First build: Foam halo reach custom spartan (probably Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow . Amazing work so far.

How long did u work with foam to have these skills now?

And nice painting / weathering ! :D

Wow . Amazing work so far.

How long did u work with foam to have these skills now?

And nice painting / weathering ! :D

Thanks man! Basically, this is my first contact with foam, ever xD Although i have been working with some other materials, it was never on this level, so what you see is what you get! :D

And on that note, another update! It's smaller than the last one, but boy is it more important xD
Here are the pics! ^^'
imag0310p.jpg

imag0311d.jpg

imag0313f.jpg

Thats some majorly shitty picture quality... i blame it on the rain! :C
So basically, i went by the book on this one! THe paint sceme is as usual green and blue, and everything is painted like the game counterpart!
This needs a bit of detail work though, and i might "dirty it up" once i get some more black paint (i ran out) so it looks a little more weathered and not just silver ish...
However, that is a lot because of the light, too...
I'll finish the post with a contextual picture instead, which definitely shows a better view of it! :D
imag0309j.jpg

The back! This is everything that is painted so far, tested with too thicker jackets underneath. I really like the texture of the top jacket, i think i'll use something like that... But not with a hood THIS big! xD this is insane... -.-' It will probably look a bit better with some cloth there. Maybe i didn't mention it, but i'm making the jun chest-customization!
imag0308uy.jpg

Aaaaand front, happy building 405th! :D

Finally, one week off for halloween!
It's time to complete this sucker! (dunno if anybody cares anymore?)
Anyway, the boots are done, and i'll post some pics ASAP!
happy buildin 405th!

We're still watching you... um, in the non creepy way. The details look good. I can't wait to see you finish!

Oh cool, i didn't realize i still had a following o_O

well, then i'll just go ahead and make my first update for this week!
Just hoping that i'll be able to finish it this week... since assassins creed 3 comes out on wednesday xD oh well, let's get on with it!

What i did this time was pretty much finish up the boots, both paint and function (ALMOST, i'll get back to that)...
It just follows the same paint scheme as the rest of the armor, so i kept on with the blue and black legpiece colours!
The weathering turned out pretty nice, at least on the back part of the boots...
Thing is, i'm kind of running out of materials, both paint and "plasti-dip" so i figured i would have to save a bit... Therefore, I decided to skip the plasti-dip on the boots, since they where going to look REALLY dirty and weathered anyway... It didnt turn out half bad actually! The paint didnt turn out that clean, but i don't really care... it works just fine, and it actually gave the boots that "weathered" look that i was going for.
Anyway, on with the pics!
imag0348r.jpg

imag0349w.jpg

I tried to make some sort of mechanism that would allow me to easily tie my shoes and then attach the final piece of the armor, without difficulty... Turns out that making this mechanic would be a real pain in the ass xD i decided to put two ends of a string on each side of the "plate", and then pull the string around my heel and under the shoe to secure the plate in place, and then tie the string to something... It works, just not that well... I'm going to have to look into it, and try to come up with something better...
Anyway, with the current technique, it looks like this:
imag0351n.jpg

imag0352um.jpg

imag0353cr.jpg

It's pretty hard to see here, but i dirtied the bottom of the "metal" part a lot with some green and brown acrylics... Turned out awesome, if not a bit too little...
I really like the way these turned out!
Hope the shins turns out half as good, since they are still a bit too short and wide :C
Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion on how to attatch the front-plates in a good way, please, say it!
Thanks for keeping with me, even though i've been lazy the last time ;p
happy building 405th! :D

Well, i guess it'll be a double update xD
This one is BIIIG!
I am officially finished with the base!
I painted everything that was left this morning, and the results are pretty darn awesome!
I might post a more in-depth update on each individual part... but from now on, it's detailing time all the way!
oh, and i still have to figure out the boots and kneepads... And ALL of the strapping xD
I'll leave you with a few pictures!
sidek.png

side view
namnlsbd.png

front-ish
headless.png

helmets off spartans!
classicn.png

Finish it off with my classical pose!
Happy buildin 405th!

Half of the lights are in!
Sadly the pictures turned out awful... i do not like the HTC camera xD
oh well, you will get the picture ^^'
imag0363a.jpg

imag0364ek.jpg

Dat light... my camera did not like those ultrabright LEDs xD
Basically, what i did was go with a couple of regular 20Ma ultrablue LEDs in the chestpiece, linked together to a 9V battery through parallel links... I split the light up by cutting up plastics from soda bottles, sanded them to give it a "frosted" look, and attached them with glue...
The lights on the helmet needed a bit more of a bright look, since they will work as a flashlight... Therefore, i went with a couple of ultrabright 90MA White LEDs, and appearently my camera did not like these. However, they really work for what they need to xD
imag0365i.jpg

This picture was taken in absolute darkness, on about a range of 3 meters...
imag0368t.jpg

imag0369a.jpg

A bit of a blurry image gallery right here, but it shows the deal with the lights!
And for all the people intrested in how i did this, here are some progress pics!
imag0366m.jpg

I attached a power switch on the side of the helmet, so that i can easily turn on or off the lights in the helmet!
imag0370k.jpg

I'll finish off with a picture of the wiring inside of the chestpiece... nothing special, it's really easy if you have any sort of experience with LEDS!

Happy building 405th!

Well, small update time! this might be the last one before the end... i'm 98% done with what i aimed to accomplish!
I'll just post the pics and tell you what i've done!
img0579ij.jpg

classic pose, this time, all the lights are finished! :D
I'm so close now, i can taste it xD i also made all the necessary strapping, so it stays up now, and i padded the helmet aswell, to make it fit!
img0584ez.jpg

Just a pic to show off the lights! i just kind of threw the suit on, thats why it looks so shabby :C
I really need to find a different jacket, since this one looks horrible xD i look fat! o_O
img0586xm.jpg

Back view, where my helmet looks huge! o_O oh well, good enough for a first go at it xD
img0587si.jpg

and finish with the whole thing! only thing missing is the foot plate-thingy, since i still have to figure that crap out xD
And also the jacket problem... might have to tuck them into my pants xDD
oh well

happy building 405th! the next update will be a completion update! ^^'

Hey, I was going through your previous shots and noticed your bracelet being able to hold your phone and you were a bit down about not being able to use it. This should help you out. =] 1:00 in.

He says using Thermal Paste on gloves will help produce connectivity and the touchscreen would work with them on. I haven't tested it, but you could give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good set of boots you've made. I'm quite tempted to rebuild mine at the mo and I think I may base them on yours :)

Thanks man! If you do, plaese tell me how you attached the front plates, cause i can't seem to find a good way xD

By front plate I guess you mean the bit across the top front?
Basically on my current boots as rather than use a template I scratch built from ref pics, I saw that the front plate actually extends down to the heel so I made it with those extensions and attached it on to the heel allowing movement from the toe section still. My recommendation to you is just make that piece again and bigger so it extends that far. I wouldn't recommend just making some extensions for it because obviously the boot is under a lot of stress and the less joins the less chance for breaks.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back