Fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

idealJOSEPH

I went to buy fiberglass at Wal-Mart and I searched and searched and searched and couldn't find it. I asked an employee and they said they do not carry it. I am planning to go to Home Depot tomorrow and try to find some there. What exactly do I need? Does hardener come with fiberglass? Do I need to put something else inside the fiberglass? Thanks.

idealJOSEPH said:
I went to buy fiberglass at Wal-Mart and I searched and searched and searched and couldn't find it. I asked an employee and they said they do not carry it. I am planning to go to Home Depot tomorrow and try to find some there. What exactly do I need? Does hardener come with fiberglass? Do I need to put something else inside the fiberglass? Thanks.

Which were you looking for, fiberglass cloth or fiberglass resin? Fiberglass cloth is relatively useless without the resin, but depending on if you want to go with rondo or another method you may not need the cloth.

I've been to Home Depot, they no longer carry the fiberglass cloth. Didn't look there for the resin, but I actually got both resin and cloth at a local hardware store near my job (Virgil's in Glendale). Auto repair and boat shops would be one option since fiberglass is used frequently.

I know you may be looking for a different brand, but a quick search got this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Where-To-Buy/Corporate/?linkid=00ptsp

It shows locations to buy a 3m fiberglass resin based on the zip code you enter, and more than likely the stores listed will have a variety of other brands to choose from. Best of luck, dude.

Edit: And yes, resin generally comes with hardners, but you can buy separate tubes of hardner if you like to add a bunch and work really quick (personally I prefer to take my time lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Bondo for the detailing/smoothing. The resin and fiberglass are just for strengthening your armor.

Also get a respirator, safety goggles, and gloves. You don't want fiberglass or fumes in you.

they said that to me too they're dicks its back in the boat or automotive area in walmart... really cheap too i got it for round 11$

Well, if you want to better smooth your stuff, you will need to get body filler. Then you have to sand everything and make it nice and smooth. It IS possible to skip the bondo work all together which is what I have to do since I don't have the time to mess with all that, but I sprayed all my stuff with a grey primer and am sanding down some of the imperfections to make it look a little better.

Also, have you tried going to an auto store to buy your fiberglass? An auto store is where I went for all my supplies to harden my armor.

gakkengod said:
they said that to me too they're dicks its back in the boat or automotive area in walmart... really cheap too i got it for round 11$

$11??? :eek I got mine cheaper than that at the auto store! I only paid about $6 and got quite a bit too. :p

HaloGoddess said:
Well, if you want to better smooth your stuff, you will need to get body filler.

I agree, body filler is definately something to consider. All depends on how much your budget is, as well as your intended quality and time requirements.

When I was looking around my local Walmart I had a hard time finding the stuff, I even asked an employee and they told me the same thing. :lol Shows what help they are, but the resin and body filler is there. Its around the automotive department around the area where people take their cars to get oil changes if your Walmart has an auto shop thing in the back. My walmart didnt have the fiberglass cloth though, which is a bummer. I'm going to need a lot of it and dont know where to get it in bulk. The automotive stores here only have those little bags of it which will only harden 2-4 pieces at best if your doing 2 layers. I guess one could just go and buy a bunch of the little 8 sq ft bags of cloth but having a big roll of it would be better.

Fiberglass cloth is easy to come by online. Heck, you can even buy it on Amazon if you're willing to pay for shipping.

The fiberglass resin/bondo/safety equipment can all be bought at an Advance Auto Parts store. I'm not sure if you have them but they're everywhere in FL. They're not the cheapest, but they've always had what I need in stock.

Oh, and if you work with the resin I suggest you invest in some acid brushes with metal handles. Not paint brushes. You can get a pack of 12 very cheap online. They'll last longer for what you want to do, and they can double as paint brushes if you need :) Good luck!

You can buy the fiberglass on Ebay. It comes in whatever size, weight you want it to and alot of the suppliers have free shipping. Just bought 50 yards of 1.4oz fiberglass cloth for $50 with free shipping..

I used one of those packages of the just fiberglass not the fiberglass mat and I did my entire chest and helmet with only one bag. I didn't think it would be all that much but it actually went a long way. It was only like 5 bucks at Bi-Mart.

I picked up the fiberglass at Home Depot (Isle 7, Labeled paint [brushes, etc] at the very end.) but I was wondering if I need this Fiberglass cloth/mat? Can I fiberglass without it?

You will use the resin to harden, and then you will need to find some way to reinforce, most of which involve either fiberglass cloth or mat. I am a die hard cloth guy, its so much easier to work into details.

Brandon McClain said:
You will use the resin to harden, and then you will need to find some way to reinforce, most of which involve either fiberglass cloth or mat. I am a die hard cloth guy, its so much easier to work into details.

Yeah I was at the store the other day and looked at a bag that had the fiberglass mat in it. I must say, it doesnt look very comfortable at all. Like a bunch of tiny needles, I'll never put that in my helmet or codpiece. Still no luck on a store that carries it in bulk, and theres no boat place in sight where I live. I guess I'll have to resort to the internets or buy a bunch of little packs. Whichever is cheapest.

Monicator said:
Yeah I was at the store the other day and looked at a bag that had the fiberglass mat in it. I must say, it doesnt look very comfortable at all. Like a bunch of tiny needles, I'll never put that in my helmet or codpiece. Still no luck on a store that carries it in bulk, and theres no boat place in sight where I live. I guess I'll have to resort to the internets or buy a bunch of little packs. Whichever is cheapest.

Trust me fibeglass mat is not at fearful as it looks. once you resin the fiberglass down it becomes hard and unpricky, its super tough and can get little pricks stuck in your skin which makes it really itchy. Fiberglass cloth on the other hand is the eact opposite including strenght. all in all, Having one layer of fiberglass mat then one layer of fiberglass cloth is the way to go.

Have to agree with Mjolnir Follower, I usually use 2 layers of matt and once that is dried go over it in spots that are sharp and stick up with a dremel sanding tool, then make that final layer out of cloth. Leaves you with a very nice surface.

You certainly can go without the mat and/or cloth, it just depends on how durable you'd like to make your piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back