First progress on flying_squirl pep helmet by DoC ByTeS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice job on the helmet. I absolutely love it. I find however that the more high detailed a helmet gets the harder it gets to glass it. But good job so far in the details.

DoC ByTeS said:
Thanks and I'm glad to see somebody has been reading my posts completely ;) . You are right I use fiberglass jelly instead of the metal glaze.

Hey now... if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were directing that comment at me for my last post, buddy... :p J/k

Thanks for the correction, blakiki. To be honest, I'd forgotten about the difference in materials used. Smoothed and primered, it looked the same, and so I assumed they were.

And yeah, if Doc's gauntlets are any indication, this helmet is going to be just as awesome! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a new type of bondo, or something like it anyway. Its made from metal and resin. When cured it looks like aluminum. Not sure of the price, but if I can find it Ill get the name and manufacturer. It would add a level of reslism to weathering effects, since it would look like real metal underneath.

Darth-Malevelus said:
I found a new type of bondo, or something like it anyway. Its made from metal and resin. When cured it looks like aluminum. Not sure of the price, but if I can find it Ill get the name and manufacturer. It would add a level of reslism to weathering effects, since it would look like real metal underneath.

Sweet let me know what you find out.

DoC ByTeS said:
New helmet mod on second to last FS pep.

What do ya think?

I think it's lookin pretty awesome! How close would you guess you are to completion / being satisfied with it?

Ruze789 said:
I think it's lookin pretty awesome! How close would you guess you are to completion / being satisfied with it?

Couple days, then I'll fine tune it and start to mold it for others to enjoy.

Darth-Malevelus said:
Hey and if you find out what the stuff is called please pm me about it i would love to use this for some of my helmets.

xobx said:
Did you fiberglass the inside or did you just use the fiberglas jelly thingy?

I coated the cardstock with fiberglass to harden the paper, then I did the inside and out with jelly.

Mmmm Jelly.

I think you are doing a really nice job on the helmet this is one of the few helmets I have seen worthy of mentioning again in the years to come. Some I really like are SB's, Spase's, YOURS!!, Adam's, BlueRealms, and some others that I really cannot remember their names.

SPARTAN405 said:
Mmmm Jelly.

I think you are doing a really nice job on the helmet this is one of the few helmets I have seen worthy of mentioning again in the years to come. Some I really like are SB's, Spase's, YOURS!!, Adam's, BlueRealms, and some others that I really cannot remember their names.
up there with the best!

I have more sanding and alittle shaping, but I think I got the back looking pretty good. Now to sand down the other side and paint!

I got some questions, I am planning on restarting my helmet since it just came out bad, and I now see this, anyways, after seeing your post, I was given hope, I will use flying's model and make PEP, could you please give a short list of the supplies you used and a summary of what you did in order? Like for example:step one, cut out and fold, step two glue together, etc etc.

That is just about the most amazing PEP helm I have seen, it looks like a molded helm, awsome job, and aside from some very tiny imperfections that you probably still haven't sanded, it looks perfect.

PillowFire said:
I got some questions, I am planning on restarting my helmet since it just came out bad, and I now see this, anyways, after seeing your post, I was given hope, I will use flying's model and make PEP, could you please give a short list of the supplies you used and a summary of what you did in order? Like for example:step one, cut out and fold, step two glue together, etc etc.

That is just about the most amazing PEP helm I have seen, it looks like a molded helm, awsome job, and aside from some very tiny imperfections that you probably still haven't sanded, it looks perfect.

Thank you, I'm try'n to fix the min. details now. I will finish up tomorrow, then I'm going to start writing the tutorial tomorrow night (I know sorry guys been very busy).

DoC, in that tut I would LOVE it if you talked more than a little about this fiberglass jelly, so people can decide better between bondo/FG jelly/metal glaze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back