• 9-11 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >11 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazuam

First of all, before I make myself look like an idiot, how long does it take people here to make an entire high detail mk6 helm?

I'm starting to look at some peoples models and how they perfectly score every line, use elmer's glue, etc.

My Idea is Origami. I've been doing origami for ten years now (since I was 6), just in my free time, and I've gotten to the point where I can make very precise folds. What I think is that if one would do origami in one's free time, one could make very precise folds with ease. I'm not going to post how long it takes me to do a helmet yet, though, cause I don't know if I'm any faster than regular people.

Anyway, with origami, you can kind of see the way the paper wants to fold, and make crisp, clean folds according to that. Most pep pieces are like this, using folds where the paper want's to fold.

I think you can skip the scoring process completely with a little origami practice, and still have you helmet come out as clean as a scored helmet. (both of mine have, and I never score)

Ive never sat down and counted my hours... It took me the span of a month to finish my helmet. but it was my first pep, and I took my time. I'd figure the 10-15 hour range... if not 20. But I never strait up pep. I'll always be watching tv or something. kill the time. makes the pep slow and smooth, and the product is MUCH better than if I had rushed it. at least with my skill... :)

Origami paper is very thin compared to cardstock and sometimes the fold stops somewhere in the middle of a piece.

Scoring cardstock is essential to get crisp and sharp folds. Print out one page of card stock with the High-Def Mk. VI helmet pieces and try folding without scoring.

It's not necessary, but scoring makes your life easier and is definitely worth it.

Anyway, it all comes down to practice, I don't score some pieces if they shouldn't have edges, but are meant to be round, that seems to work well, but if you need an edge, imo, scoring is the way to go.

Haven't even tried a high def, but the old model helmet took me something like 15 hours. I'm slow, I know, but hey, it gets done and looks decent.

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you - I just took it as a given - I'm making them out of cardstock.

I'm done with this idea, since nobody thinks it's good, but I think everybody who does pepakura should at least try origami and start to recognize folds and where they should be. It takes me 3-5 hours: 1.5 hours to cut everything out and 2.5-3.5 hours to glue everything together.

I'd be interested in seeing a video of someone completing a HD helmet in 2 hours....how they fold, cut, glue etc. Alternatively if someone could post a video of them doing all the cutting, folding, and gluing for a HD Flying Squirl right jaw in 8-10 minutes that would be cool too. Based on some really rough estimating, that would put them on track for a completed helmet in about 2-4 hours.

No one can tell you how to do your pieces. Find the way you're confortable with, and keep it ^^

Took me 25 hrs to make Flying_Squirl latest helmet with my unfold.

Don't use my unfold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back