*Finished(?) Pg 12* 13-Year-Old's Non-Toxic Spartan-III build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow 2r5

Jr Member
Hello, 405th. I'm a 13 year old and I plan to make a full body suit by this Halloween. It only took me two days to Pep a CQB helm and about 6 hours for the two Handplates. I plan to make everything Mk VI except the helmet. I want to use the hot glue method instead of Fiberglass. I have a few questions.

Can you use any temp hot glue?

If my Helmet is a little warped, how can I center some parts?

I scaled my Chestpiece a bit too big. Hopefully I'll grow into it but it's about an inch too wide. Any way to fix, or just wait?

My helmet was scaled at 270 height, Handplates at 87 width, and scale 67 for the chestpiece by ROBOGENESIS. I'll probably have to use the length for scaling my boots, as I have girly small feet (I'm a size 5 mens, and my friend who's shorter than me is already a 7).

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Pictures coming soon.

UPDATE: I'm converting this to a Reach build, and this is what I plan to build:

I'm going to stick with my already pepped MkVI helmet and shoulders. Shhhhh... If someone asks, the shoulders are FJ/PARA, ok?
I'm also going with default chest, Grenadier knees, and a TacPad

hey man! sorry not to answer most of your questions, but I just wanted to say that making an halo armor is way more difficult than you may think. doing the correct scale for a 13 year old may be quite difficult.

-so your helmet is warped... perhaps if it is too big you may use filling material, but not too many! I am not an expert in pep so I can't tell you what material. but anyways, you may start thinking with other helmets, perhaps EVA?
-you should really consider on making a different armor than robogenesis. many of the armors are based on real spartans. that makes the armor in the muscles and torax bigger than you may expect, as a personal advice, maybe some filling material on to the chest may make it a bit better. but remember you are growing!

but otherwise, with some money and free time, great things can happen!

Hey welcome to the forums bud! I read your post and admire your preserverance for that due date. However, some of your problems may be an easy fix.

For the off-centered helmet, you could possibly use bondo and alot of detailing to center it out

As for your chest piece, you can use foam mats on the inside to push it out and fit your body, and when you grow, uninstall them.

And also MEH WANTZ PICTUREZ NAO!!!!!! lol :p

Hello, 405th. I'm a 13 year old and I plan to make a full body suit by this Halloween. Best of luck to you, however I have the same deadline and I have been working around 2-3 hours per day since March and I'm still pretty far from completion. It only took me two days to Pep a CQB helm and about 6 hours for the two Handplates. I plan to make everything Mk VI except the helmet. I want to use the hot glue method instead of Fiberglass. I have a few questions.

Can you use any temp hot glue?
Hot glue is going to be, well, hot, hot enough to burn you if that's what you're wondering. If you plan to use the hot glue hardening method, (which I don't recommend) then make sure to not use hot glue to per your pieces. If you pep with hot glue, when you pour in your hot glue to harden it, the heat will un-glue all of the tabs held with hot glue because they will melt and your helmet will collapse into a gooey hot glue ball.
If my Helmet is a little warped, how can I center some parts?
You can glue in support struts made of cardboard or cardstock and use those to push and pull parts of the helmet to fix the warping.
I scaled my Chestpiece a bit too big. Hopefully I'll grow into it but it's about an inch too wide. Any way to fix, or just wait?
The only real way to fix scaling issues it to re-size and redo. Then again, like you said, you can wait until you grow into it.
My helmet was scaled at 270 height, Handplates at 87 width, and scale 67 for the chestpiece by ROBOGENESIS. I'll probably have to use the length for scaling my boots, as I have girly small feet (I'm a size 5 mens, and my friend who's shorter than me is already a 7).

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Pictures coming soon. Just a tip, wait until you have pictures to show before starting your thread, it will merit many more replies!

Hope I helped you. If you can I'd look into getting resin to use to fiberglass, as they will greatly increase the strength of your pieces. If toxicity the problem then I'd suggest looing into aqua resin. It's pricy, but it's nontoxic and works the same way as regular resin in terms of strength combined with fiberglass, which is not toxic by the way, its just fibers.

lol great job on the peps! glad to see someone who is younger than me make better progress than some newb adults :p Do you have anyone to help out with the project? because on your own, you have to pretty much work each day..till halloween. so i hope you will have an adult to help with some parts like melting the hotglue on a stove and painting it. because when i made a suit by myself when i was 13, it turned out horrible(might of been because the paper machae warped everything). :p adult help can really pay off.
and for those who dont like clicking links, here are the pics he posted.
img0220xd.jpg

img0223o.jpg

Sorry, but I don't have pictures. I'm not hosting them on any sites so I can't post the URL, and I can't add attachments.

EDIT: I now made an instant account for the pictures on Imageshack.

First, the helmet:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3008/img0220xd.jpg

As you can hopefully see, the lower part of the helmet is a bit off center.

