First Foam Build Halo 3 Mark VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redheadwolf

Hello all!
Just started in my first build. I've been working up to actually doing it for years and years but I was too scared. Hoping to finish by March 3rd for ECCC but I'm not too hopeful since I'll be on a trip for a week between now and then.

Here's what I've got so far:

Chest
pUrBc9.jpg

Kczwxk.jpg

Forearm
5EznQg.jpg

Shoulder
o3anPV.jpg

Thighs
M981aB.jpg

Overall I like what I've done, although I wish I didn't do the chest piece first, since I've figured out better ways to do things or simplify cuts. Sizing is really difficult since my limbs are pretty skinny compared to MC's lol. I'll take any and all advice! I do plan on adding details to pieces.

PnfGNL.jpg

nice build! You're already almost done! you're foam work is really clean! for detailing, you can also 'score' the foam with a razor blade, and use a heat gun on the score mark. this will open up the score cut, and make some very cool details. just a tip.:)

nice build! You're already almost done! you're foam work is really clean! for detailing, you can also 'score' the foam with a razor blade, and use a heat gun on the score mark. this will open up the score cut, and make some very cool details. just a tip.:)

Thanks, and great idea!

Oops, I forgot the 'welcome' thing...

well, Welcome to the 405th! you seem to have done your homework, considering you've done this well!
I hope you enjoy your time here, and keep up the good work!

Redheadwolf, nicely done. Clean lines and overall solid base. I'm intrigued by the inner thigh overlapping armor pieces. Can you give us some detail on how you constructed it and what material you used?

Redheadwolf, nicely done. Clean lines and overall solid base. I'm intrigued by the inner thigh overlapping armor pieces. Can you give us some detail on how you constructed it and what material you used?
So for the inner thigh, I essentially just used the normal template. But found out that my thighs aren't as big around as Master Chiefs. So I took a few liberties with the outside of the armor, and glued the inside of the thighs in layers. (I'm doing the hot glue way) I'm using 3mm craft foamies for the inner thighs, as well as the details and raised parts. I always thought that part looked neat, so I tried to make it look like how I imagine. :D

nice! well, you're doing a great job! thanks for sharing some tips!

also, at this rate, you'll be able to get this done by ECCC easily. I'm a bit of a noob as well, and i'll be at ECCC on sunday. I might see you there.

Alright! It's been slow going for me, procrastination I suppose, plus the weather has been too cold for me to start plastidipping! Except for today of course! I used some sandable plaster to fill in the gaps.
Nyr4F1.jpg

Next I sanded
WlzoVw.jpg

Then I did a lot of layers of plastidip.
RSIRuF.jpg

dFbVKT.jpg

That was when I figured out that it's a poor choice to spray plastidip when it's cold. The final two layers I made were today and they went on FAR smoother. Hopefully next build will be much better, since I've learned so much!

Unfortunately I won't be able to work on anything until next Wednesday, since I'll be away! Here's hoping I can finish it by March 5th!

yeah, keep at it! you're so close to the end! the plaster is very interesting; I'll be trying that soon, it has a very nice result!

I've been upgrading my old suit, so I'm hoping I can finish my stuff as well. :)
I'm sure I'll see you armored up at ECCC.
I was trying to get PerniciousDuke to come, but he won't go without armor :(

Nope. but there is always next year mblackwell1002 ;)

Redheadwolf - Great progress! I think you'll be able to get it if you can nail down a few more evenings to it. If not, just chip away at it an hour at a time. Your H3 MC is looking really good. Don't forget that he had some pretty nasty battle damage from his fall from space. :eek: <-- (my face if falling from space, not his... his is more like this :cool: )

That's true... Do people usually add battle damage before or after the main paint color? For general weathering I'd see it being afterwards.

I think I'm gonna go red team ;)

But, but...If you're red, you're dead! are you sure red is best? :cautious:

Blue for the win!!! :D woohoo! I plan on a H5 blue Recruit armor someday...then the battle begins!

Serious battle damage is usually before you paint. Weathering and chips can be painted on afterwards. So far the coolest battle damage I've seen is by Cm Palmer. In her incredibly wonderful build thread she shows how she cut material away and then added hot glue blobs to give the appearance of molten metal, then painted it.

Forum tip, you should quote or mention people if you are responding to them in your thread. That way they see it. ( example: @ symbol then immediately start typing their name, result = Redheadwolf)

Suck it Blue!

So! I've done my boots and shins finally!
ir2ZgR.jpg

I had to do a lot of customizations to the shin pieces since I don't have man calves (sadly, LOL)
LhlDkF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back