Elite Showcase? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaGonnaGetYou

I don't see the real point of the ES. I can see that is meant as a privelege, but it is, at the same time, insulting.

For people who worked extremely hard on their suit, and it was good quality, and not accepted into the ES, they'll feel like they didn't make their armor quality enough, which is a serious ego-killer, or they'll feel that others with EXTREMELY similar suits that made it in shouldn't be in, and fighting will ensue.

I don't know about anyone else, but the Showcase will end as more of an insult than a benefit. Elite rank? Sure, it couldn't hurt much. But an entire forum will make people think 'DAMMIT I DINT GET IN I MUST SPEND $100+ TO MAKE MAI SUIT BETTAR QUALITY!'.

Hopefully some of you see my point.

Thanks for reading!

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. BUT, the staff makes the final decisions and they deemed the Elite Showcase necessary. I may not personally agree with everything in there, but I wasn't asked to vote for the entries. Make your armor the best you can and be completely pleased with it. If you aren't happy with it, then keep working until you are. Not everyone will make the ES. Will I? Probably not unless I do something that hasn't been done yet. Do I care? No. My personal satisfaction comes first. Then everything else.

My 50 cents worth.

I see where your coming from ImaGonnaGetYou, but disagree.
I think part of the idea of the elite showcase is to inspire people to complete there suits to a higher quality.
Also, peoples definition of what a "good" quality suit is differs. So while some people may think that there suit was good quality it may still only be basic pep with a little bondo and not enough detail. (no offense meant to anyone, just my opinion).

If people are encouraged to spend extra money on there suit to help it get into the Elite showcase, thats a good thing! There going to have a better quality suit, and lets face it, there going to be happier that they spent the extra cash on it.

Portal - Too true. I agree with you. The extra money may be worth it but in the end, the staff decides who gets into the ES.

Personally, I can agree to en extent with this rant. I am by no means a moderator, and I fully support their decisions. However, it seems to me that before the Elite Showcase, most members knew who to look for, in terms of quality. Now with the showcase in place, it seems that those who have put their all into a project will be excluded from stardom. I just feel that we, as a site, do not need a forum telling us who is the best of the best, as we already know that.

I just feel that with the showcase in place, some individuals may feel that their suits will never be acceptable, or even not make an attempt at all with the assumption that their suits will never look that good.

Just my 2 cents

Ixius

EDIT: The other side of the argument is appealing as well. However, I simply feel that it was an unecessary attachment to an already successful forum.

I found it kinda hurtful in a way. With my SR WIP i though maybe I could pull off a perfect in-game accurate creation but have failed. After all the blood, sweat, tears, and money that went into making this thing (also for everyone els ethat feels the same way) that I'm being told that my WIP, finished or not, wont get the recognision from this community that was hopeded for. It sounds stupid, self-consious, selffish, and whatever else but to an individual... it hurts............. ESPECIALLY after seeing Devin and Walter with the WETA SR.. I've lost the pasion that is my build :sleep:

BUT!, The Elite Showcase also provides the noobs and our guests/visitors with the 405th's best work in a quick and easily navigated board of it's own...

I don't know where I stand on this issue but exactly.........

BlacRoseImmortal said:
BUT!, The Elite Showcase also provides the noobs and our guests/visitors with the 405th's best work in a quick and easily navigated board of it's own...

That's one of the main reason's it was put it place. We got to lazy to setup a main page with the best of the best that has passed through here hence that the Elite Showcase came into place as it only took a few clicks to do. I don't see how you can't see the point of the ES section Ima, It's meant to display the Best of the Best that have been products of the forum and its resources.

We by no means are racist Nazi's that hold grudges against people. Even if there was an individual that one of us hated with the deepest passion, it doesn't mean they don't get a chance at the Elite Section, as long as they make a crazy awesome Prop that's got a great final turnout, their topic will most likely be moved into there. Us Staff are generally pretty good on keeping up with the forum and looking out for new and exciting projects, We know what should go in the ES, and we will be sure to move it in there if it is deserving.

Also, Someone could spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a suit, Doesn't mean it will be good, Money doesn't determine a suit's(or prop's) build quality and end result, But it typically is an adding factor(as in more money = better result, or so I hope!). All that matters is that you make your Props and are satisfied with the final outcome. As long as you accomplished your goal and made some kick ass suit, It shouldn't matter if you made it into the ES or not. That's all that really matters, getting into the Elite Showcase would just be an added Plus, it's not like it will make your Armor better.

Remember, Armor before Attitude.

In Conclusion. We are sort of in Bungie's position for giving out Recon, We will move your topic into the Elite Showcase if it is deemed worthy, Whining and complaining won't help you get there any faster ;) .