Next, the handplates:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5763/img0223o.jpg

Nothing special, just handplates.

Wow, this forum has a lot of traffic.

Nice pep work! If you don't want to go through the hassel of trying to bondo your way out of warpage you can always try to fix it in the hardening stage. What I try to do is make a sort of structural support that allows the piece to harden looking now warped. The resin and fiberglass (i'm assuming you're using this method) should be able to retain the corrected shape over just cardstock and hot glue. Try to correct the problem in this stage by adding in struts or maybe even a foam filler inside of the helmet first. You definitely don't want to spend too much time on the bondo trying to correct your warp because it'll make the work time 10 times longer. Hope this helped your problem with the warpage!

As for the chest piece if it's just an inch too big dont worry about it. You can always just add in some foam fillers like the post above advised. Also, you're only 13 so you will grow into your costume. I would much rather make a bigger costume at that age because if it fits just right now in a few years time it won't. It would be a shame to have a costume that you invested so much time into but can't wear because you didn't account for growth space. All in all best of luck on your build! You're doing great so far! Keep up the good work!

For the pepping, I have no help. As for the reinforcements I plan to do, my dad will help me on Sundays. Since I'm still on summer break, I'm working all day. I try to get as much done as possible before next Wednesday, when school starts. When that comes, I'll finish homework as fast as I can and work on pepping.

EDIT: Just to clear things up, the reason I'm worrying it's to big is that when I try the completed back portion of my armor, the edges go into where my shoulder armor should go. It's also a bit uncomfortable do to it being to wide.

For the pepping, I have no help. As for the reinforcements I plan to do, my dad will help me on Sundays. Since I'm still on summer break, I'm working all day. I try to get as much done as possible before next Wednesday, when school starts. When that comes, I'll finish homework as fast as I can and work on pepping.

EDIT: Just to clear things up, the reason I'm worrying it's to big is that when I try the completed back portion of my armor, the edges go into where my shoulder armor should go. It's also a bit uncomfortable do to it being to wide.

glad im not the only one who still has last minute homework XD
but for that shoulder armor, you may have to adjust some parts.. if your shoulders aren't broad enough, you may have to deal with a smaller chest to allow movement.

Well, I just made the neck part of the chest piece, and my head is too big to fit. Are you supposed to trim it like the helmet?

More photos like with the armor on you would help. The chest has to be seperated into 2 sections the front and back. Post a photo of the torso armor and I'll make lines for you where it needs to be cut at after you do the resining, etc. to it.

I'm not finished with the chestpiece itself yet, just the back part and most of the top. Also, will I need a different method of cutting if I use the hot glue method?

Hey All! Great Work BTW!!!

One quick thing. I cant create a new thread for the WIP I am currently working on. i dont know if i had be restricted due to being gone for a while or what. can someone help?

a lot of things have changed on here. nice pep work! im going to be posting my ODST WIP soon. you should check it out.

Mad props on the speed! a helmet in what was it a day? thats hella fast compared to my week long peps. sometimes its better to go slow to get things started. especialy on helmets and the smaller detailed parts. as for the hot glue method i really dont reccomend it. you will be buying a shiz ton of glue sticks. that method is mainly used for smaller moving parts such as finger armor or the joints connecting armor pieces.

Good luck!

It's 10:30 here right now, so my progress has been put on hold. I don't have access to my PC again, so pics tomorrow.

I've read mostly positive feedback on the Hot Glue Method thread, but I haven't read the whole thing. I don't think price should be a problem because at my local dollar store, they sell High Temp 20 packs of Mini Glue Gun size sticks. As for resining, I just don't like having time pressure, and of course my parents would mostly likely not let me handle it, even with supervision. I don't think I'll be Bondo-ing either, as I'll grow out of this eventually. Maybe when I'm 18 or so and have stopped growing, I'll put a lot more time and money into a costume, but then there's the chance Halo would probably be outdated. Though five years isn't THAT long.

Right now, all I need reinforcement-wise, is I want to be able to jog in it (jogging just to get around faster, not for excercise) and show off to my friends.

Hey dude. The first set of armor can be very frustrating, don't give up, you'll get better. Also, I would have suggested saving the helmet for last, especially if this is your first, because then you sort of have an idea of how it goes, and the helmet has to be P-E-R-F-E-C-T. It is what draws the most attention.

With your wraping prob, what I did was resin, put cross supports to push the warped part outward the way it needed to go.

With your chest piece, don't rely on growing into it, it can easily be fixed by tightening the under arm "buckles"

I'm starting work again on the chestpiece. I saw some videos on Youtube of Normal Detail parts, and they look way to polygonal. Since I won't be using Bondo, I'm gonna have to use some HD files, since they're smoother. I'll use Normal Detail for the chestpiece, cod, shoulders, and boots. Since the thigh armor I saw on Youtube looked really bad without bondo, I'm gonna try HD on that, the shins and forearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back