Foam Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagtagVenom

ive seen 3D print files, I’ve seen Pep files; one thing I haven’t seen all too much is Foam Files; like flies specifically for building out of foam, because if you use the pep files you end up not needing every piece and it’s really hard to make that distinction for a novice like me haha
So my question is, is there a directory of sorts to find a specific foam file? Or a method for converting pep files to foam builds?

ive seen 3D print files, I’ve seen Pep files; one thing I haven’t seen all too much is Foam Files; like flies specifically for building out of foam, because if you use the pep files you end up not needing every piece and it’s really hard to make that distinction for a novice like me haha
So my question is, is there a directory of sorts to find a specific foam file? Or a method for converting pep files to foam builds?
So foam files are pepakura files with some parts removed. If you look through the armory, open an armor set, and if there are foam files, they should be labeled as foam

Also RagtagVenom when you unzip the armor set it will have a bunch of .pdo's those are gonna be the regular pep files. The foam ones are usually in their own folder called foam.

Last edited:
Yeah, public computers are not usually permitted to unzip files as it is a risky move. This site is safe though.

Well if you know what you want PM me and I can print out some templates for you. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that. Shipping to you would only be like $5.

That’d be awesome... except I still don’t know what files I need; that’s why I made that other thread; looking for sleek, good looking, easy to build armor pieces for the shoulders, Fore arms, thighs, shins, and butt playe

So I figured out I wanna do all Hellcat for every other section; I just have to track down those files; I know Phil unfolded the Chest piece for foam, but I’m not sure if the rest got done

Well if you know what you want PM me and I can print out some templates for you. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that. Shipping to you would only be like $5.

Hi PerniciousDuke, Sorry for butting in,
But I too am looking for foam files mainly kat's complete armour set from Halo reach, the ones that I have don't have the armour I'm looking for and are for men, being female this poses quit the problem what with the boobs and all, second they aren't foam, Any help would be much appreciated. :oops:

Last edited:
Thank you for the link Lieutenant Jaku, I was looking at it last night but dismissed it as the wrong set when I downloaded it. However if chest piece being the most important part is right, I could use it and find the other parts as I go. I've worked with card before but never foam, short of holding my hand is there any advice you can give me ? thanks again for your time ;)

Thank you for the link Lieutenant Jaku, I was looking at it last night but dismissed it as the wrong set when I downloaded it. However if chest piece being the most important part is right, I could use it and find the other parts as I go. I've worked with card before but never foam, short of holding my hand is there any advice you can give me ? thanks again for your time ;)
Since being new to foam try to do practice bits to get used to the medium. Try going to EvilTed's or Punished Props website. They have some free templates of generic helmet and gauntlets that are perfect to practice with.
When cutting foam make sure to have a really sharp box cutter/exacto knife. Foam can dull a blade very quickly. You'll know when your blade is dull when the knife doesn't glide through the foam. You will feel it kind of catching onto the foam and tearing. Either have lots of spare blades on hand or to save money, invest in a blade sharpener.
Try not to use a sawing/back and forth motion when cutting foam. Use smooth single stroke. Metal rulers are you friend for straight cuts.
When it comes to putting things together Hot glue can be used. Be mindful not to use too much. Too much glue can cause gaps in areas that should have a nice clean seam.
An alternative and Foamsmith favourite is using Barge contact cement. It is on the pricey side and not always available locally.

Kat wears the default Female Mark V armor that Jaku already posted for Her chest, cod and posterior, thighs, shins, boot armor, hand plates, and forearms. Her helmet is the AA helmet which has an attachment that appears to be the FC-I, albeit without the UA Attachment.

Her shoulders are the FJ/PARA variants and she has a tactical hard case on her left thigh. So, to round out Kat you will need the following entries:
Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - Accessories
Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - Air Assault
This one has the boot armor:
Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - Standard

This thread also has some good Kat resources, even if it is very old and the OP is no longer active on the Forums.
KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Thank you Cadet and Paiganboi, as always a GREAT community(y), though I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions. I feel I'm almost ready to start my first build now that I've had a lot of help from you guyz. Last question the sizing for the foam armour, is it the same as when you working with card?

Scaling parts for foam can depend on the thickness of the foam. The most common thickness is 10mm foam floor mats. When using 10mm there is a good chance that you may have to increase the scale of the part slightly to allow for thickness.
Another common thickness is 6mm. Obviously thinner than 10mm.
I can't confirm this but, you might be able to get away with using templates that were previously scaled to your size with a cardstock template.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back