-Doom

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Doom. The kind of stuff that goes in Elite is what we called the Godly props in the past. It doesn't mean you don't make something good. You have to make something that raises the bar.

Case in point- I made a pretty sweet Mk V helm. Best H3 Mk V helm IMO (can't tell I'm proud of it eh :rolleyes ). But it still did not seem to be like Bluerealm quality to me so I never moved it to Elite.

The Elite is for the best of the best. Stuff that makes people go HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME! Props and projects that go the extra mile. smick's spiker is a great example. The amount of time and detail that went into it was insane. :D

Well that's my explanation on the subject anyway. "But my best will never be good enough wah!" that's quitter talk. It took Devin 3 years to make his awesome suit. These kind of things take loads of time and effort to complete. If you want to get things done that well, it takes a lot more than just skill. You got to go over the imperfections over and over again until it's just the way you want it.

I think I should offer a bit of a different outlook on the subject.

To Everyone:
Many of the people on this site are building these things out of love for the craft and the subject. You build because you want to, cause you love to do it, and in the end if you get recognized for it, great. Anything you set out to accomplish for the sole purpose of receiving recognition is a bad reason to do it in the first place.

The only real satisfaction you should get from making these props and costumes is the fact that you made it. Plain and simple. I know it feels good to be recognized by others for your efforts, but that should only ever come as a plus. Don't let it dishearten you if you don't get a pat on the back from everyone that sees your work.

So in conclusion, if you started building this stuff to find favor from a bunch of strangers on a website that you may or may not meet in the future, I strongly suggest you rethink a new reason to build.

Enough said, now get back to building. :)

I'm sorry for my previous rant. I hate it when Bud Light takes over my posts. I, by no means, meant harm to the ES. I like it... i get to see where all the best stuff goes and I love to read throught the posts or praises (or PoP lol) And everything in there is well deserved. I support the Elite Showcase.... but my Bud Light didn't lol.

Onto the building and beyond! (maybe) :lol:

Oh, I did mean that seeing the WETA SR was like a kick in the nads.... if I had any XD

Just as long as you don't change it to the l33t showcase...

Then there would be trouble.

Maybe one day we can all make it to the elite showcase - as long as we continue our strong community efforts.

Oh - on a side note can writings be featured in the Elite Showcase cause I think the RP we came up with was pretty nice...
ha ha j/k - Unless your response is a good one - then I'm serious.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
I'm sorry for my previous rant. I hate it when Bud Light takes over my posts. I, by no means, meant harm to the ES. I like it... i get to see where all the best stuff goes and I love to read throught the posts or praises (or PoP lol) And everything in there is well deserved. I support the Elite Showcase.... but my Bud Light didn't lol.

Onto the building and beyond! (maybe) :lol:
Oh, I did mean that seeing the WETA SR was like a kick in the nads.... if I had any XD

seen weta sr should have made you think you can do better or help build a better sr........thats what it has done to me

leegrisham said:
Oh - on a side note can writings be featured in the Elite Showcase cause I think the RP we came up with was pretty nice...
ha ha j/k - Unless your response is a good one - then I'm serious.

LOL, i agree that somehow we need to preserve that first RP. It was such a good read!... maybe get it published and send a copy to Bungie.....

while i'm still new here. I only have one comment on this topic.

I can;t really find any finshed costumes in there except for legendary armors stuff.
from an outsiders point of view since im new, its easy to navigate, however, its hard to find compleated things.

how about a suggestion?

place stickies at the top with threads that have nothign BUT compleated armor pictures. no discussions, etc.

so those of us that are looking to see the compleated masterworks, can view them without having to dig thru 20+ pages of conversation over ONE picture.

...again, just a suggestion from a new guy.

Jax Archillies said:
while i'm still new here. I only have one comment on this topic.

I can;t really find any finshed costumes in there except for legendary armors stuff.
from an outsiders point of view since im new, its easy to navigate, however, its hard to find compleated things.

how about a suggestion?

place stickies at the top with threads that have nothign BUT compleated armor pictures. no discussions, etc.

so those of us that are looking to see the compleated masterworks, can view them without having to dig thru 20+ pages of conversation over ONE picture.

...again, just a suggestion from a new guy.

Here ya go> completed full armor thread :]

i've gotta say i love the ES. its great to see some of the talent the people of this community have, and it really only makes me aspire to do better. if you are too self conscious to be proud of your work without the approval of strangers then thats your problem, and really if you call it finished before you are happy with it then you could have done better.sorry to be so blunt but lets face it, while everyone here put a lot of time and effort into their armor, it doesnt change the fact that some peoples are better than others, theres always a bigger fish- thats life.

You started the thread so we assume you wanted answers, that's why a number of the post's were direct response's to what you said. If you don't want our comments aimed at you then you shouldn't post these kind of things :0. Common sense could tell that.

-Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back