Fiberglass: Mat vs Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volgon

Jr Member
hey everyone. I always hear people talking about fiberglass mat, but all my local hardware store sells it in is woven sheets which got me wondering; What are the pros and cons of each?

The two types commonly found are mat and cloth.

Fiberglass mat is the stronger of the two, able to maintain strength over big, open surfaces as well as complex curves and other shapes. It derives it's strength from the randomness of the fibers. There is little to no directionality in what little flexibility it has, so there is less of a chance for stress fractures from normal wear and tear. While it is stronger, it's also a little more difficult to work with than the cloth. If you are unaccustomed to fiberglassing, you'll likely end up with more of the fiberglass mat on your gloves than the item you're glassing!

Fiberglass cloth is the weaker of the two, but for costuming purposes it works just fine if you double up your layering (or even triple layer your work). It is the same exact material as the mat version, except that it has a woven, geometric arrangement to it instead of a random arrangement. The geometrical nature of it allows it to have a slight flexibility to it along it's grid axis, which can cause minor stress fractures if the part is significantly impacted. To combat this, multiple layers in alternating directions is recommended.

I prefer using cloth for most parts (including helmets) because it's a little less stressful to work it. However, if there is a larger or thinner part protruding from the body of my work piece, I'll use fiberglass mat on that portion, and especially along the joint to that piece. For most applications here, cloth works fine, but you may wish to reinforce certain areas with mat.

I like the woven clothe better myself. Is covers uniformed and give even strength where ever it is applied.

Mat is the exacted opposite for the mot part. I find it harder to work with. But its all personal preference. By both, see what you like better.

There is no reason to get the mat since cloth is strong enough for custumes. If I have a choice, I would not use both.

I bought two big rolls (2 inch wide) fiberglass cloth from US Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/. They were relatively cheap. I cut them in length and then put them on my kids' costumes. Unfortunately, resin is very sticky. Putting them and making the cloth to stay was very difficult. I am going with rondo this year.

I have used both on mine. Cloth (multiple layers) for the intricate detailed areas that the mat won't fit into and then mat for the flat areas. Even then I used muliple layers... just for that extra strength.

As mentoned before. Mat is stronger than Cloth.

Good luck with your build.

:)

On my build I did a layer of rondo and went over it with a layer of fiberglass mat. The rondo fills most of the details to make them hard and flatten the surface to put a nice layer of glass on the piece. Made my pieces rock hard!

On my build I did a layer of rondo and went over it with a layer of fiberglass mat. The rondo fills most of the details to make them hard and flatten the surface to put a nice layer of glass on the piece. Made my pieces rock hard!

I would have loved to have done that... but alas I was quite a Noob back then. I'll know for the next one.
:)

I know I am new here but, I do a lot of custom sub boxes and body work for friends and family. I use a layer of cloth then a layer of mat and then another layer of cloth resining each layer as I go until I get the right thickness for what I am doing. Hope my 2 cents will help someone.

I had that same problem, and to fix it I used spray adhesive glue which made it a whole lot easier to use. But if you use to much of it in one area it will morph it so dont go drowning a spot with glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back