road use, and adequate space for the forward bucket seats as well as the rear bed-mounted turret. The interior space such as the dash also has plenty of room for the UNSC Warthog's console and a mock RADAR console as shown in the games. Just some food for thought. Also, hope you get it done, driveable 'Hogs would be awesome.

This could be a very interesting and technical build. Check out WETA Workshops at http://www.wetanz.com/vehicles/ . They have completed one of the only functional Warthog builds that I am aware of. They may be willing to provide some information in regards to scale, setup and vehicle type used.

Good luck.

I've also only ever seen one completed build, and I believe it was bungie's.

Nope! wrong, they do not belong to Bungie
There are 2 "quasi official" Warthogs in existance and they both belong to Weta Worshop and technical Microsoft and were built here in New Zealand, and generally spend a lot of there time here in Mirimar.

I have had the privelidge along with Belkor to have some time with one of these vehicles and their creators.

The shell is indeed Fiberglass construction, and every detail is near perfect.
they only thing they could not replicate was the independant suspension, and that was due to budget and time, but it does have 4 wheel steering etc.
the tires and rims had to be specially made.

I can't remember what Chassis they based it off but think it was the Bronco.

Weta were pushing to license it as a collectible with Microsoft, but at a price tag of $150,000 USD+ they didnt see much uptake.
Apparently they still get offers from people with money to make them, but they are not allowed due to licinsing issues.

Nope! wrong, they do not belong to Bungie
There are 2 "quasi official" Warthogs in existance and they both belong to Weta Worshop and technical Microsoft and were built here in New Zealand, and generally spend a lot of there time here in Mirimar.

I have had the privelidge along with Belkor to have some time with one of these vehicles and their creators.

The shell is indeed Fiberglass construction, and every detail is near perfect.
they only thing they could not replicate was the independant suspension, and that was due to budget and time, but it does have 4 wheel steering etc.
the tires and rims had to be specially made.

I can't remember what Chassis they based it off but think it was the Bronco.

Weta were pushing to license it as a collectible with Microsoft, but at a price tag of $150,000 USD+ they didnt see much uptake.
Apparently they still get offers from people with money to make them, but they are not allowed due to licinsing issues.

wow... you really know your Weta.

wow... you really know your Weta.

lol

New Zealand is a small place mate, and if you build props you end up getting to meet and chat to some very interesting people.
That and myself, belkor and some pals we invited down to Weta for a personal tour and learning sessions by Richard Taylor.

According to http://www.kgbanswers.com/how-much-does-the-jeep-hurricane-cost/4175274, the Jeep Hurricane was never released to the public, SO WE CAN'T BUY IT.

It's also too bad that hey aren't making the Hummer Fast Back anymore.

x07cc_hm006.jpg

It's often referred to as a worthog. Even if they aren't making them they will be in Transformers 3 with turret guns on the back just like worthogs.

Attachments

• x07cc_hm006.jpg
    x07cc_hm006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back