First attempts at foam armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is my first attempt at foam. Not as good as i would like but considering i have never done anything like this before, i am not to upset. Privateer is a local friend and has helped amazingly. please comments and critisim is welcome. As a noob, the first thing i have done for the last 9 days is read the stickies after watching the intro vid. Privateer recomended i do things in the right order so here is to trying.

S6300012.jpg

lowerarm

S6300015.jpg

upper arm

Attachments

• S6300012.jpg
    S6300012.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 119
  • S6300015.jpg
    S6300015.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 121
Nice work. quick question how did you get the rounded edges. Im doing foam armor as well so any tips would be helpful.

The rounded edges were with a sanding block, the "blackness " to the foam was useing a heat gun to burn the foam. Hardends the edges,and seems to tighten the foam. Be carefull tho, it does carry the heat and will burn you. Also heat it before hot glueing,or your glue will run. :) found out the hard way! LoL!

Hey! Nice job. ^^ looks like foam is getting popular for a good reason.
Your signature is hilarious.

thx, i work in a tattoo shop so the saying is truely universal! :) I was introduced to the foam by Privateer and he has sorta mentored me thru my first attempt. But he hasnt seen it yet, also the purple and yello parts arnt paint, it's colored craft foam. after heating it slightly you can paint it also. Any ideas from anyone about colors. I was thinking EOD brown.

SWEET Stuff! i hope my forearms come out as good as yours! My personal Favorite color for armor is yellow, but thats me. also yellow and blue make a cool mix

well acctually, that is purple and yellow craft foam, not paint. The armor will end up a bronze/brown color when painted with a camo pattern. I am currently reworking a new set of forarms to be truer to the details of the regular suits. Once i know they work out i will post templates so others can try it. seems to be working tho. I found a great way to do panel lines today.

Useing a metal strait edge, wearing gloves, i draw on all my lines, then i slowly burn them in with a wood burning tool and go very shallow over the surface. You get clean strait panel lines!

Will post picks tomorrow if everything works out well.

Well after looking at alot of photos of peps, i realised i could do better with the forarms, so i redid my templates.

templates.jpg

Then i spent about 1 hour recutting foam and craft foam.
partslaidout.jpg

I planeed to use parrachute clips so added them as well as strapping after heating the foam and bending into shape.
parachutestraps.jpg

After adding the straps, i layered on craft foam to make a smooth shell.
addingpanels2.jpg

continued below

Attachments

• templates.jpg
    templates.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 119
  • addingpanels2.jpg
    addingpanels2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 119
  • parachutestraps.jpg
    parachutestraps.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 132
  • partslaidout.jpg
    partslaidout.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 115
after adding the shell needed to start building up detail to match the screenshots and peps i had seen.
addingdetails.jpg

After adding the "GPS box" added more detail and bas relief.
backsidefinished.jpg

Then it was add more detail and finish. Armor warn by me ready to paint.
IMG]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy118/1jimbo/outerwarn.jpg[/IMG]
innerwarn.jpg

Hope you like it. Backto work on the left arm. Hopefully after i finish it, all small mods to the armor for the lower arm will be finished.
C+C welcomed as well as questions.

thx,
jimbo

Attachments

• addingdetails.jpg
    addingdetails.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 120
  • backsidefinished.jpg
    backsidefinished.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 132
  • innerwarn.jpg
    innerwarn.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 116
thats awsome!
I just started pepakura and I'm feeling that I have to test foaming also ^^

After i work out the kinks, i will post the templates to this. It was alot easier than i thought it would be. After i finish the left arm tonight i will modge podege the whole piece to add stiffness and a base for the paint. Glad you guys like it! :) makes the momentum easier!

I wouldn't use the modge podge. Not sure how it will work on the bigger foam but it cracks really easily on the foamies. Even worse on the thicker 1/4'' foamies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back