Eva Foam has small health risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is good info to know. Especially for foam builders, it might be advantageous to let your EVA "air out" for a few months in the attic or garage before working with it.

That is good info to know. Especially for foam builders, it might be advantageous to let your EVA "air out" for a few months in the attic or garage before working with it.

Yeah that my thoughts to, although it probally wont stop me from ripping into a new pack as soon as i get it lol. From somemore reading i've done, it seems the Eva foam from China is the worst. So i'll be sure to double check were My local Eva foam comes from.

Now im curious about what kind of toxins get released in the air after heating the EVA up with a heat gun, something to ponder about. In all thought though it cant be worse then Resin Fumes so maybe using a mask or breather would help.

Yeah that my thoughts to, although it probally wont stop me from ripping into a new pack as soon as i get it lol. From somemore reading i've done, it seems the Eva foam from China is the worst. So i'll be sure to double check were My local Eva foam comes from.

Now im curious about what kind of toxins get released in the air after heating the EVA up with a heat gun, something to ponder about. In all thought though it cant be worse then Resin Fumes so maybe using a mask or breather would help.

At least with the EVA from China, you know it spends about 1 to 2 months on the cargo ship before it shows up at your local store, so its had some time to "breathe"

This was my thought exactly. Usually, when you heat something up, any gasses or fumes that the material naturally emit gets worse. However, based on the article, it's pretty obvious that foam is much safer to work with than resin/bondo. So, like you, it probably will not stop me from working with a fresh pack either.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

At least with the EVA from China, you know it spends about 1 to 2 months on the cargo ship before it shows up at your local store, so its had some time to "breathe"

Dont forget that they're sealed in plastic, you could be right though, I know in the packages I get from my local Canadian Tire there are breathing holes in the plastic wrap. I have seen packages without holes though.

This was my thought exactly. Usually, when you heat something up, any gasses or fumes that the material naturally emit gets worse. However, based on the article, it's pretty obvious that foam is much safer to work with than resin/bondo. So, like you, it probably will not stop me from working with a fresh pack either.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

No problem, I think from what I've read it effects children more then adults anyways, so hopefully when heating up it up kids arnt around. Just something to keep in mind.

See look, I knew I was doing something right by waiting a couple months to start my build. My foam's been sitting in my storage closet outside since I got it in September, I honestly just haven't had time to do anything with it, however, it was all just me knowing that I needed to wait and let it air out :p

i would say a mask or breather would be worse in some ways to use just be in a well ventilated area and you should be fine also dont sit there for hour after hour make sure to get fresh air now and then, and if all else fails at least the positive to potential poisoning is that if the armour isnt wearable then it could be a modern art piece (speaking of art is there a gallery of halo stuff anywhere?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back